Eight years ago, Cilan and his brothers were arrested and sentenced to death for their crimes. They escaped and now live as normal civilians. One major element that helped Cilan was meeting a young girl named "Iris" while jailed.
Not to be confused with the children's book Chrysanthemum.
Chrysanthemums provides examples of:
- Child Soldiers: The Shadow Triad are in their teens yet have already been trained for years. Iris mentions their youth when talking to Cilan. Their age also makes their execution uncomfortable to many viewers.Iris: " I was wondering what you looked like behind that mask."
Cilan: "We're criminals. No one wants to know what the face of a killer looks like."
Iris: "But you're just a child, like me."
- Dark Fic: It's a fanfic about how Cilan was raised a terrorist after being saved from death by Ghetsis. Years afterwards, he narrowly escaped execution after being arrested in Opelucid City.
- Dark and Troubled Past: As children, the Striation Trio were rescued by Ghetsis. They followed his orders and revered him. They spent several years killing, stealing, and doing under criminal deeds under his orders, until he was arrested.
- Defusing the Tyke Bomb: Iris helps Cilan by befriending him. After Ghetsis' arrest, Cilan and his brothers began doing odd jobs here and there. They eventually decided on becoming connoisseurs.
- Flower Motif: Flowers are mentioned repeatedly in reference to their floral language meaning.
- Off with His Head!: The "traditional Unovan method of execution" is beheading with a Haxorus' tusk.
- Prison Rape: Cilan, Cress, and Chili are raped by prison guards. It doesn't go unnnoticed. The guards get arrested and executed.
- Public Execution: A standard form of execution is publicly beheading criminals.
- Secret Keeper: Iris is one of the few who knows that the Striation Trio used to be the Shadow Triad.