Kill or Be Killed is a Girls' Generation/Super Junior crossover Dark Fic written by Asianfanfics.com user xXxCatsLoverxXx.
In the story, the two groups are put in an environment a la The Hunger Games set up by the owner of the label they're on, Lee Soo-man (of SM Entertainment). They have three rules:
- Kill or be killed
- Hunt or be hunted
- Work together with a partner to kill someone
Tropes contained in this fanfic:
- Alas, Poor Villain: Taeyeon's death. She was only turned into a villain because she wanted to avenge Leeteuk's death so badly, but it grew to the point where she had to be killed by one of her own to stop her. Right before she dies, the POV switches to her as she reunites with Leeteuk in the afterlife.
- Amusement Park of Doom: The final act of the story takes place at one. Donghae, Hyoyeon, and Yoona all die on rides, while Heechul is killed on a deadly carousel.
- Anti-Villain: Taeyeon, who is fueled by The Lost Lenore to avenge their death, only to become so entangled in her thirst for revenge that she snaps.
- Attack Its Weak Point: Yoona's stomach, which gets attacked three times, the first being when a glass shard is thrown at it, turning it into a weak point.
- Big "NO!": Eunhyuk as Donghae falls to his death.
- Bittersweet Ending: Sunny and Yesung are the winners. Ryeowook is stabbed by Sunny, who is taken with Yesung by their respective group managers. Ryeowook is left to bleed to death until Sooyoung arrives and tends to his wounds before leaving him, requesting that he take care of Ryeowook as she leaves to find a new life, unsure if she can forgive him for what he did. Additionally, Jessica manages to escape the amusement park after faking her death.
- Book Ends: The first chapter is called "Everything Starts With His Death". The final chapter is called "Everything Ends With His Death".
- Chekhov's Gun: Sunny's first-aid kit, reasonably. She uses it to nurse Yoona after she gets stabbed with a glass shard, and Yoona uses it to nurse Sooyoung after she gets stabbed by Ryeowook.
- Combat Stilettos: In the aptly titled "High Heels is a Form of Weapon Too", Yoona stabs Seohyun with her high heels.
- Deadpan Snarker: Kyuhyun.
Eunhyuk: Damn you to hell!
Kyuhyun: Did I hear correctly? You damned me to hell? Oh no. Guess I have to go to a church.
- Dead Sidekick: Kyuhyun to Eunhyuk.
- Disney Villain Death: Hyoyeon, whose seat gives way on the rollercoaster. Ryeowook stops her from falling, but ultimately decides to let her go.
- Faking the Dead: Jessica, who is "stabbed" by Heechul and plays dead long enough for someone to come and pronounce her dead. She eventually escapes the amusement park alive.
- Haunted House: The aptly-titled Haunted House, where Leeteuk died, and to a lesser extent the House of Mirrors, where Taeyeon died.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Yoona allows Yesung to let her go after her seat gives way on a rollercoaster.
- He Who Fights Monsters: How Taeyeon became a villain.
- Sunny had the exact same thing happen to her, and her wants to avenge her lover's death almost caused history to repeat. Additionally, right before Yoona is let go, she tells Yesung to tell Sunny not to go down the same road.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Sunny attempts this on Taeyeon in the House of Mirrors after she attempts to kill her. It doesn't work.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Without any food or drink, the group members are resorted to thinking about murdering people just to cannibalize them. It's stated that Tiffany dies for this reason.
- I Will Only Slow You Down: Yoona's seat breaks on a rollercoaster, and she is grabbed by Yesung before she can fall, but convinces him to let her go since she is ready for death and even if Yesung ignored her, she'd have nowhere to go and she would tire out Yesung's arm.
- Killing in Self-Defense: How Taeyeon and Seohyun die.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Poor innocent Sunny has to be the one to plunge a glass shard into Taeyeon's heart to stop her murderous rampage.
- The Lost Lenore:
- Leeteuk acts like this for Taeyeon.
- In a sense, Tiffany can be qualifiable as being one for Yoona.
- Sungmin acts like this for Sunny.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After stabbing Sooyoung, Ryeowook breaks down after realizing that his hatred towards himself had won over his love for her.
- Not Quite Dead: Sooyoung survived Ryeowook's stabbing thanks to Yoona saving her. The reveal that she's still alive is especially shocking since it was insinuated that she died immediately.
- Rage Against the Reflection: Ryeowook takes an axe to the mirror after being endlessly pestered, mocked, and ridiculed by a hallucination of Sooyoung.
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies: Or just Tiffany.
- Timed Mission: The maze race, which has everyone deciding who they're working with before the cutoff time (10 am) is reached.
- Too Dumb to Live: Sooyoung got to learn the lesson that no one is trustworthy, but unfortunately had to learn that lesson moments before being stabbed.
- Wham Line: At the end of chapter 14, after Yesung follows someone into the Haunted House.
"Well, [Yoona] asked me to tell Ryeowook that he is not a monster for killing...." Yesung trailed off. I smiled. "For killing...?" I asked, raising my eyebrow. "You [Sooyoung]," he replied.