Drama Redux is a Total Drama fan-fiction written by EternalInsanity787
The story-line is effectively a reboot of the Total Drama franchise, starting with Total Drama Island itself (currently the only season completed), though it is expected that the other seasons will follow in order. The episode structure and challenges remain mostly the same as in canon, though twists for both are thrown in later on down the road. For characters, there is actually mix and match between all generations of the show - with no Original Characters being present as contestants.
Unlike the previous reboot series that Eternal had worked on, this series strives for a more "family friendly" rating, more akin to the canon show, rather than exploding into completely M-rated insanity. That said though, there are still some themes in this series that the canon show hasn't yet shown to do.
There are two primary versions of the fic - one on Archive of Our Own and another on good ol' DeviantART. This is relevant because both versions actually contain differences between eachother - Archive of Our Own is more united and uncut while DA is more separated and has removed content.
This Fic contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: It's heavily implied that Mike has these.
- Alpha Bitch: Heather, who is also this in the canon series as well and retains this in the fic by continuing to be very cruel and by causing the most eliminations of any antagonistic contestants within the currently finished season.
- Consolation Prize: In the finale episode, the first commercial segment reveals that the contestants actually get one this time around.Announcer: In addition though, all contestants of Total Drama Island who dont win, will be mailed this as their consolation prize! What a deal!
- Darker and Edgier: Some of the commercial segments have rather dark undertones to them, and it is implied that Mike went through harsh child abuse.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both Noah and Emma fit this role, retaining this role from canon largely due to retaining their personalities.
- Expy: Mostly appearing in the commercials, there are numerous expies to real life celebrities and other pop culture figures. The most recurring of these is Dr. Bill - a very obvious expy of Dr. PhilDr. Bill: We have a report, that the young man said, you touched his chest and his bum.
- Love Triangle: Cody/Courtney/Duncan (though Cody's love is one-sided)
- Mistaken for Gay: The friendship between Cody and Dave is taken by the others to be more than friendship on multiple occasions.Duncan: Because I just do. Now just go run off back to your boyfriend before I change my mind about the face thing.Dave: (DEEP blush and shocked face) What?! NO! Its not like that! Why would you think its like THAT?!
- Parody Sue: The entire point of the character Maria Susan is to be this, down to her nick name being an overly gothic nightmare of a long name and her design and liking of one particular boy over the rest being very reminiscent of a certain goth girl from a certain infamous badfic/troll fic.Maria Susan: IT'S RAVEN DARKNESS PANDORA DYSENTERY EBONY VAMPIRA CANCER!
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Sugar, who constantly refers to Heather as "tranny" and outright calls Sky anorexic.
- Retcon: In the first episode, the original reboot series that Eternal wrote is retconned into something written by Maria Susan.
- Running Gag:
- Script Fic: The entire fiction is written like this, as if it were a screenplay or script for a real season of the show, though prose like descriptions are invoked when no dialogue is occurring.
- Shout-Out: In the commercial segments, there are numerous references to fellow fanfics and authors who are friends to Eternal, often these also partake in running gags themselves.
- Take That!: The consolation prize that the eliminated campers get is a jab at Tom and Jerry and their numerous pointless crossover films.