Anthony Declan James Slattery (born 9 November 1959) is a comedian and actor still best known for his appearances on the early UK series of Whose Line Is It Anyway?. In the '80s he was in the Cambridge Footlights alongside Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson, and went on to be ubiquitous on TV panel shows and the like. However, his career was curtailed in the mid-'90s by a nervous breakdown, caused by undiagnosed bipolar disorder for which he self-medicated with drugs and alcohol.
Despite recovering and going on to work on a variety of shows and films (including Kingdom (2007) in 2007-8), today he is rather obscure; if you hear him mentioned in modern Britain it will usually be at the end of the sentence "Whatever happened to Tony Slattery?" His partner is actor Mark Michael Hutchinson.
Has appeared in:
- Coronation Street
- The Crying Game
- ITV's Just a Minute adaptation
- Kingdom (2007)
- Peter's Friends
- This Is David Harper
- Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Just A Gigolo
Associated tropes include:
- Beard of Evil: Grew one in order to play a pantomime villain in 2008.
- Big Guy, Little Guy / Fat and Skinny: With Mike McShane in their double-act improv show S&M. Although Tony was actually 5'11" and slightly overweight himself, Mike was so tall and fat that he looked little by comparison.
- Character Tics: Pushing back his fringe with one hand, especially when nervous or directly after a scene.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: Dominant element of his comedy persona.
- Reality Subtext: Used to mention unnecessarily specific drugs during skits ("Have you been taking methyl dexamphetamine sulphate?"). This isn't just a potential Funny Aneurysm in light of his real life drug abuse - he's actually interested in pharmacology and likes to memorise the details of their names and composition.
- Running Gag: 'Patricia.'