Daniel John Ford Padilla (born April 26, 1995 in Manila, Philippines) is a Filipino actor and recording artist of Filipinonote and White descent. He belongs to the famous Padilla clan of the Philippines, practically a show-business equivalent of Blue Blood. He is the most successful celebrity among the Padillas third generation by a long shot. His mother, the half-White American and half-Filipino Karla Estrada (born Carla Ford), is also an actress. Padilla is fluent in Waray, as well as Tagalog and English.
He first caught Philippine audiences attention when he was brought in as a temporary replacement for Kathryn Bernardos love team partner in the teen show Growing Up (2010).explanation Padilla was later cast to play a Romantic Runner-Up in Princess and I (2012), but the KathNiel fandom proved so formidable that the teleseryes conclusion was rewritten so that Bernardos character Mikay Maghirang would end up with Padillas, Gino dela Rosa.
Hes known for keeping the legacy of magnetic Padilla bad boy charms alive. However, unlike his father Rommel, uncle Robin, and aunt BB Gandangharinote , who were all known as action stars, Daniel Padillas bread-and-butter has always been romance. In what could be seen as a reflection of changing times, Padillas niche was quickly established as the Troubled, but Cute bad boy with a prominent soft side masculine and exciting, but sensitive and approachable. Probably best summarized by his 2013 ad campaign for the snack brand Oishi, titled #MedyoBadBoy (roughly translated as slightly/somewhat a bad boy in English).
A Teen Idol of monumental proportions, Padilla was the first-ever Filipino to beat out international competition as Global Slime Star at Nickelodeons Kids Choice Awards in 2015. His film and TV career as Teen King was inarguably profitable yet polarizing, as well as his Idol Singer endeavors; public opinion has generally been much kinder as he entered his twenties, however, with Padilla earning secure respect as a household name. Padilla and Bernardos final (for now) offering as an onscreen couple, The Hows of Us (2018), was the highest-grossing Filipino film in history until Bernardos Hello, Love, Goodbye broke the record sans Padilla. Despite no longer featuring in projects together, Bernardo and Padilla are still officially dating, and apparently have been since 2012. They made a return as an onscreen couple in The House Arrest of Us (2020) — no relation to the 2018 film. The show was one of ABS-CBN's most successful releases in 2020.
Padilla also garnered praise for his performance in 2021's Kun Maupay Man It Panahon (English: Whether the Weather is Fine), a disaster drama film about 2013's Super Typhoon Haiyan, set in Tacloban (his mother's hometown, where Padilla briefly lived as a child). It also marks his first time speaking in the Waray language onscreen.
- Gimik 2010 (2010) as Daniel Ledesma
- Growing Up (20112012) as Patrick Rivero
- Sisterakas (2012) as Angelo Santos
- Princess and I (20122013) as Gerald Antonio Gino dela Rosa/Dasho Yuan Rinpoche
- Must Be... Love (2013) as Billy Fernandez
- Pagpag: Siyam na Buhay (2013) as Cedric Castillo
- Got to Believe (20132014) as Joaquin Manansala
- Shes Dating the Gangster (2014) as Kenji delos Reyes/Kenneth delos Reyes
- Crazy Beautiful You (2015) as Kiko Alcantara
- Barcelona: A Love Untold (2016) as John Elias Eli Antonio
- Cant Help Falling in Love (2017) Jose Ibarra Dos Gonzales Jr.
- Gandarrapiddo! The Revenger Squad (2017) as Chino Mariposque
- La Luna Sangre (20172018) as Tristan Toralba
- The Hows of Us (2018) as Primo Alvarez
- The House Arrest of Us (2020) as Enrico "Korics" de Guzman
- Kun Maupay Man It Panahon/Whether the Weather is Fine (2021) as Miguel
Tropes associated with his works:
- Actor Allusion: The Oishi hashtag "#MedyoBadBoy" also alludes to his uncle Robin who did the action flicks Bad Boy and Bad Boy 2.
- Fake Nationality: Padilla's character in Princess and I is a lost prince of a kingdom called Yangdon, which is based on the real-life South Asian nation Bhutan.
- Star-Making Role: Princess and I established his popularity (to the point that the show's conclusion was rewritten so his character would be promoted to Bernardo's endgame love interest). However, the turning point for his career was probably She's Dating the Gangster, as it solidified his box office power.