Gandarrapiddo! The Revenger Squad is a 2017 Philippine action/comedy superhero film directed by Joyce Bernal and starring Vice Ganda, Daniel Padilla, and Pia Wurtzbach. It is distributed and produced by Star Cinema, serving as an official entry to the 2017 Metro Manila Film Festival.
The film tells about Emy, a former superheroine who tries to make his adopted brother Chino live a normal life, but an evil from the past returns as they save the world. They also have to deal with Cassandra, Emy's actual sister, who joins the Big Bad to spread evil to the world.
Gandarrapiddo! The Revenger Squad provides examples of:
- Big Bad: Mino, a supervillain who is trapped in the mirror. He relies on Cassandra/Kweenie to enact his Evil Plan. He only acts personally in the finale and gives the heroes a Curb-Stomp Battle.
- Big Eater: Peppa.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Played for laughs, obviously.
- An angry Chino addresses Peppa, who tells her son to save his grievances for later when they're done filming. Karla Estrada is, of course, Daniel Padilla's Real-Life Relative (none other than his mother).
- Later, they outright show the cameras shooting as Emy demands to know the answers to her questions from the director, Joyce Bernal.
- Butt-Monkey: Bul-Dog, Bokbok, Luzluz, and Peppa.
- Camp Gay: Emy, courtesy of Vice Ganda.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Chino's superhero attire. Subverted when he was Brainwashed and Crazy by Mino.
- HeelFace Turn: Cassandra, after realizing that Emy loves her.
- Mr. Exposition: Despite being a small child, Juvee is Wise Beyond His Years. Lampshaded when Emy calls him a show-off for answering every single one of the questions she asks during her exaggerated Wangst monologue.
- Punny Name: Bokbok, Luzluz, and Bul-Dog. Their superhero names also played this trope straight: Higopa, Pospora, and Flawlessa.
- Running Gag:
- Bokbok's pores.
- Peppa and food. Do the math.
- Peppa, a fat woman who is the Mariposques' neighbor, is named after Peppa Pig. Subtle. Her superhero alias combines Barney and Darna and her attire is based on Jollibee, a popular fast food chain in the Philippines.
- Emy's transformation and attire into Gandarra is inspired by Sailor Moon and Ever Wing, a popular Facebook browser game. Her name is based on Sandara Park, a 2NE1 member who is well-known in the Philippines prior to her South Korean debut in 2008.
- The film's title is a thinly-veiled reference to both The Avengers and Suicide Squad. Indeed, it was first revealed under the working title The Revengers, before it was later changed presumably to avoid any trademark issues with Disney who currently owns the rights to the Marvel franchises.
- Trailers Always Spoil: The Main Trailer shows : Cassandra/Kweenie fighting alongside Emy and Chino.