- In heaven, the police are British, the lovers are Italian, the chefs are French, the engineers are German, and the bankers are Swiss.
There is potentially a character for every country that exists now or ever has, even ones that were never independent countries like Hong Kong, and supernational states like the Holy Roman Empire. The human names are technically not canon, but nonetheless are mentioned (although they are Word of God they're not used in the manga aside from two dubious instances in strips and one of the image songs note ; they don't appear on the website and they were deleted with the author's original site blog). Nevertheless they're popular in fandom, mostly because many people don't like using the actual country names in fanfic. It also helps that the creator of Hetalia is open at least to the idea of human names.
And given how many there already are, as well as the real life world history, it should come as no surprise that the original main characters (Germany, Italy, Japan, America, England, France, Russia, China) have been supplemented by a whole world of major, minor and periphery characters. It's reached the point that finding out who the main characters are is a largely moot point (unless for formality's sake) when a good chunk of the ensemble have been given fandoms and their own time to shinenote .
- The Axis Click to expand
- The Allies Click to expand
- Central Europe Click to expand
- Western Europe Click to expand
- Southern Europe Click to expand
- Southeast Europe Click to expand
- Eastern Europe Click to expand
- Northern Europe Click to expand
- The Americas Click to expand
- East Asia Click to expand
- South and Southeast Asia Click to expand
- Oceania Click to expand
- Africa Click to expand
- Micronations Click to expand
- Ancient Nations Click to expand
- Regions Click to expand
- Japanese Prefectures Click to expand
- Gender Flip Versions Click to expand