I Dream of Mimi (or Buttobi CPU) is a Japanese OVA series created by Kaoru Shintani. It's about a nerdy student named Akira Takaoka who saved money to buy a new personal computer, only to find out that they're sold out. Then he buys what he believes to be the same model in a box from a shady man in an alley, only to find out that it's actually a bio-android who looks like a young lady. Even worse, she'll require his active molecules to refresh her memory.
The OVAs were produced by studio Pink Pineapple under director Masamitsu Hidaka and published in 1997. Only three OVAs were created, with a total runtime of 83 minutes. For tropes related to the manga series see this page.
The OVA provides examples of:
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Shimada had blond hair in the manga, but those were changed to brown here.
- Adapted Out: Some characters, like Remi and Yachiyo from the manga, don't appear here.
- Body Uploading: Some scenes involve Mimi and Akira entering cyberspace to battle the Nackintosh gynoids.
- Bridal Carry: Happens in the first episode, where Akira carries Mimi to the bathroom and hide from a rogue android. He even tells that she's light for a Robot Girl, presumably because of the advanced technology or body frame used in creating her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Serves as Mimi's Berserk Button, as she doesn't like it when Akira gets a bit close to other women.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Forte. At first, she's thought of being an antagonist to the main characters, but her situation tells otherwise, and at the end, she becomes close with Akira and Mimi.
- Deus Sex Machina: Mimi was designed as a Sexbot, constantly needing Akira's semen to refresh her physical data.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Even the girls at Akira's school fawn over Mimi, who is posing as his distant cousin from Colombia. They're totally unaware that she's a robot.
- Eye Catch: These are shown halfway through episodes, featuring the Buttobi CPU logo and Mimi in a fanservicey position.
- Fiery Redhead: For a Robot Girl, Mimi is quite feisty.
- Godiva Hair: Mimi's hair covers her breasts very often.
- Last Episode, New Character: Performa only appears in the third and final OVA.
- "L" Is for "Dyslexia": If only Akira had noticed the way the number was printed on the box, never mind the fact that the 'computer' weighed more than he did.
- Ms. Fanservice: All the gynoids get some fanservice, but Mimi and Quadra qualify for this title the most. The former gets the most naked scenes, while the latter has generous curves and a dress to show them off.
- Naked First Impression: Akira sees Mimi naked when he opens the box.
- No Ending: Similar to a lot of Eroge series of the 80's and 90's, the series was done as a quick series of OAV.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: The anime has three episodes, the manga has six "Accesses". Quite a lot of manga material wasn't adapted.
- Robot Girl: When he gets home, Akira is shocked to find that his new computer is actually a gynoid. What's even more frustrating is that she constantly needs his semen to refresh her physical data. The evil Macs are also designed to be Sexbots.
- Robosexual: The premise of the anime and manga.
- Sexbot: Mimi was designed as one, due to a manufacturing oversight. She also constantly needs Akira's semen to refresh her physical memory.
- Sequel Hook: Episode 3 ends with "PROGRAM END. NEXT COMMAND?" Well, we probably won't get the next command since it's been so long after the series ended.
- Take That!: The OVA has a pretty clear potshot at Apple, with evil Macs who want to take over the Japanese computer market, named after the codenames for the Mac family of the then-present.