Must be Monday. New podcast! Just click on the fancy logo below.
Jix is a sci-fi webcomic by Micah McNully about a blue-furred alien princess with multiple personalities named Jix (and Remula, and Lamerix, and "The Ambis") who lives with a human family consisting of Lauren Akana, her husband Paul, and daughter Alice, in New York. Joining them are Jix's brother Romulus (actually her cousin Caligos), and two droids Dyonus and Dyona. Can be found on Drunkduck
or a mirror site
Includes examples of:
- A Boy and His X: Okay, a girl and an alien.
- Affably Evil: Remula's father is this, believe it or not. He may be a intergalactical tyrant that is more than willing to achive revenge on anyone who crosses his path. However, as show in this trip, he's a suprisingly reasonable individual with you clear your mistake, is polite, and it's wort to metion that he only tried to kill Remulus because he believed that he kidnapped his daughter. Yep, he deeply cares for his family.
- Alien Among Us
- Alien Animals: foxes share a common ancestor with Ambis and another alien race known as Amblians, thanks to the meddling of the Tarians.
- Almighty Janitor: As show in the Deliverance Arc, Paul is more than capable to bully the whole hospital to do what he wants, despite being just a paramedic.
- Alternate Universe: The Colony and Queen arcs take place in an alternate universe where the Ambis conquered earth.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Blue, red, green, black, white, and purple Ambis have all been spotted.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: How Jix emerged.
- Art Evolution: Pretty impressive, especially since Jix got a mouth.
- Attractive Bent Species: Evidently both Jix and Lauren under the effects of the species-swap ray.
- Body Backup Drive: Dyonus and Dyona have pulled that trick due to being AIs, though Dyona had to share Dyonus's body for a while.
- Bounty Hunter: Pratos, also known as Aranis. Mericax is another one.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Not uncommon for characters to joke about Micah.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Multiple times, once Remula had to take a bath after Jix pissed herself.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Slowly and downplayed to the point of near-aversion, because despite the character driven arcs, mild world bulding and some of the most surreal aspects of the webicomic being explained (or at least Hand Waved), the webcomic is still pretty comedic and slice-a-life style, and the Fourt Wall Breaking never stops.
- Complete Immortality: The Planet Thief and everyone he's given immortality to Aragara, Maricax, Heleatra...
- Contagious A.I.: When Aranis tried to get rid of Dyonus he retaliated by infecting her armor and the house's computers.
- Crossover: Frequently with Micah's other comic Dragon City
- Cyborg: In Heleatra's introductory arc "Ghost in the Shell" she received a prosthetic body due to a degenerative genetic disorder. Until Remula made a deal with Kelelder to get her a Healing Factor.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Atra's human form.
- Data Pad: Jix once compared the iPad to her own species' tablet computers.
- Deadly Game: In "The Gauntlet" Lauren is kidnapped onto an alien game show where she is hunted and has to get off world.
- The Dog Is An Alien: Jix and other Ambis are often mistaken for such.
- The Empire: The Ambis Empire.
- Fourth Wall Mail Slot: Ask Remula
- Gadgeteer Genius: Lamerix, and Remula in her spare time.
- Gender Bender: One of Lamerix's inventions.
- God Emperor: Kelelder the Planet Thief
- Holographic Disguise: The droids have them integrated and the Ambis have watches that can project 'em.
- Hulking Out: Ambis can usually turn into a "feral mode" at will, size depends on age and skill.
- Hyperspace Arsenal: Used to explain where Ambis without clothes hide their guns. And where their extra mass in feral mode comes from.
- Incest Is Relative: There are an unusual number of jokes about incest (starting with the arc where Jix thought she was pregnant and the only male Ambis on earth was her "brother") but the closest thing that actually happened was Kelelder impregnating his distant descendant Aranis.
- Interface Spoiler: The First, Previous, Next, and Latest comic buttons have images of Jix's four personalities, which serves to spoil the reveal during the arc that introduces the fourth, The Ambis.
- Interspecies Romance: Between Jix and Wayne, albeit mediated by Lamerix's species exchanger.
- Jerkwitha Heartof Gold: Paul is often show as a cynical, nearly humorless young adult that almost never leaves the Sarcasm Mode and serves as the "unidimensional" Deadpan Snarker of the strips. However, according to the autor, Paul is very kind and caring of Lauren, even i he doesn't shows this often. this strip confirms his status. Later, in "'Kaijou''" Arc, after one of Lametrix's inventions accidently realeased a giant monster in New York and nearly killed Lauren and their unborn daughter, Paul was none to pleased with the results and make's Lauren promised to have more control over Jix personalities citing that their recent actions are getting way to reckless for their safety.
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better: Most ranged weapons are slugthrowers. The author claims he doesn't like rayguns.
- Laser Blade: "I can't help but think we're ripping something off."
- Let's Get Dangerous: In this strip, everyone does this.
- Low Culture, High Tech: The Ambis got most of their advanced tech from another species who tried to invade their homeworld centuries ago.
- Mad Scientist: Lamerix, she builds stuff like gender or species swap rays and interdimensional teleporters out of boredom.
- The Men In Black
- Multicultural Alien Planet: The Ambis have multiple languages and cultures, but Remula's is the dominant one, to the extent that her native language is called "Ambis Common".
- Multiple Personalities: Jix/Remula/Lamerix/The Ambis
- Enemy Without: Remula attempted to give herself her own body with a cloning machine, unfortunately it just copied them, both of them.
- Split Personality Merge: Jix and Remula gave it a try early on, didn't work out.
- Neural Implanting: Ambis have language downloaders to explain how they can learn english so easily, and how Lauren learned Ambis common.
- Non-Mammal Mammaries: Up until around comic 790 all female Ambis had six small nipples, but then Lamerix used a breast enhancer to give herself/Jix and Atra human-style breasts because she thought they seemed useful (and the artist wanted to make them look more feminine).
- One of Us: Refers to a couple tropes by name
- One-Winged Angel: Ambis species is capable to turn into a "fierce", monstrous form when they want to went into battle. Jix has done this since the beggining of the strip, and as shown into this strip, the Fierce Form greatly varies from an Ambis to Ambis, from a slightly hideous aspect to a hulkling brute. It's also later explained that how large (and monstrous) an Ambis Fierce form can get depends on the latters age and experience in the use of it.
- Patronymic: The character page reveals that Ambis take their father's first names as last names.
- Perception Filter: In "The Fugitive" arc an Ambis grifter hiding out on earth uses one to pose as a dog, but Jix sees through it because she's insane and Atra didn't know what a dog was so she saw some Rosimban rat-thing.
- Rapid Aging: Aragara was subjected to that by her father, she's only a year or two old and already taller than her mother and cousins.
- Robosexual: Dyonus has a rather one-sided crush on Jix.
- Running Gag: Lauren and Paul being mistaken for Asians (they're Hawaiian).
- Samus Is a Girl: Jix initially assumed she was male, having no memories of Ambis anatomy. And Micah admits that he hadn't decided to make her a girl until Caligos' introduction. Jix's fourth personality and Pratos also count, having their genders obscured by their armor.
- Saving Christmas: The "Substitute Santa" arc where Caligos accidentally makes Santa throw his back out and has to fill in.
- Scars Are Forever: The scars from various injuries Jix, Caligos, and Aranis have suffered persist. Justified as Ambis consider scars "badges of honor."
- Shout Out: To several different sci-fi series, mostly Portal and Team Fortress 2.
- Dyonus watching Red Dwarf.
- Paul and Caligos are bronies, and so are Dyonus, Wayne, and Alice.
- Characters are commonly depicted watching Die Hard.
- One Christmas arc has Caligos confront an "intruder" on the roof, scaring him into falling off of it. Santa denies that it's exactly like The Santa Clause, because he survived the fall.
- Talking To Themself
- There Can Be Only One: Jix actually quotes Highlander when killing her clone, the original Remula doesn't find it very amusing.