Joyride is the tale of Rei, a nurse who gets lost in another galaxy where medicine is barely understood and her knowledge has the certain power to change everything.Rei was just a nurse studying herbal remedies. She long ago dreamed of exploring the stars, and meeting new people out in space. But a death in the family made her realize that she was better suited to attend to more earthly concerns, like medicine. And as for those other people she dreamed of meeting amid the stars? She forgot about them. It seems, however, that those 'other people' didn't forget about her...
- Aliens Are Bastards: Inverted/subverted; the Aindanse see all Offworlders as untrustworthy.Rei: Haven't you ever heard of the phrase "innocent until proven guilty"?Rafeal: What kind of ridiculous Offworlder saying is that?
- Aliens Speaking English: Via translator nanites. Cultural concepts and traditions are left untranslated.
- Aloof Big Brother: Rafeal, to balance Micheal
- Alt Text
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Micheal, to balance Rafeal
- No Periods, Period: Averted. One of the first things Micheal finds while rummaging through Rei's purse is...well...a pad.
- Ordinary Medical Intern
- Pardon My Klingon: Sveara he!
- Petting Zoo People
- Product Placement: Butterfingers really should be paying Kao.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Used extensively.
- Translator Microbes
- Trapped in Another World: 'Not in Kansas' indeed.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: It's implied that Rei was one before a death in the family.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair: Rei, the human has purple hair; whilst the two aliens we first meet have auburn hair. This is offset by them having blue and green skin.