"An island of grey floating in an icy sea. Ships come, and people come, but nobody leaves. Their eyes change first.""Judecca", a webcomic by Jonathan Meecham and Noora Heikkilä, takes place on an island in a river in Hell, and follows the lonely souls who dwell there. Sharky, who gets his name from looking like a shark, and his roommate Fredrick Dickenson (a rabbit and former banker), find themselves with an uninvited guest: a young girl with a Glasgow smile. In Hell any little thing that breaks up the monotony is a gift, but as Sharky and the young woman’s friendship grows, this ripple might threaten to stir up worse muck then they could imagine.
This comic provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: While well drawn from the start, the style improves drastically by the start of the second chapter. Compare the first page, with this
- Animal Motifs: rabbits, birds and sharks oh my! Heck Lily and Cleo when discussing their peers refer to them by their animal motifs.
- Blinding Bangs: Lilith on occasion, especially in her early appearance.
- Cute Mute: Nayko. Kharon even refers to her as "little silence"
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Averted, Lilith raping Sharky is played for as much horrifying drama as the situation would warrant in real life with the added horror of Lilith's powers. What makes it worse is what she does afterwards and the implications it leaves as to her prior victims.
- Fisher King: Muiol is implied to be this, the environment in his immediate presence changes to reflect his mood, he can feel and see events happening on the island to a degree, and it is implied by Sharkey's commentary that he runs the place either officially or behind the scenes.
- Fisher Kingdom: The island will transform you into an ironic representation of who you were in life, according to Sharky. Though apparently it can be stayed off as Nayako begins to transform from rage, but the process is reversed by Charon
- Glasgow Smile: poor Nayko
- Hot Witch: Lilith
- I'm a Humanitarian: Lilith, though technically they aren't human by the time she eats them.
- Mismatched Eyes: Lilith has one light blue eye and one dark blue eye
- Mundane Afterlife: So far the island does not appear to be much different from earthly life, with the exception of the changes it inflicts on the inhabitants and the general dreariness. Business goes on much as it would in a regular town.
- The Ferry Man: Kharon the boatman, named after the Trope Codifier. His job is to ferry people inland to the swamp, though this is apparently only part of the journey for some.
- Wretched Hive: Cleo's