Webcomic: Does Not Play Well With Others
Michael Poe's (Exploitation Now, Errant Story) new gag-a-day webcomic, starring Francesca (a college age wizardess) and her roommate, Naga (a, er, Naga).Started at the beginning of 2011. Signs so far point to it being closer in tone to the first rather than the second of his previous series. Can be found — surprisingly — at http://www.doesnotplaywellwithothers.com
This comic provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Craig admits to Janis that he calls the Artificer "Tekmage" because during their first fight he was so nervous he couldn't remember the real name, so he just made one up on the spot. He kept doing it because he saw how much it annoyed him.
- Alt Text: Generally containing commentary and alternative punchlines or continuations on them.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Amusingly justified and lampshaded. See Nipple and Dimed. Comes full circle to an aversion in later comics, after the webcomic moved to it's own domain name: Naga loses her shirt in an Out-of-Clothes Experience and both Scenery Censor and Barbie Doll Anatomy are averted. Amusingly, the nipples go from a dot, to a undefined circle where the areola are, to being fully detailed over the next few strips.
- Book Dumb: Craig fully admits to being barely literate ("I spent my teenage years on a planet two hundred light years away fighting a robot overlord"), but he tends to play up his stupidity, and is actually rather clever when it comes to things that directly relate to his job as a superhero. For example, he has an excellent memory, recalling a random friend Janis made up to explain her absence one time, and later instantly recognizes "Ann" as a robot.
- Dating Catwoman: Falchion and Tekmage are archenemies, but are dating. Not that Falchion is aware of this; he thinks that Tekmage is male, and his girlfriend is Tekmage's daughter.
- Dark and Troubled Past: To varying degrees, mostly played for laughs. Naga is a constant disappointment to her family. Francesca's mother is a "dance naked under the moon" style Wiccan, with such charming parenting tactics as sleeping with her daughter's first boyfriend to make sure he knew what he was doing (which Francesca walked in on). Seth is an orphan elf raised by Jews who has been persecuted for being an elf, being Jewish, and being gay (which he's not). Nikki became a vampire after her mother died of breast cancer. Craig is a superhero with an abusive father who used mind-control pheromones to make the rest of the world see him as a selfless hero, and spent his formative years on the other side of the galaxy fighting various evil overlords. Craig's sister, though not seen, has it worse, as until their father sacrificed himself to save the world, her boyfriends tended to disappear under mysterious circumstances. Janis hasn't gone into much detail, but her parents are conspicuously absent and she's missing an arm, not to mention the times she's muttered about not being able to go to school as a child. For added humor, the one with the worst past by far is a random member of Nikki's blood stable, who tells a story about how her parents were murdered and she and her little sister had to prostitute themselves to survive.Francesca: IT'S NOT A COMPETITION!
- Even Evil Has Standards:
- Inverted. Falchion finds one of Tekmage's schemes to have such a low "evil" content that he just can't bring himself to foil it.Tekmage: Mheh... I knew there was a reason I let you fuck me on the first date.
Tekmage: I said, I knew there was a reason my daughter let you fuck her on the first date.
Falchion: Okay, that's not weird and awkward at all...
- During the 2012 elections and American government shutdown, Tekmage can't bring herself to do anything particularly destructive, comparing it to kicking retarded puppies.
- Inverted. Falchion finds one of Tekmage's schemes to have such a low "evil" content that he just can't bring himself to foil it.
- Flying Broomstick: Fran's transportation method of choice. she doesn't find it all that comfortable.
- Idiot Hair: Naga's old design.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Naga. It's ok, though, as she eats pedophiles she meets online.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Naga again — she has no nudity taboo, is actually outright opposed to the idea of wearing clothing, and only wears shirts because her contract includes royalties on any shirt designs they help sell.
- Irony: There are apparently countless in-universe Falchion/Tekmage fanfics portraying them as in a gay relationship (with Falchion as the bottom). They actually are dating... but Tekmage is a girl.
- I Thought Everyone Could Do That: See Nipple and Dimed.
- Jerkass: Par for the course for a Micheal Poe comic. Naga's the worst offender of course.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Janis poses as this when Falchion catches her outside her Tekmage armor.
- Nipple and Dimed: Naga's are retractable!
- Not Safe for Work: Heavy profanity, some nudity, violence, sacrilege....
- Only Sane Man: Seth, most of the time.
- Pay Evil unto Evil: Naga eats people. This is played up for horror... until she reveals she's been eating pedophiles she meets online and tricks into meeting up with her. That doesn't exactly make it ok, but the other characters can't bring themselves to get her to stop.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Francesca to Naga over the course of the first few strips.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: The comic takes numerous potshots at the perpetually offended social justice warriors that Tumblr has become known for.
- Rape as Drama: Discussed here.
- Samus Is a Girl: Tekmage uses a voice changer to sound male and disguise her identity.
- Sarcastic Confession: Quite knowingly used here. And the Alt Text is related to a another trope...
- Scenery Censor: The original filler comics from Errant Story used this and lampshaded it. Later strips avert it.
- Swear Jar: Fran and Naga have a "Bullshit Tumblr/SJW Words Jar", seen being used in this strip.
- Unsound Effect: John Johnson, the muscle wizard, attacks with a Ka-Fist!
- Urban Fantasy: Major characters include a Wizard, a Naga, a Vampire, an Elf, a Superhero, and a group of alien geeks.
- Villain Has a Point: On at least two occasions, Falchion has found Tekmage's goals so sympathetic that he didn't really want to stop him. On one of them, he actually did take a dive and let Tekmage succeed.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Tekmage's actual ideology seem to be nothing more sinister than mainstream American liberalism. It's just that she pursues it by means of killer satellites and mind control rays...