Web Animation / Walrusguy
Nicholas Walstrom, better known by his Walrusguy
moniker, is one of the most notable YouTube Poop
-ers, often hailed as potentially the
best during his heyday (in the genre's golden age), along with Deepercutt
(the two were considered by various fans as singular rivals for a long time).
He rose to further fame when his account got suspended by
Colgate because of his nasty Alternate Character Interpretation
of the company's mascot, the anthropomorphic hare dentist Dr. Rabbit, only for him to come back with even more Dr. Rabbit-centered poops as a response.
Unfortunately, not long after Colgate realized they shouldn't be so strict about the (mis)treatment of their "beloved" mascot, Walrusguy was hacked by anonymous hater
(s), resulting in his account being closed. He did return, but with all of his videos gone, and a message that he would quit making poops. His final work, "One More Final: I need You(tube Poop)"
, is a truly gut-wrenching
farewell to the entire world of Youtube Poop
The WalrusGuy account still exists as of 2011, but is mostly devoted to posting random stuff that wouldn't fit in on Walstrom's other page, NAveryW. He's currently working on his own Web Animation
series called Enthalpy
...Until he came back to the game, that is. After nearly two years of inactivity, he released An Unimportant Announcement
, and despite being released on April first
, he then came out with three more a month later, and since then has released them at slow but definitely certain updates. Gwonam's Gweat Adventuwe
, for example, is also his longest poop at nearly ten minutes of sentence-mixing majesty.
However, despite the fact that WalrusGuy's formerly uploaded Poops aren't on his account anymore, FEAR NOT! A particularly dedicated fan of his created an account, called WalrusGuyMEMORIAL
, in order to re-upload said lost poops, thus allowing new generations of poopers to have an example to use as a basis for their work. And unlike what happened with fellow former Pooper I Am The Gang
- who doesn't even want his own, old poops to be re-uploaded again (not that other users such as IAmThaGang or ImTheGang care)
- Walstrom himself approves of the new channel.
Walrusguy uses the following tropes in his works:
- Adaptational Villainy: Dr. Rabbit is frequently made out to be racist, pedophiliac and/or even a terrorist.
- Affectionate Parody: The Dr. Rabbit poops started out as this, but after Colgate's flagging of his videos they became much more venomous.
- Arc Words: GENDO IS A JERK
- Author Appeal: There are tons of shout outs in his poops, but Neon Genesis Evangelion undoubtedly stands above the others.*
- Bittersweet Ending: "One More Final: I Need You(tube Poop)." Both Link and Mama Luigi overcome their grief for the loss of their loved ones. It's also a bittersweet end for Walrusguy's pooping career, who made it clear he will never return to poop, thus ending an era in Youtube Poop. Until he returned.
- Black Comedy Rape: Christopher McDonald gets anally raped by flubber at the end of "Robin".
- Body Horror: In A Partially Uncensored Back to the Past, Elliot and Steph, our two heroes, get sent back in time by being sucked into a portal in Elliot's ass. Fridge Horror ensues when you realise that this means Elliot must have had to turn himself inside out to go into the portal.
- Bungled Suicide: How the events of "One More Final: I Need You(tube Poop)" happen - Link, despondent after Zelda and the King die, decides to take his own life by jumping off a bridge. He lands on Yoshi instead, slowly killing him.
- "Gwonam's Gweat Adventuwe; or, Dino Time Enough for Love". Gwonam attempts to commit suicide early on, but to make a long and senseless (It is YouTube Poop, after all) story short, he's alive by the end. To be more precise, the first suicide attempt was merely bungled. The second and third times were real; he just kept getting brought back to life, one time as a gargoyle.
- Can't You Read the Sign?: King Harkinian, Mario, Luigi, Light Yagami and the floating Mario Head all ignore the sign at Squadallah Burger saying "We only serve burgers".
- Comically Missing the Point: Luigi in the fittingly named poop "Luigi Just Won't Accept The Truth" just doesn't seem to realize that he won't be getting "lotsa spaghetti" at their picnic, even after Mario tells him that the Princess can't make spaghetti.
Luigi: Well, maybe a Koopa will lend us his!
Mario: No... can't you get the hint?
- Continuity Creep: Especially near the end, culminating in the Grand Finale. Little consistencies such as the Zelda group's dynamic and Dr. Rabbit's lust for Carmen and hatred for black people (particularly Tandi) piled up and became more established, resulting in what could almost be called a canon.
- Covert Pervert: D.W. Read, of all people, is shown peeping on an undressing woman without anyone but Nadine noticing during this Arthur YTP.
- Cruel Mercy: In "One More Final: I Need You(tube Poop)", Luigi initially tries to kill Link in revenge for Yoshi's death, but after finding out Link wants to die, he decides letting him live would be a worse punishment.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory!: The credits for "Genesis of Dr. Rabbit" note as much, claiming that he used the phrase "brush your teeth" from Dr. Rabbit's World Tour, even though he's absolutely certain the phrase also shows up in The Incredibly Ride - the source he was actually pooping for that video - because he already knew exactly where to find any given phrase from World Tour from having watched and pooped it so many times.
- Deconstruction: Walrusguy's last poop, "One More Final: I Need You(tube Poop)" was a Deconstructor Fleet for the entire Youtube Poop world* . Kinda fittingly, given the deconstructory fleet the poop is named after. You can guess to which effect.
- Dissonant Serenity:
- Downer Ending: The "Bowser the Foodstealer" trilogy unexpectedly concludes with one, which doubles as a Shout-Out to Futurama (it even uses the same music in the scene it's making a shout-out to).The White House has been thrown into the Mushroom Sea by Bowser, Kootie Pie takes over America, all the kids in America have been turned to stone, and Gwonam and Link continue waiting for Dr. Rabbit, the only person who can defeat Bowser. He never shows up.
- Driven to Suicide:
- "One More Final" does this twice. Zelda learns that the King was killed by Ganon, which drives her to overdose on sleeping pills. Link finds out the next morning, which drives him to jump off a bridge. He lands on Yoshi, who cushions his fall and is mortally wounded as a result. Once Mama Luigi comes after him with murderous intent, Link puts up no resistance, but Luigi denies Link the death he wants in the end. The poop ends in a Distant Finale, with Link visiting Zelda's grave 20 years after these events.
- Gwonam, in Gwonam's Gweat Adventuwe, when he learns Dino Time isn't coming out on the expected date. Fortunately for him, the afterlife is apparently watching the film. Unfortunately for him, he keeps coming back to life, forcing him to keep finding ways to kill himself. (Just to drive it all home, each time is accompanied with "Suicide is Painless".)
Gwonam: There is no God! There is no Jesus! There is no Allah! There is no reason for me to go on living!
- Even Evil Has Standards: As shown in "Robotnik Says the N-Word", even Grounder has a problem with racial slurs:
Grounder: Ooooh...Dr. Robotnik said a bad word!
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Subverted with Mario Farts in Luigi's Face For Twenty Four Seconds While I Play Unfitting Music.
- Fake-Out Opening:
- Fission Mailed: "Widescreen ruins Youtube Poop" plays with this trope when it uses a fake "loading ring".
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In "walrusguy where do u get the censorship beep sound effect" Zelda and King Harkinian can be seen in a car that drives by as D.W. and Grandma Thora walk down the street.
- Gag Penis: The Faces of Evil opening is redone with Link, the King and Gwonam sporting massive erections.
- Glass Cannon: Arthur, as portrayed in "Arthur's Massive Throbbing Hit". He can cover a city block in D.W.'s guts in one blow, yet one quick jab from Binky can easily kill him.
- Grand Finale: Walrusguy's last poop before being Un-Canceled.
- He's Back: He released a video on April 1, 2013, so understandably, people thought it was a prank until more videos were released in the days that followed.
- Interface Spoiler:
- Reuploads of "Morshu Accidentally Gives Link Plastic Surgery Instead of Lamp Oil" lose their impact because the lower quality of the videos as well as the widescreen resolution gives away the fact that the intrusive advertisements are fake.
- Reuploads of any of the videos that try to censor that they're all about Dr. Rabbit by making up a title involving Mama Luigi tend to not have the thumbnails they originally had, which kills the surprise.
- Killer Rabbit: Dr. Rabbit, in some incarnations.
- Lampshade Hanging: "The Only Mama Luigi Poop Anyone Has Ever Made". The title isn't just an allusion; it's Walrusguy himself admitting that, before then, the opening of Mama Luigi was just an excuse to keep Dr. Rabbit appearing until later in the video, in order to trick viewers (read: Colgate) into thinking the poop wasn't about Dr. Rabbit.*
- Manipulative Editing: It's unanimously agreed that the most evident sign of Walrusguy Growing the Beard is how good he got at this. His "last" poop, "One More Final: I Need You(tube Poop)" is a shining example, but what is widely regarded as the absolute epitome of this among his works is surely "Link Gets a Job at Gwonam's Restaurant So He Can Earn Enough Money to Buy a Playstation 3". It must be seen to be believed.
- No Fourth Wall: "Widescreen ruins Youtube Poop", although in a more subtle way, relying on the meta aspect of the trope.
- Nonindicative Name: "Mario Farts in Luigi's Face For Twenty Four Seconds While I Play Unfitting Music". Aside from the title itself, its description tries to confirm that "nothing else happens in the video", which isn't entirely true. Of course, farting in Luigi's face is the point of the video, but only at the beginning. Then, even within 24 mere seconds, there's a Halfway Plot Switch about... er, the outcome of excessive farting.
- Pretty much every video of his that has "Mama Luigi" in the title; in most cases it's just the first ten seconds of "Mama Luigi" as a Fake-Out Opening before switching to Dr. Rabbit, possibly along with another interlude to it halfway through to give the video a Mama Luigi-based thumbnail from back when custom thumbnails weren't an option ("Alright, Koopa, free the princess, or Yoshi here will eat your pepe"). "Mama Luigi Abandons Yoshi in a Supermarket" in particular has nothing to do with Mama Luigi at all outside of its thumbnail and description.
- Not That Kind of Doctor: Dr. Rabbit.
- Overly Long Gag: There's quite a few of these.
- Shout-Out: Among others, many, many to Neon Genesis Evangelion.
- Sophisticated as Hell: "Gwonam's Gweat Adventuwe" sentence-mixes the voiceover from the Dino Time trailer to recite a few relevant lines from Shakespeare's Hamlet.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: There's quite a few examples thrown in here and there, but one notable example is his first poop, in that the trope was pulled off unintentionally. Sure, the somewhat jazzy track used for the introduction may be fitting and all for a "Nicholas Walstrom presents" effect, but let's not forget the title of the poop in question is "Link Gets Cancer".
- Spiritual Successor: Waxonator.
- Stylistic Suck: "The Only Youtube Poop Walrusguy Has Ever Made Removed Because It's Horrible" is a deliberate parody of the incoherent and nonsensical Special Effects Failure that mediocre poopers try to disguise as humor. You can tell it's a parody simply because those aspects are cranked up several notches.
- Subverted Kids Show: "A Rabbit Puppet Traumatizes Some Schoolkids" has shades of this, what with the woman with the guitar introducing Dr. Rabbit by singing about how he can't wait to fuck the kids, and this exchange:
Dr. Rabbit, do you think we could learn the best way to brush our teeth today? Dr. Rabbit:
Okay. Dr. Rabbit: (to the kids) Can you say "motherf*cker"?
- Take That!: Two of his poops are entirely dedicated to mock two of YouTube's sometimes-seen-as controversial changes, namely "Widescreen ruins Youtube Poop" and "Morshu accidentally gives Link plastic surgery instead of lamp oil". The former makes fun of the pillarboxing that the widescreen player added to videos with a 4:3 aspect ratio (which, at the time, were a large majority of videos), while the latter deconstructs the effects that pop-up ads would have if they could affect the events happening in a video.
- Time Skip: Parodied after Gwonam's first suicide attempt in "Gwonam's Gweat Adventuwe", where he wakes up from a coma to see the rest of the cast exhibiting signs that he was out for a long while: Zelda holding a child, Link with a mustache, and the King with gray hair. He was only out for a month.
- Wrong Restaurant: In "Link Gets a Job at Gwonam's Restaurant So He Can Earn Enough Money to Buy a Playstation 3", when Link works at Squadallah Burger, which has a sign that says, "NOTICE: We only serve Burgers" in no uncertain terms, most of his customers try to order foods that aren't burgers. On Day One, King Harkinian tries to order a pizza; on Day Two, Light Yagami tries to order potato chips; on Day Three, Mario and Luigi try to order spaghetti; and on Day Five, the floating disembodied Mario head also tries to order a pizza. Unfortunately for Link, Duke Onkled's Diner sells all kinds of different foods, and as a result, he ends up not earning any money on Payday.