Creator / Video Brinquedo
Video Brinquedo (translates as "Toy Video" or "Video Toy") was a 3D animation studio from Brazil that can probably best be described as the CGI movie equivalent of The Asylum
: their claim to fame is creating movies that are suspiciously similar to big name box office busters
. They are known in the United States as Toyland Video, and in the United Kingdom as Brightspark.They even have an official YouTube
channel to showcase their B-cartoons. The company ceased actively animating in 2010 and went bankrupt in 2017.
See also Spark Plug Entertainment
for their American
counterpart, and Dingo Pictures
for their Limited Animation
They distributed Sonic X
, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show
, and Little Lulu
Notable Movies (and the films they are allegedly based on)
Tropes in these movies include:
- Artistic License – Physics: In The Little Cars, a race car is stopped by a piece of gum stuck to the track. Furthermore, Wrangler (the car that spit the gum onto the track in the first place), is apparently able to spit gum several hundred feet given he was behind Cruise at the time and they were both going full speed down the track.
- Batman Gambit: At the end of Little Panda Fighter, Polaris bet all of his money on Pancada losing to Teddy Thunders, and was able to hand the Bear Bar Box over to Pancada, who turns it into a dance club, while Polaris retires to somewhere nice and cold.
- Behind the Black: Twice in Tiny Robots. The first instance involves Trank telling his grandfather about a dream he had, only for the camera to pan out revealing that he's gone. The second instance is when Trank sees the ghost of his creator, then the camera angle changes, revealing he's right behind them.
: They couldn't tell because the camera was facing the other direction!
- Bilingual Bonus: Hime's name is Japanese for... princess.
- Butt-Monkey: Iria in Little Princess School. The other princesses are pretty mean to her when she gets turned into a toad. Hime even outs herself as a fantastic racist.
- Captain Ersatz:
- Catch Phrase: "Precisely!"
- Clark Kenting: Taken Up to 11 in Little Panda Fighter. Polaris the polar bear manages to hide his identity by putting on a leotard and a bandit mask while fighting the current boxing champion Teddy Thunders, and when his disguise shrinks instead of being exposed everyone thinks he's Pancada the panda, even though they look completely different.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In Ratatoing (see that film's page for more details).
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations: In Little Panda Fighter a bunch of people come up to Pancada and commend him on what they thought were his fighting skills and he thinks they're talking about his dancing audition, even though they were clearly not there watching. This is soon followed by another one between Pancada and Polaris, which is even more poorly constructed.
- Palette Swap: Many examples in The Little Cars.