Spark Plug Entertainment is a New York-based computer animation
company founded by Michael Schelp
in 2006. The American equivalent of Video Brinquedo
, it specializes in low-quality Direct-to-Video Mockbuster
films, with just as much hate directed toward it. Its first film was Bug Bites: An Ant's Life
, first released in 1998 and later re-released in 2006 as the company was founded.
Notable movies include:
Tropes in these movies include:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: The names of the penguins in Piper Penguin which all begin with P.
- An Aesop: Often delivered in an Anvilicious manner.
- Big Eater: Joey in Plan Bee.
- Bland-Name Product: Krill Cola (Coca-Cola) and PNN (CNN) in Piper Penguin.
- Captain Ersatz
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Pepperoni in Piper Penguin, who is also The Speechless.
- Covers Always Lie: The DVD front covers (at least the Italian ones) always have a line talking about some of the characters being special guest stars. Because you know, Sal Caterpillar is a very famous cartoon character and his appearance in ''An Ant's Life'' was very shocking for everyone.
- Cross-Dressing Voices
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: The Krill Cola krill sargent who somehow sounds like Daffy Duck.
- Dumb Muscle: Winthrop the walrus in Piper Penguin.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: For Piper Penguin.
- Everything's Worse With Bees: For Plan Bee.
- Filler / Padding: An Ant's Life is only 25 minutes long, so to fill time, four classic cartoons from MGM, Famous Studios, and Warner Bros.. were added to the DVD.
- Follow the Leader
- Gasshole: Once again, Winthrop in Piper Penguin, whose burping comes in handy later in the film.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Plan Bee plays it straight with Queen Akif, but averts it with Queen Beatrice.
- Gonk: So many of Spark Plug's characters are, but the best example is the lantern-jawed bee Pistol in Plan Bee.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Diesel in A Car's Life, who is always seen holding a cigarette with her antenna, and is always pointed out as being bad.
- Happily Adopted: Winthrop in Piper Penguin, who is the titular character's step-brother.
- Hey, It's That Voice! / What The Hell, Casting Agency?: Corinne Orr stars in most of these. Peter Fernandez also voices the evil snake Noiman Ja Rahr in Spider's Web and Piper's dad in Piper Penguin.
- In Name Only: These cartoons only loosely follow the plot of what they're trying to rip off.
- Jerk Jock: Punch in Piper Penguin.
- Karma Houdini: Why doesn't that bitchy teacher in Piper Penguin stop Punch the jock?
- Kent Brockman News: Piper Penguin has the PNN reporter Peraldo Penguin, who has the audacity to insult Piper as his flying machine fails the first time around.
- Large Ham: The teacher in Piper Penguin.
- Likable Villain: Many of the villains are like this to most Internet users.
- Mickey Mousing: Piper slamming his head against his locker while opening it up in Piper Penguin.
- No Export for You: Piper Penguin never saw a region 1 release until 2011, and thankfully so.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: The two geckos in An Ant's Life, as well as the snakes in Spider's Web.
- Sadist Teacher: Miss Prim in Piper Penguin.
- Shown Their Work: An Ant's Life has a lot of bug facts clumsily woven into the script.
- This Is a Drill: At one point, the bees in Plan Bee drill into the flowers to collect nectar, complete with the sound of a dentist's drill.
- Two Lines, No Waiting: An Ant's Life has this.
- Valley Girl: Buffy in Plan Bee.