Web Animation: The Nekci Menij Show
The Nekci Menij Show
, a YouTube
animated comedy series created by Ginger The Horse
(the entire first season is linked on his page), goes behind the scenes to show you what a good chunk of the world's most popular diva/idol singers do in their spare time.
The show's comedic style is rooted in how all the characters speak in various text-to-speech voices
and their ridiculously over-the-top antics. Every character shamelessly promotes all of their musical output as the greatest thing ever produced
, competes for the title of music business Alpha Bitch
, and abuses Kety Perr
. It could also be described as Genius Bonus
: Female Pop Edition - fifty percent of any given episode's humor revolves around obscure pop facts and minutae about Billboard chart performances, personal issues of famous pop singers, and single releases. The other fifty percent? Lots of catty remarks and attempted murders.
Has its own Tumblr page
(or, in the parlance of the show, Twattir
). And yes, Nekci is aware of this page.
The Nekci Menij Show provides examples of:
- AcCENT Upon the Wrong SylLABle: Medoner pronounces her name "Meh-doe-ner", whilst many other characters pronounce it "Meh-dun-er".
- Affably Evil: For someone that screws them over so often, everyone still hangs out with wicked-cultured Medoner.
- Affectionate Parody: Believe it or not, GingerTheHorse has stated that the show is this of pop music fans on The Internet, and how they can get a little too carried away when defending their favorite singers. He claims to be a fan of everybody depicted on the show, too.
- Alpha Bitch: Bayonse believes she's this.
Bayonse: Clap 4 da Quen B!
- Anti-Climax: Lol Kem's rap battle with Nekci ends with Nekci just shooting her before she even starts.
- Anti-Hero: Nekci is easily the most chaotic and unpredictable of the main characters, and yet she names the show.
- Auto-Tune: All of the girls' voices. Most notable is Ke@$h£r, who sounds exactly like a robot.
- Ballroom Blitz: Episode Five, Haus Perty, turns into this once Xtine insults Britain and Nekci eggs everyone into fighting each other.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kety Perr.
- Big Eater: Adole.
- Black Comedy
- Boastful Rap: Medoner's "I Don't Give A".
- British Accent: Even with Auto-Tune! Adole and Medoner have the most pronounced ones.
- Brutal Honesty: Everyone.
- Butt Monkey: Kety Perr can't get anyone to see her new film Pert of Me. It eventually makes her snap and try to first murder, then kidnap, Nekci. In terms of music sales, Xtine is easily the show's biggest Butt Monkey as well - she's doing poorly enough to offer her album Bionic, her latest film Burlesque, and a bucket of KFC Popcorn Chicken in a value pack for two dollars.
- Whenever Keri Hilson is mentioned, you can be sure someone will be insulting her or telling her to get them a coffee.
- Comically Missing the Point:
Xtine u shud thenk me. Wen i seng ferget abut teh prace teg i wus askin ppl not to judg ur ablum for costin 99p.
Xtine: Gled my mesterpize is stil mekin a culterul impect 2 yrs on.
- Completely Missing the Point: In Episode Ten, Kety threatens to kill Nekci if not everyone watches her film. Bayonse's response to that?
Bayonse: Free promo!
- Chekhov's Gun: Kety Perr, one of the first characters in the show, eventually attempts to murder Nekci and later holds her and the others hostage.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: One of Rhenna's many looks.
- The Ditz: Brinty Spreas
- Driven to Suicide: Kety Perr in the Christmas special.
- Faking the Dead: Turns out that Kety is actually alive and well in Episode 19, when it's revealed that Mariah was keeping her as a slave to do her bidding, namely stealing the only copy of Gags' new album Artpip.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Invoked with Ladey Gags, who sounds exactly like a man and looks... like a robot, probably in reference to the famous urban legend that Lady Gaga is a transvestite.
- Epic Fail: Medoner's latest album, MDNE, and its sales. It was certified 2x tissue paper - for selling ten copies!
- Medoner's understanding of modern technology isn't great either - she believes her rotary telephone is "Facebook".
- The Eponymous Show
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Kety changes her hair from pink to purple in "Rhenna Holidey", to reflect her darker turn in personality.
- Fake Brit: Xtine pointedly reminds Medoner and Merna during Episode Five that they aren't English.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Kety's plan to force everyone to see Pert of Me in 3D is treated as such by Adole, Lady Gags, and Xtine.
- Follow the Leader: After the success of The Necki Menij Show, many similar shows were created by fans, such as "Kety Perr: My Prims" and "I Am The Brinty Joan: The Show" (with the latter getting recognition by the original Necki Menij Show's creator)
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Xtine.
- Funny Background Event: Most of what happens during "Blow" in Episode Five.
- Gilligan Cut: In Episode 12; Lol Kem and Nekci are about to have a rap battle, when Nekci suddenly pulls out a gun and shoots her. The next shot after insisting that Lol Kem will be fine? The cast at Lol Kem's funeral.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners / Vitriolic Best Buds: Rhenna and Adole.
- I Ate WHAT?: Adole doesn't even realize she ate Kety Perr, and instead believes herself pregnant. She somehow still gives birth (rebirth?) to Kety during the Haus Perty.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The Christmas episode's ending.
- Oh, Crap: Adole and Ke@$h£r's reaction to Kety being hit by a bus while in a baby pram.
Adole and Ke@$h£r: Oh shit.
- Only Six Faces: Kety Perr, Nekci Menij, Bayonse, Medoner, and Azel Bank all have the same character design with different coloration. The face is derived from Dolan comics.
- The Pig Pen: Ke@$h£r. She has a slice of pizza and a toothbrush in her hair!
- Race Lift: For some reason, Rhenna is shown as being white here, while the other black characters aren't.
- Robot Me: Bayonse's plan for dominating the charts includes replacing all the other pop stars with robot clones who delay their albums, make terrible collaborations, and re-release their flops, so that Bayonse will be the only pop star of note.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Kety has pink hair, and is noticeably nicer than the other characters. Until episode 9,that is.
- Running Gag: Kety Perr's shameless promotion of Pert of Me, Medoner's shameless promotion of MDNE, Xtine's shameless promotion of Bionic, P£nk working all the minimum wage service jobs...
- Sadist Show: No one in the show is anything less than an egomaniac.
- Sassy Black Woman: Nekci, Bayonse and Rhenna.
- Shameless Self-Promotion: Most of the women.
- Shout-Out: So, so many to the music industry.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Bayonse takes it the farthest.
- Spinoff: Bayonse's Quens of Flop and Medoner's Behind the Scones.
- Split-Screen Phone Call: Utilized most notably in episode 3.
- Spotlight-Stealing Title: "Bayonse Presants Beyonse's Destins Child Sterin Bayonse nd Faturin Bayonse".
- Take That: The Series. None of the singers gets a free pass. Medoner, Xtine Agailure, and Kety Perr are thrown under the bus (literally in Katy's case) for their Shameless Self-Promotion; Jasy J is repeatedly insinuated to have broken her leg to boost album sales; Nekci Menij is turned into an insane agent of chaos/rapper-for-hire; and Bayonse's ego is implied to be through the roof. Even relatively unknown acts are taken to task; Merna and The Dermonds has this to say about her music:
- Nicole Scherzinger's stand-in's name is Nicel Shitsinger.
- Medoner holds an adoption agency loyalty card and repeatedly tries to steal black children.
- When Brinty is replaced by a robot with no personality and terrible career choices, Medoner comments that she's not much different from her human self.
- The Illuminati: Bayonse and Medoner are both members. They have BBQs, bingo nights, and turn other pop stars into robots so that Bayonse can be the new queen of pop.
- The Unintelligible: Arana Grondy when she sings. According to Rhenna, she sounds like Merier "forgot how to English."
- The Voiceless: Krely Roolind. Until Episode 17.
- Waxing Lyrical: The characters often drop lines from their songs into normal conversation.
- With Friends Like These...