, born (February 11, 1981) Kelendria Rowland
, is an R&B songstress, occasional actress, model, and TV personality. She started her career as one third of the girl group Destinys Child
, before embarking on her own solo career in 2002.
Rowland scored her first major hit with international smash single "Dilemma" alongside rapper Nelly. Since then, she has managed a string of hits and song features that have kept her recording career buzzing, and earned her a sizable fan base (especially amongst the international music crowd). A former celebrity judge for the UK X-Factor and current celebrity US X-Factor Judge, and occasional actress, Rowland has maintained a viable TV presence and solo music career. Throughout a career spanning 16 years, Rowland has sold over 25 million albums as a solo artist, in addition to over 60 millions albums with Destiny's Child.
Recently, she performed alongside former band mates Michelle Williams and Beyonce at the latter's 2013 Superbowl halftime show, and became a judge for the US version of the series X-Factor
. She also has made headlines for the domestic abuse she suffered from an unknown boyfriend, and her stunning honesty over her initial envy of former band mate Beyoncé
's successful solo career on the song "Dirty Laundry", taken from her Talk a Good Game
- Simply Deep (2002)
- Ms. Kelly (2007)
- Here I Am (2011)
- Talk a Good Game (2013)
- Breakup Breakout: Although not as famous as Beyonce, she is still fairly successful and much more so than her fellow Destiny's Child member Michelle Williams, not to mention former members Farrah Franklin, Latavia Robertson and Letoya Luckett. After all, she was the first member of the group to achieve solo recognition with her spot on Nelly's "Dilemma".
- Breakup Song: "Love", "Better Without You", "Flashback", "Down on Love", "Talk a Good Game"-A huge chunk of Rowland's discography is dedicated to this trope.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: During the "Survivor" era of Destiny's Child, and prominently during her solo era of "Simply Deep".
- Dream Team: Collaborates extremely well with Nelly, for singles such as "Dilemma" and "Gone". Most fans believe songs featuring her old bandmates make her ultimate dream team.
- Extremely justified with amazing songs like "You Changed" and "Nuclear".
- Hotter and Sexier: While no stranger to sexy outfits and videos during her girl band days, "Here I Am" and "Talk a Good Game" saw her pushing up her sexual image tenfold! It certainly helps to be named "Glamour" Magazine's sexiest woman , and to have an exercise franchise called "Sexy Abs"!
- Intercourse with You: "Motivation", with lines such as "And when we're done, I don’t wanna feel my legs."
- A lot of her songs are about sex. "Lay it On Me", "Work", "Kisses Down Low", "Freak", and "Ice".
- New Sound Album: Solo career wise; "Simply Deep" featured prominent Alternative R&B, "Ms. Kelly" featured a variety of sounds ranging from Go-Go inspired club music ("Like This"), Hip-Hop, dance-pop, and R&B balladry. "Here I Am" cranked up the electro-R&B and Hip-Hop!
- Self-Titled Album: Not played completely straight, "Ms.Kelly" not being her full stage name and all.
- She's Got Legs: Quite well-known for her legs, Tina Knowles (Mama Bear of Destiny's Child and Fashion Designer) explicitly stated that Rowland was often given shorts or mini skirts to show off her gorgeous legs.
- Silly Love Songs: Surprisingly not a big trope with Rowland, especially compared to her contemporaries, but she certainly has them: namely "Keep It Between Us", "This Is Love" (Ms.Kelly) and "This Is Love" (Talk a Good Game).
- Three Minutes of Writhing: The videos for "Lay It On Me", "Comeback", "Ice", and "Motivation".
- Title Track: Simply Deep and Talk a Good Game.
- Your Cheating Heart: In "Dilemma", it is mentioned that she thinks about Nelly even when she's with her boo.