Web Animation: Battlefield Friends
is an animated series by Hank & Jed chronicling the adventures of a group of four players and their misadventures
in the video game Battlefield 3
. The humor of the series primarily revolves around In Jokes
related to Battlefield 3
's multiplayer, from the difficulty of accurately controlling helicopters to Game Breaker
weapons such as the USAS 12 with frag rounds.
Find it here
, with new episodes weekly.
Battlefield Friends contains the following tropes:
- Angrish: From most of the characters at times (generally a result of the Noob's actions), but especially the Engineer.
- Audible Sharpness: Knives always make the traditional "metal on metal" sound when drawn.
- A-Team Firing: Any time the Noob tries to shoot anything. Comes to a head in the episode "Noob Fight".
- Badass Bandolier: Anyone using the Support class (on the US team) wears huge belts of ammo around their neck like a scarf, as the class does in Battlefield 3. The Badass part, however, only really applies to Colonel, since the other two who consistently use the class are Noob and Simon.
- Badass Boast: Colonel gets a few.
Colonel: I AM THE BATTLEFIELD!
Colonel: Ammo's for pussies.
- Bullying a Dragon: Noob seems to be under the impression that it's a good idea to make fun of a guy in an attack chopper because he isn't laying down enough "impressive fire".
- Calling Your Attacks: Admin, who calls out whatever power he's decided to abuse today.
- Car Fu: Happens to, and because of, the Noob, quite a bit.
- In Vehicle Spawn, he employs the infamous "Jihad Jeep" (a Jeep covered in C4 charges), to take out a tank.
- In They Ruined Battlefield, he gets hit by a jet after an ill-fated recreation of the Rendezook video.
- In Levelcap, he accidentally runs over Levelcap with an IFV.
- In Air Superiority, he Jet Rams, which is exactly what it sounds like.
- In Teamspeak, he, along with Engineer and Recon, gets a helicopter dropped on him after he taunts the pilot.
- The Ditz: The Noob, unsurprisingly.
- The Dreaded: Colonel, whose mere presence causes enemies who outnumber him eight to one to flee for their lives.
- Even the Noob Has Standards: Not even the Noob likes Call of Duty.
- Flanderization: The Noob has rapidly gone from being merely inexperienced at the game to astoundingly stupid and disconnected with reality. Not that this hasn't gone unnoticed...
Engineer: I feel like he's actually getting worse!
- Four-Star Badass: Colonel
- Four-Temperament Ensemble
- Sanguine: Medic
- Choleric: Engineer
- Phlegmatic: The Noob
- Leukine: Recon
- The Gadfly: The title character from PC Elitist, who gets a kick out of riling up his teammates by insulting the platform they're playing on.
- Game-Breaking Bug: Frequently a subject of derision, especially prevalent in Season 4 with the switch to Battlefield 4 and its notoriously bug-riddled multiplayer. In fact, this is the entire premise of the premier episode "Brokenfield".
- A God Am I: The Engineer frequently lapses into this, such as when he discovers the power of the USAS 12 with frag rounds or the Stinger lock-on missile.
- Guttural Growler: Colonel, who sounds for all the world like Snake Plissken.
- Hell Is That Noise: The chaotic mess of a Teamspeak voice chat. It's so bad, Medic's head detonates from listening in for a few seconds.
- Hypocritical Humor: Noob routinely insults other players by calling them noobs.
- In-Joke: Much of the humor simply doesn't make sense unless you've played Battlefield 3.
- That said, you'll probably pick up on some of the game mechanics simply by watching the show alone, even if you never played Battlefield 3 even once.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Level Cap appears as himself at one point.
- He returns in both "Spawn Kill" and "YouTube Gamer", along with a whole host of other Big Name Fans.
- Jerk Ass: Engineer can be quite the douche if he's got his hands on a power weapon.
- Just a Stupid Accent: Anyone on the Russian team simply adopts a fairly ludicrous Fake Russian accent, though Noob's stands out as particularly awful.
- Mistaken for Racist: Noob, in Recon C4, says he'd "..expect [stealing my stuff] from Medic, but from you?!" Medic, who is black, reacts indignantly, and the following conversation ensues:
Medic: ...the fuck is that supposed to mean?!
Noob: You're always stealing my kills with your overpowered rifles!
Medic: ...oh, oh I though you were... never mind.
- Mood Whiplash: Played for laughs in Close Quaters, as the focus rapidly flips between nonstop gunfire and screaming, and the Noob serenely taking in the beauty of the environment.
- More Dakka: The Noob's class, Support, carries an LMG, so this frequently happens, generally combined with A-Team Firing.
- Nice Hat: As of Season 4, and thus, the transition to Battlefield 4, Recon now sports a Boonie hat.
Engineer: I like your hat.
- No Name Given: The other noob's name is Simon. Other than that, no characters have ever been given a real name, and are usually referred to by their class.
- No Indoor Voice: Angry Guy literally screams every sentence that come out of his mouth.
- Noob: The Noob.
- Simon as well, in a far less ludicrously incompetent way.
- Oh Crap: Upon deploying his TUGS, Recon panics as his map lights up with hostile movement converging on him and Noob. Promtly turns into an Oh Crap for the enemies, as it brings down the wrath of Colonel on them.
- Only Sane Man: Assault and, usually, Recon.
- Race Lift: The Assault was white in the first episode and is black at the end of episode 2. This is yet another In-Joke: in Battlefield 3's beta, the US Assault model was white, but was changed to black in the retail release.
- Racist Grandma: Old Veteran claims that Assault's Race Lift was done to ruin Battlefield, much to Assault and Engineers disgust.
- Read the Freaking Manual: The Noob clearly never has.
- Realistic Diction Is Unrealistic: Averted. Characters frequently stutter and interrupt each other realistically.
- Ruined Forever: Embodied by the Old Veteran in "They Ruined Battlefield".
Old Veteran: Just about every patch is ruined in my book, I tell you that.
- Rule of Funny: Most of the series doesn't make any sense purely from a gameplay standpoint. If the characters are actually players using voice chat, why would they scream when they get shot? How does the Colonel manage to knife the characters while they're in a helicopter? Why would they stop playing the game just to stand around and talk? Rule of Funny.
- Rummage Fail: While attempting to recreate the famous Rendezook video, the Noob pulls an EOD robot instead of his launcher.
- In an effort to drop an ammo crate, the Noob accidentally drops a grenade which kills him and Angry Guy.
- Running Gag: The Noob's (poor) attempts at flying helicopters.
- The Noob's obsession with pulling off a Rendezook.
- The Noob and Simon putting C4 on Jeeps.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Admin, who gleefully abuses the powers afforded him by owning his own server.
Admin: Last time I checked my credit card, I can do whatever the hell I want!
- Engineer insults a second noob by calling him "Simon Belmont" at one point, after Simon refers to Point D as "Dracula" instead of "Delta".
- The Noob's EOD bot from They Ruined Battlefield looks and sounds like WALL•E, courtesy of a Fan Nickname for said bots.
- While driving his "jihad jeep", Noob hums the Trololol song.
- Shouting Shooter: Constantly. Pretty much any time someone shoots at full auto for an extended length of time, they'll do this.
- Brought Up to Eleven in Close Quarters, where fully half the episode is Assault, Recon, Engineer and Angry Guy shooting and screaming nonstop.
- The Smart Guy: Recon at times. He's the best pilot of the group, and is generally seen laying down the strategies for the squad.
- Southern-Fried Private: The Noob.
- Spanner in the Works: The Noob, frequently to his own teammates, but he does get a couple moments of glory.
- Once decided to camp as Recon with a Support, they were discovered by the enemy team who proceeded to plant C4/Claymores all over them and Tbag them. Noob accidentally got his Support to plant some C4 and detonate it. They killed themselves and wiped out half the enemy team.
- Only character to ever manage killing The Colonel. Decided to plant C4 in his teammate's chopper after they pissed him off and bailed. After he left the Colonel showed up, killed everyone, and stole the chop. Cue the Noob detonating his C4...
- Take That: At the end of PC Elitist...
Medic: I mean, it's not like we're playing Call of Duty or some shit.
- The 'Youtube Gamer' episode from Season 4 is one towards Youtubers uploading/monetizing gameplay videos, and in this case, it's a clear reference to PewDiePie, or 'Pumpkin-Pie' as the Noob and Simon mistakenly refer to him as, who gets millions of views view per video and making lots of money from monetizating ads.
Engineer: Is there seriously a guy out there with like 20 million subscribers from just playing video games?
Medic: There is...
Engineer: That's insane! Why are there that many people out there watching video games?!
Medic: I don't know...
Engineer: Like, what about people that take like weeks to create something awesome like a piece of content?!
- The Unfettered: The Colonel, who tells the rest of the players that to be as good as he is, they need to stop working, or having sex, or going to the bathroom, describing these things as 'Time not spent playing battlefield.'
- Your Head Asplode: Medic, when forced to go on Teamspeak for a few seconds.