Web Animation: Battlefield Friends
is an animated series by Hank And Jed
chronicling the adventures of a group of four players and their misadventures
in the video game Battlefield 3
. The humor of the series primarily revolves around In Jokes
related to Battlefield 3
's multiplayer, from the difficulty of accurately controlling helicopters to Game Breaker
weapons such as the USAS 12 with frag rounds.
Eventually they move onto Battlefield 4
, where the group tackles the game's notoriously buggy beginnings, to other gameplay related issues like frequently stuck vehicles, and even try out some Easter Eggs.
Find it here
, with new episodes weekly.
Battlefield Friends contains the following tropes:
- Angrish: From most of the characters at times (generally a result of the Noob's actions), but especially the Engineer.
- Ascended Fanboy: The entire crew of BFFs actually get lines and background speaking roles in Battlefield 4's promotional material as well as a campaign Easter Egg. As seen here: 
- Audible Sharpness: Knives always make the traditional "metal on metal" sound when drawn.
- A-Team Firing: Any time the Noob tries to shoot anything. Comes to a head in the episode "Noob Fight".
- Badass Bandolier: Anyone using the Support class (on the US team) wears huge belts of ammo around their neck like a scarf, as the class does in Battlefield 3. The Badass part, however, only really applies to Colonel, since the other two who consistently use the class are Noob and Simon.
- Badass Boast: Colonel gets a few.
- From "Little Bird Battle":
Colonel: I AM THE BATTLEFIELD!
Colonel: Ammo's for nancies. *pulls out knife*
- Basement-Dweller: The Colonel insists that being one of these is the only way to be as good as he is at Battlefield.
- Bullying a Dragon: Noob seems to be under the impression that it's a good idea to make fun of a guy in an attack chopper because he isn't laying down enough "impressive fire".
- Calling Your Attacks: Admin, who calls out whatever power he's decided to abuse today.
- Car Fu: Happens to, and because of, the Noob, quite a bit.
- In "Vehicle Spawn", he employs the infamous "Jihad Jeep" (a Jeep covered in C4 charges), to take out a tank.
- In "They Ruined Battlefield", he gets hit by a jet after an ill-fated recreation of the Rendezook video.
- In "Levelcap", he accidentally runs over Levelcap with an Growler ITV.
- In "Air Superiority", he Jet Rams, which is exactly what it sounds like.
- In "Teamspeak", he, along with Engineer and Recon, gets a helicopter dropped on him after he taunts the pilot.
- Colonel Badass: Who else?
- The Ditz: The Noob, unsurprisingly.
- The Dreaded: Colonel, whose mere presence causes enemies who outnumber him eight to one to flee for their lives.
- Dynamic Entry: The Colonel has a habit of appearing either by paracute (usually after knifing an aerial vehicle), or just landing onto things out of the blue.
- Even the Noob Has Standards: Not even the Noob likes Call of Duty.
- Flanderization: The Noob has rapidly gone from being merely inexperienced at the game to astoundingly stupid and disconnected with reality. Not that this hasn't gone unnoticed...
Engineer: I feel like he's actually getting worse!
- Four-Star Badass: Colonel
- Four-Temperament Ensemble
- Sanguine: Medic
- Choleric: Engineer
- Phlegmatic: The Noob
- Leukine: Recon
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: A recurring character, Bunny-Sniper (a Recon with bunny ears, referencing the gaming term 'bunny-hopping'), can be seen skipping around the background in most of the episodes.
- The Gadfly: The title character from "PC Elitist", who gets a kick out of riling up his teammates by insulting the platform they're playing on.
- Game-Breaking Bug: Frequently a subject of derision, especially prevalent in Season 4 with the switch to Battlefield 4 and its notoriously bug-riddled multiplayer. In fact, this is the entire premise of the premier episode "Brokenfield".
- A God Am I: The Engineer frequently lapses into this, such as when he discovers the power of the USAS 12 with frag rounds or the Stinger lock-on missile.
- Guttural Growler: Colonel, who sounds for all the world like Snake Plissken.
- Hell Is That Noise: The chaotic mess of a Teamspeak voice chat. It's so bad, Medic's head detonates from listening in for a few seconds.
- Hypocritical Humor: Noob routinely insults other players by calling them noobs.
- In-Joke: Much of the humor simply doesn't make sense unless you've played Battlefield 3 and subsequently, Battlefield 4.
- That said, you'll probably pick up on some of the game mechanics simply by watching the show alone, even if you never played Battlefield even once.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Level Cap appears as himself at one point.
- He returns in both "Spawn Kill" and "YouTube Gamer", along with a whole host of other Big Name Fans.
- Jar Potty: The Colonel and the Closet Colonel both use a "shitbucket," which is Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Jerk Ass: Engineer can be quite the douche if he's got his hands on a power weapon.
- Just a Stupid Accent: Anyone on the Russian team simply adopts a fairly ludicrous Fake Russian accent, though Noob's stands out as particularly awful.
- Knife Nut: The Colonel, hands down. He practically kills EVERYTHING with it.
Colonel: I've just unlocked the bipod for my knife.
- And even later in the series:
Colonel: I've just unlocked the bipod for my bipod.
- Mistaken for Racist: Noob, in "Recon C4", says he'd "..expect [stealing my stuff] from Medic, but from you?!" Medic, who is black, reacts indignantly, and the following conversation ensues:
Medic: ...the fuck is that supposed to mean?!
Noob: You're always stealing my kills with your overpowered rifles!
Medic: ...oh, oh I though you were... never mind.
- Mood Whiplash: Played for laughs in Close Quarters, as the focus rapidly flips between nonstop gunfire and screaming, and the Noob serenely taking in the beauty of the environment.
- More Dakka: The Noob's class, Support, carries an LMG, so this frequently happens, generally combined with A-Team Firing.
- Nice Hat: As of Season 4, and thus, the transition to Battlefield 4, Recon now sports a Boonie hat.
Engineer: I like your hat.
- No Name Given: The other noob's name is Simon. Other than that, no characters have ever been given a real name, and are usually referred to by their class.
- No Indoor Voice: Ammo Guy literally screams every sentence that come out of his mouth.
- Noob: The Noob.
- Simon as well, in a far less ludicrously incompetent way.
- Oh, Crap: Many instances, especially when it involves being on the wrong side of the Colonel's wrath.
- In "TUGS", upon deploying the titular equipment, Recon panics as his map lights up with hostile movement converging on him and Noob. Promptly turns into an Oh, Crap for the enemies, as it brings down the wrath of Colonel on them.
- In "Mobile AA", when the Noob tries to fend off a single C4-wielding enemy approaching his Anti-Air tank, but is unable to hit the attacker due to the inaccurate fire of the AA guns on a small target at close range.
- In "Commander Online", Noob as the team's commander has a massive one, complete with hysterics as the system is hit with a proxy attack, disabling his command ability (albeit temporarily). The enemy Commander, General Zhao gets one in return when the Colonel suddenly breaks into the physically-out-of-play commander seat and stabs the General in the head.
- Only Sane Man: Assault and, usually, Recon.
- Race Lift: The Assault was white in the first episode and is black at the end of episode 2. This is yet another In-Joke: in Battlefield 3's beta, the US Assault model was white, but was changed to black in the retail release.
- Racist Grandma: Old Codger claims that Assault's Race Lift was done to ruin Battlefield, much to Assault and Engineers disgust.
- Read the Freaking Manual: The Noob clearly never has.
- Realistic Diction Is Unrealistic: Averted. Characters frequently stutter and interrupt each other realistically.
- Reality Warper: The Colonel is this in-game, apparently his shit-bucket lifestyle granting him the power to defy conventional gameplay mechanics.
- The 'Reason You Don't Unlock Jeep Stuff' Speech: An extremely frustrated Recon give a big one in "Recon C4", which afterwards he apologizes for the uncalled-for remark.
Noob: I had one, thing, that I loved to use, and it was called 'jeep stuff'..... and NOW YOU TOOK IT FROM ME!!
Recon: Look, you can unlock it. It's actually the last thing you need to unlock.
Noob: The last thing?
Noob: Nobody ever unlocks the last thing!
Recon: Of course people unlock the last thing!
Noob: No! Its a pipe dream!
Recon: You don't unlock the last thing BECAUSE YOU SUCK!
Recon: ... I'm sorry...
- Ruined Forever: Embodied by the Old Codger in "They Ruined Battlefield".
Old Codger: Just about every patch is ruined in my book, I tell you that.
- Rule of Funny: Most of the series doesn't make any sense purely from a gameplay standpoint. If the characters are actually players using voice chat, why would they scream when they get shot? How does the Colonel manage to knife the characters while they're in a helicopter? Why would they stop playing the game just to stand around and talk? Rule of Funny.
- Rummage Fail: While attempting to recreate the famous Rendezook video, the Noob pulls an EOD robot instead of his launcher.
- In an effort to drop an ammo crate, the Noob accidentally drops a grenade which kills him and Ammo Guy.
- Running Gag: The Noob's (poor) attempts at flying helicopters.
- The Noob's obsession with pulling off a Rendezook.
- The Noob and Simon putting C4 on Jeeps.
- The Colonel appearing out of the blue and killing anything by stabbing.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Admin, who gleefully abuses the powers afforded him by owning his own server.
Admin: Last time I checked my credit card, I can do whatever the hell I want!
- Engineer insults a second noob by calling him "Simon Belmont" at one point, after Simon refers to Point D as "Dracula" instead of "Delta".
- The Noob's EOD bot from "They Ruined Battlefield" looks and sounds like WALL•E, courtesy of a Fan Nickname for said bots.
- While driving his "jihad jeep", Noob hums the Trololol song.
- Shouting Shooter: Constantly. Pretty much any time someone shoots at full auto for an extended length of time, they'll do this.
- Brought Up to Eleven in "Close Quarters", where fully half the episode is Assault, Recon, Engineer and Ammo Guy shooting and screaming nonstop.
- The Smart Guy: Recon at times. He's the best pilot of the group, and is generally seen laying down the strategies for the squad.
- Southern-Fried Private: The Noob.
- Spanner in the Works: The Noob, frequently to his own teammates, but he does get a couple moments of glory.
- Once decided to camp as Recon with a Support, they were discovered by the enemy team who proceeded to plant C4/Claymores all over them and Tbag them. Noob accidentally got his Support to plant some C4 and detonate it. They killed themselves and wiped out half the enemy team.
- Only character to ever manage killing The Colonel. Decided to plant C4 in his teammate's chopper after they pissed him off and bailed. After he left the Colonel showed up, killed everyone, and stole the chop. Cue the Noob detonating his C4...
- Take That: At the end of "PC Elitist"...
Medic: I mean, it's not like we're playing Call of Duty or some shit.
- The 'Youtube Gamer' episode from Season 4 is one towards Youtubers uploading/monetizing gameplay videos, and in this case, it's a clear reference to PewDiePie, or 'Pumpkin-Pie' as the Noob and Simon mistakenly refer to him as, who gets millions of views view per video and making lots of money from monetizing ads.
Engineer: Is there seriously a guy out there with like 20 million subscribers from just playing video games?
Medic: There is...
Engineer: That's insane! Why are there that many people out there watching video games?!
Medic: I don't know...
Engineer: Like, what about people that take like weeks to create something awesome like a piece of content?!
- The Unfettered: The Colonel, who tells the rest of the players that to be as good as he is, they need to stop working, or having sex, or going to the bathroom, describing these things as 'Time not spent playing Battlefield.'
- Your Head Asplode: Medic, when forced to go on Teamspeak for a few seconds.