Visual Novel: Walkure Romanze
Horses dashing gallantly... Knights challenging their own limits... Magnificent, heroic battles highlight the horseback lance sport of jousting. One of the many people fascinated by this proud sport, Mizuno Takahiro, acts as a begleiter (an assistant) to jousting knights as he lives his rather tedious life at Winford Academy. This is the story of Takahiro and these female knights in their passionate, noble battles.
An anime of the game aired during the Fall 2013 Anime
season. Crunchyroll is currently streaming the anime, and can be viewed here
worldwide except in Asia.
Tropes in the show include:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: After Mio is issued a duel challenge by Bertille, she tries to protest that she isn't even training to be a knight. However, the student council says that a knight's honor is on the line anytime they do something like this, and allows this duel on the grounds of it being a training session. The only alternative is to quit the school, but Mio refuses that option, since it wouldn't allow her to be close to Takahiro, so she reluctantly agrees to the duel...
- A-Cup Angst: Lisa has some slight insecurities about her chest size.
- Animals Hate Her: Played with. Fiona does not like the cat that sticks around Lisa.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Takahiro receives two of them from Reina.
- Balanced Harem: In the anime, none of the girls have a significant lead over the others towards Takahiro.
- Bleached Underpants: Similiar to its predecessor, the anime doesn't include any explicit scenes shown in the game. That said, the anime team use every opportunity to insert Fanservice scenes as much as possible.
- Broken Bird: Two of the girls have a troubled past:
- Lisa was a The Ojou until her mother died, leaving her largely alone, and her relatives more interested in splitting up the fortune than take care of her. She uses jousting as a means to express herself and become less reliant on others.
- Noel feels guilty because of her younger sister becoming a parapalegic due to a horse riding accident.
- Career-Ending Injury: Takahiro appears to have suffered a leg injury preventing him from jousting. However, due to his skills, he is still very useful as a Begleiter, and several of the girls want him to be theirs, and possibly more...
- Cliff Hanger: Episode 11 ends on one, during the semi-finals match between Noel and Celia. Both girls are tied and the scene ends before we find out who won.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A few of the girls display this from time to time. Used most by Fiona towards Lisa.
- Cute Little Fang: Noel has one.
- Dangerously-Short Skirt: Standard female attire at the school. Sakura the horse makes it a point to lift them up or tear them off whenever given the opportunity.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Bertille towards Mio after the latter defeats her.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Lisa, who is cold towards several of the others but gradually warms up to them after she spends more time with them.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The anime has several instances of this, usually involving Mio doing rather suggestive sounding things while training with Takahiro on how to joust.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Takahiro is often on the receiving end of this from the girls.
- Ear Cleaning: Noel does this in episode 9 during the beauty contest.
- Fanservice: The anime is chock full of this, such as the beauty contest in episode 9, and during episode 7 when Takahiro finds a naked Celia and Akane in a windmill after the two girls lose their clothing in a windmill during a rainstorm.
- Heroic Second Wind: Noel receives one during episode 11, when her father makes it to her semi-final match, and instead of harboring hatred for jousting due to Mireille's injury, he cheers her on. While she admits it was embarrassing, it gives her some renewed confidence.
- Hypocritical Humor: During a training session, the girls thank Bertille's friends, which causes Bertille to start talking and taking in said compliments. Her two friends protest, saying she shouldn't be answering for them, and Bertille says that they're essentially an extension of her, so it's natural that she should answer. Later, they thank Bertille, and her friends immediately answer, causing Bertille to protest. The two friends then use the same explanation she used earlier on her.
- Ill Girl: Mireille, Noel's little sister, who suffered a horse riding accident which left her crippled from the waist down. However, Mireille refuses to let Noel take the blame and encourages her sister to continue to take up jousting.
- Important Haircut: Mio has one before her duel with Bertille.
- Instant Expert: While Mio does have to get trained to joust, she picks it up surprisingly fast despite not having done any of it before.
- Jumped at the Call: While Mio only did it because she was forced to at first, she eventually comes to love jousting and starts taking part in it.
- Lonely Together: Lisa and Fiona, both who came from Loners Are Freaks pasts and for the most part were unable to make friends with anyone else.
- My Greatest Failure: Takahiro is haunted by his failure from his last jousting match where he fell off his horse and earned a look of disappointment from Celia's brother. He claims he's reluctant to become any of the girl's begleiter because he feels he wouldn't be able to live up to the high standards he set for himself to serve them.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Bertille does one after running into Mio for the first time.
- Not What It Looks Like: Takahiro is often caught up in these situations.
- Panty Shot: Several are seen thanks to low camera angles and Dangerously-Short Skirt.
- Oblivious to Love: Takahiro seems largely ignorant of the girl's affections towards him.
- School Girl Lesbians: Akane towards Celia, to the point that she swoons and enters her own little world anytime the former is nearby or someone merely mentions her name.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Takahiro often end up having to explain to the other girls that he's not dating anyone.
- Spiritual Successor: To Princess Lover
- Student Council President: Celia.
- Sustained Misunderstanding: In episode 9, Bertille fails to pay attention to what her two underlings tell her, and later misinterprets it as "whoever wins the beauty contest is the one Takahiro will become begleiter for". Naturally this causes every single one of the main girls to enter the contest as well, only to have him clear it up after they all lose.
- Throwing Down the Gauntlet: Bertille does this to Mio after the latter tries to run away from Sakura, and causes the former to also run when the horse chases after both of them due to Mio running in her direction.
- Tournament Arc: The school holds a jousting tournament starting around episode 10.
- Troll: Surprisingly enough, Sakura, Takahiro's horse. In one instance, she steps on a hose he was using, then lets off of it when he tries to figure out why it stopped letting out water, only to then have it splash onto Celia. She neighs shortly afterwards, as if laughing at him.
- Unwanted Harem: Although most of them don't actively chase after him, virtually all of the girls want Takahiro. In the anime, even when they try to corner him and force him to choose, he manages to weasel his way out of it, largely due to having to assist a pregnant horse give birth.
- Worthy Opponent: Lisa and Akane towards each other, after both are unable to gain the upper hand against the other during their jousting duels.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Noel, as seen in the picture above.