Fox, Falco, Peppy, Slippy, Miyu and Fay.Star Fox 2
was the 1995 unreleased Super NES
sequel to the original Star Fox
Well, not officially
released. It was leaked online, then Fan Translated
into English. The game was actually fairly complete, lacking only some polishing touches for release, but was otherwise quite playable — a small Game Mod
fixed even this up, and the ROM is fully playable in emulators.
But the unreleased game did not go to complete commercial waste — two-thirds of its code was recycled for Star Fox 64
, and many of 2
's gameplay mechanics were reused for Star Fox Command
. But whereas reaction to Command
was very mixed
, the leaked Star Fox 2
ROM was well-received by gamers.
continues the 1993 game
, but was the last officially-developed work to do so. In 1997, Star Fox 64 rebooted
the game's universe from scratch.
Star Fox 2
provides examples of:
- Cool Shades: General Pepper again, naturally.
- Do a Barrel Roll: It wouldn't be Star Fox without the ability to roll to deflect enemy attacks.
- Downer Ending: Surprisingly averted unlike the first game. Even if you lost a pilot and continued with the partner ship you selected. The game's ending cutscene would still show the Arwing you lost.
- Fragile Speedster: Fay and Miyu's Arwings are the fastest, come stock with twin blasters and charge the fastest but they have the least shields, this is made up for by their default special weapon being an Invincibility Powerup.
- Heal Thyself: A certain special weapon, one that comes stock on Peppy and Slippy's Arwings, summons a couple of drones that recharge your ship's shields to full every use.
- Mighty Glacier: Peppy and Slippy's Arwings are the toughest and their default special weapon is the ability to recharge their shields on command but they are the slowest and take the longest to charge.
- Non-Standard Game Over: There was a normal game over of losing both of the pilots you selected at the beginning of the game, the non-standard one was when you let Corneria take too much damage and fall.
- Protection Mission: Part of the game involves protecting Corneria from IPBMs, flotillas of fighters and battleships.
- Smart Bomb: A special weapon that you could find, it comes stock on Fox and Falco's Arwings but they have to be found with the others.
- Spin to Deflect Stuff: Do a Barrel Roll of course!
- The Power of Rock: Macbeth's music.
- The Sixth Ranger: Miyu and Fay. Fara (or "Lady") was planned to be in this game and appeared in some earlier alpha versions, but was dropped from the final release.
- Transforming Mecha: Your ship can rotate its wings down and use them as legs when you're on the ground. In Star Fox 64, the transformation aspect was removed, and the walking mech became a separate tank-like vehicle, the Landmaster.
- In fact, the Arwing even had underwater capabilities (a capability that wasn't re-done until Command) when in mecha form if you had to attack a missile base on Fortuna, this made your ship an Arwing, Landmaster and Blue Marine all at the same time.
- The Psycho Rangers: The Star Wolf Team. This would have been the first appearance of them.
- Variable Mix: All over the place, the music would change if you were inside or outside a missile base/battleship, the map screen would change to a more hurried tone if Corneria was taking excessive amounts of damage, etc.
- Wave Motion Gun: The battleships carry these, let them get too close to Corneria and they fire off a beam that does tremendous damage to the planet.