Video Game: Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
- "Are you ready, True Believers? Capcom and Marvel have joined forces once again to bring you..."
"IT'S MARVEL SUPER HEROES VS. STREET FIGHTER!"— Opening narration
The game shows examples of:
- All Just a Dream: Ken's ending. Ryu wakes him up before their training, and Ken notes a strange dream he had fighting alongside superheroes. Helps explain why he wasn't killed as soon as a Marvel hero hit him with any of their superpowers.
- Announcer Chatter: "WELCOME TO THE ADVENTURE!!!"
- Attract Mode
- Badass Boast:Cyber-Akuma: "There is no greater power than me..."
- Big Bad: Apocalypse.
- Blood Knight: Akuma. It gets worse with his Cyber self:"Kill... Destroy... That's all I know..."
- Breaking the Fourth Wall:Norimaro: "I've only got a quarter! ...Sorry!"
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Omega Red's ending has him killing Ryu off-screen, and Ken is kneeling next to his corpse.Ken: "How many lives have you ended?"(cue Ken's off-screen death)
- Calling Your Attacks: You'd expect this with the Fighting Game characters, naturally. But it even extends to the Marvel Superheroes, among others.
- The Cameo: Many characters from both universes make appearances in the endings and stages.
- Combat Tentacles: The only plausible explanation as to how Shuma-Gorath made the cut instead of Doctor Strange.
- Combination Attack: Double Hypers.
- Notably, Ryu and Ken have a unique attack where Ken joins Ryu in performing a Shinkuu Hadouken. Zangief has two: if he's the point man, his teammate joins him in performing a Double Final Atomic Buster while in other cases he performs an enhanced Double Lariat.
- Death from Above:
- Blackheart/Mephisto's Armageddon summons a meteor storm to the battlefield.
- The Hulk jumps into space, and essentially pulls a passing meteor from space to drop it on his opponent.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Almost literally, with Shuma-Gorath.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Dan's pre-fight against Apocalypse:Dan: "I will put the big hurt on you!"Apocalypse: "Who are you, posturing idiot?!"
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Zangief.
- Fire-Breathing Diner: Mecha Zangief has a move where he spews blue fire.
- For Great Justice: Cap's quips in his winquotes.
- Genius Bruiser: The Hulk, where he's in the guise of the Merged Hulk/Professor persona. (The Green Scar had yet to be created at the time.)
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Averted. Norimaro was supposed to have a kancho throw in the Japanese port of the game, but when Marvel found out about it, it was promptly removed. More details here.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: And then suddenly, Cyber Akuma!
- A God Am I:
"I shall rule all in this pathetic world!"
- M. Bison. His ending has him using the same technology used in Cyber-Akuma to make Cyber-Charlie, and Bison orders him to destroy everything at will. Also, one of his winquotes:
"I am the eye of the storm to come!"
- Shuma-Gorath. His ending has him starting to multiply, taking the universe with him. There's also this winquote:
"I alone prevail... You cannot stop me!""I am eternal. None can withstand me.""I am eternal. You did not stand a chance, fool!""I create history your grandchildren will read!""I was the first. And I alone will be the last!"
- In tone with his character, Apocalypse:
"I shall rule the universe with my power!"
- One of Blackheart's winquotes:
- Hulk Speak: Guess who?(against Apocalypse) "Hulk hates Apocalypse! HULK SMASH!"
"Hulk Smash! Smash! Smash! Only kidding..."
- Parodied in one of his own winquotes:
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Mecha:
- Mecha Zangief, a cybernetic version of Zangief. While not a proper mecha, this version of Zangief couldn't flinch and took reduced damage from pretty much any attack. He could also use a fiery breath attack as Mech-Zangief, the Siberian Breath, similar to Dhalsim's Yoga Blast. The downside is his inability to block in this form.
- Cyber Akuma (Mecha Gouki in Japan), a roboticized version created by Apocalypse, as the game's final boss. He's a more powerful and faster Akuma that possess the greatest attack and defense of any character in the game, and comes complete with mechanical wings and rocket punches. He can fire two Zankuu Hadoukens while midair, much like Shin Akuma, and can also perform an aerial
Shun Goku SatsuShining Gou Shock, something that wouldn't be seen again in Street Fighter-related media until the introduction of Oni in 2012's Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.
- I Shall Taunt You: Dan, as always:"Can you withstand the power of my Super Taunt?"
- Joke Character: Dan (natch) and Norimaro.
- Large Ham: The announcer.HYPER COMBO FINIIIIIIISH!!
- Leitmotif: A notable aversion. Like Street Fighter III, which was released previously that year, none of the Street Fighters retained their iconic themes from II and Alpha, instead being given new music for this game. On the Marvel side, only Spidey, Cap, Omega Red, Shuma, and Blackheart would keep their themes from previous outings (though Shuma received a remix of his Marvel Super Heroes theme as opposed to a simple re-arrangement). This was mostly amended in the following game and completely reversed by the time of Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
- Lethal Joke Character: Dan gets some of the biggest buffs in this game. These humilliating winquotes sum it all:"Hah, you're weak! Just like me!""It's more fun to mock you than defeat you!"
- Kamehame Hadoken: The second part of the trope's name comes from the version of the Shinkuu Hadouken, which is the best known of many, MANY, MANY instances.
- Kick Chick: Chun-Li.
- Mad Libs Dialogue:
- Beat the game to get dialogue like this before the character endings: "We make a great team (insert name here)", "We shall meet again (insert name here)."
- It also has another form of it present via the Team Hyper finishes: winning a match with one combines their names together which is then displayed in a huge font. The name is tweaked depending on who was the point character at the time. For example, performing a Team Hyper with Spider-Man and Ryu (in that order) is called the "Crawler Hadouken," whereas Ryu and Spider-Man's super is the "Shinkuu Assault." Works with most of them, although some of the time the end result is somewhere in the lines of "Shinkuu Miracle Treasure" or "Knee Press Star." Reaches its most ridiculous with Captain America and U.S. Agent or Blackheart and Mephisto as a team, whose Team Hyper names combine into "Star Star" and "Armageddon Armageddon" respectively.
- Subverted with the pre-fight quotes against Apocalypse, as every character has an unique one against him.
- The Man Behind the Man: Apocalypse, for Cyber-Akuma.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Cyber-Akuma, a cyborg version of an evil Blood Knight who is also a Badass, and a martial artist, how does that not count? Oh, and he has a freaking Arm Cannon as well as wings.
- Original Generation: Norimaro. To a much lesser extent, Cyber-Akuma could count as well, being a variant created only for their sole appearance.
- Paint It Black: Shadow, a roboticized version of Charlie.
- Palette Swap: Mephisto, U.S. Agent, and any other secret character not called Apocalypse or Cyber-Akuma. They all have different properties compared to their regular versions:
- Armored Spider-Man trades speed for super armor.
- Mephisto has a few winquotes exclusive to him while adding fire effects to some of his moves.
- U.S. Agent has different winquotes but has similar gameplay to Captain America.
- Sunburned/Dark Sakura note fires the Shinkuu Hadouken forward and obtains some of Akuma's properties, including the Shun Goku Satsu.
- Mecha Zangief CANNOT be knocked down, but has the worst mobility in the game.
- Shadow is unique in that he is a palette swap of Charlie, who was not retained from his appearance in the first game.
- Panty Shot: Sakura, thanks to the magic of recycled Alpha sprites.
- Powered Armor: Apocalypse and Mecha-Zangief. Spider-Man's armored version is a lighter version.
- Rocket Punch: Cyber-Akuma.
- Satan: Mephisto.
- Shotoclone: Aside from the 5 carryovers from Street Fighter (Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Dan, Sakura), Spider-Man, Captain America, and Cyclops qualify for this.
- Shout-Out: Check the page.
- SNK Boss: Cyber-Akuma, a Shin Akuma variant brought about by Apocalypse either cloning or mechanizing Akuma.
- Stripperific: On the men's side, Hulk, Zangief, and Dhalsim.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Sunburned Sakura, a What If? version of Sakura depicting what she'd be like if she chose to follow Akuma instead of Ryu.
- Surprisingly Good English: All Marvel characters are voiced by native English speakers.
- Tag Team
- Take That:"I'm not a clone! I'm the one and only!"
"No one can compare to me. Not even a mayor!"
- And this winquote from Zangief:
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill:"HYPER COMBO FINISH!"
- Unexpected Character: Shuma-Gorath once again. Omega Red as well, as he hadn't been featured since X-Men: Children of the Atom.
- A Winner Is You: None of the secret characters get a proper ending, at least in the English version.
- Your Soul Is Mine:Mephisto: "Now I tell you a truth. Your soul belongs to me."
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Again, the Hulk:"Don't make me angry! You wouldn't like me..."
Alternative Title(s):Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter
X-Men vs. Street Fighter UsefulNotes/The Fifth Generation of Console Video Games Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes