Fringe Benefits, also known variously as tasakeru828, BHS, and Socko the Happy Turtle (only on Tuesdays), is a geek, Nightmare Fetishist, and Japanese culture enthusiast with a weird sense of humor who lives somewhere in Virginia. TVTropes has ruined his life on more than one occasion. He's an absolutely hopeless Serial Tweaker, for one thing. He created the pages Tasakeru, Kudzu, That One Achievement, Topless Robot, Stars Above, Nil, My Little Unicorn, Respect, Happiness Charge Pretty Cure, The Changeling of the Guard, and the Self Demonstrating page for The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight. He writes the fantasy series Tasakeru, an attempt to tell a really deep, engaging, mature story for young adults with a cast of anthropomorphic animals. Leave feedback if you read it, please. He also dabbles in short fiction and poetry, which can be found here. Of note here is the infamous short story "The Fourth Wall", a self-described "bad short story about bad short stories." In Fall 2011, he entered the wonderful and terrifying world of Fan Fiction (*DRAMATIC CHORD*) with his first serious effort, Stars Above. Co-written by fellow Onioneer and co-conspirator Forzare, Stars Above is a Puella Magi Madoka Magica / Lucky Star Crossover fic, the first of its kind, and is fucking awesome, in his totally unbiased opinion. He also wrote another Crossover called Respect, and a third called Shattered Skies. His FF.net page can be found here. In 2017, he began a YouTube review series called Silent InvenTOYry, covering Japanese action figures, model kits, and collectables. As its title implies, the series is completely dialogue-free, and the reviews are done via captions, music, sound effects, and snark. He finally got tired of the many ridiculous things he wrote about himself in previous edits of this page, and decided to make it slightly more coherent. His interests also encompass multiple sci-fi, fantasy, and comedy series, anything by Hayao Miyazaki or Joss Whedon, and writing about himself in third person. He is an unofficial member of the Evil League of Evil in his spare time, operating under the alias "The Hamsterminator". ALL HAIL BAD HORSE.
Various Stuff That I Find Awesome
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Sailor Moon
- Lucky Star
- Digimon, particularly Digimon Tamers
- Anything by Hayao Miyazaki, especially Princess Mononoke
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
- Shinryaku! Ika Musume
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Bodacious Space Pirates
- Summer Wars
- Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos
- Kill la Kill
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Pretty Cure (especially HeartCatch Pretty Cure!, Smile Pretty Cure!, and Go! Princess Pretty Cure)
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
- Ghostbusters, along with all the sequels and spin-offs
- The Truman Show
- Star Trek: First Contact
- Star Trek (2009)
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet
- Hot Fuzz
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- The Seven Samurai and anything else by Akira Kurosawa
- The Avengers
- Les Misérables (2012)
Literature and Poetry
- All Star Trek series
- Anything by Joss Whedon
- The Muppet Show and its spinoffs
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
- The Office (both versions)
- 30 Rock
- Monty Python's Flying Circus
- Fawlty Towers
- Samurai Sentai Shinkenger
- Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
- Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger
- The Daily Show
- Arrested Development
- Parks and Recreation
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Beast Wars
- Transformers Animated
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- WALL•E and everything else by Pixar
- Looney Tunes
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- Phineas and Ferb
- Samurai Jack
- South Park
- The entire DCAU
- Gravity Falls
- Adventure Time
- Steven Universe
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil
- Rick and Morty
- Wander over Yonder
Other Stuff I Like
- Writing (fantasy, humor/satire, poetry, short stories, and fanfic)
- Playing acoustic guitar
- Collecting Magical Girl action figures
- Photographing said action figures
- Debating philosophy, as long as it's not Nietzchean or Randian
- Gathering and retaining of utterly useless trivia
Tropes That Describe Me
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: A moderate case of holy crap there's a bird outside my window
- Celebrity Resemblance: I can pull off a pretty impressive Neil Patrick Harris as Dr Horrible on Halloween (see the picture), but I have a scary resemblance to Mackenzie Crook without even trying.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Geek Physiques: The skinny version, to the point where I can stand still and be mistaken for a coat rack.
- Geeky Turn-On: Fair warning, I have tons.
- Nerds Are Sexy: ... hopefully?
- Nightmare Fetishist
- Proud to Be a Geek: Sensing a pattern here?
- Pungeon Master
- Rousseau Was Right: Included here not necessarily because it describes me, but because it's the one belief I cling to above all else.
- Serial Tweaker: See TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life below...
- Third-Person Person: Fringe Benefits knows you're reading this.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life
Vandalism Section, because everyone else has one
- The bare vandalism section is a disgrace. I have come to fix it! -Takwin
- Aww, no adorable picture for me to replycomment on. That should be fixed. :) -Amarys
- Holy fuck, thanks, Fringe! I guess I should try some of your stuff too. Oh, it'll take 2 days before I can publish it on Fiction Press. ARSE> -Sen
- Right, I've published it. Can I still blame you for getting me into this if it goes wrong? hahahaha -Sen
- I find the picture outstandingly appropriate. Rainbow Dust
- Alright, another fan of The Beatles. They're the greatest band ever, am I right? I also think the picture (of you, I'm guessing) on your page is really great. I think that with the right hairstyle, you (again, I'm guessing) could look just like Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown from the Back to the Future trilogy. Feel free to visit my Troper page and PLEASE try to leave a nice comment about it for me OK? Life is better with friends, not enemies. - AlBundyFan365
- *gasp* Dr. Horrible! :D - MsieurLapin
- Waaaah ha ha ha ha ha! WaaAAahaaHAAAA! HaaAAAaaaAH! So that's... coming along.
- I haven't spoken to you through this manner for a while, but I wanted to tell you about something I found to be really great. If you like watching Chris Pine as Captain Kirk in Star Trek (2009), then I recommend watching him in Unstoppable. I saw it in the movie theater and I think Chris Pine did well as one of the main characters. Of course, Denzel Washington was fantastic, too. Overall, I thought the film had been very intense most of the time and the action made my blood pulse rise up. If you do manage to watch this film, please inform me on my Contributor page if you liked anything about it. (8^) - AlBundyFan365
- Since you vandalized my page, I feel obligated to vandalize back. I am insanely jealous of your awesome goggles. - Serenity Squid
- FEAR THE GOGGLES OF AWESOMENESS.
- I'm going to steal them while you sleep. - Sango Of The Dead
- You can have my goggles when you pry them out of my cold, dead hands!
- FEAR THE GOGGLES OF AWESOMENESS.
- You are the only person to ever cosplay that immeadiately made me say "That is AWESOME". - Tropers/OOZE
- I am watching your every move, also cookies. - Rareitor
- YOU CANNOT HAVE MY COOKIES.
- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, MY COOKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES...!
- Goddammit Pinky.
- YOU CANNOT HAVE MY COOKIES.
- Huge goggles: one of the first signals of a mad scientist in making. - Amused Troper Guy
- Did you hear about what Gregg Williams did from 2009-2011 when he was with the New Orleans Saints? I don't like what he did at all. - AlBundyFan365
- Uh, no. I don't follow sports. Like, at all.
- Hi! I got rid of the obsolete index markup at the bottom of your page. Hello, again. -Indigo12ash