"I have always been… different. Special. Aberrant. I possess less of the ability to control my emotions. Curiosity compels me, and not merely towards outside of the hive. Amongst our kind, lack of fine emotional control is embarrassing, but tolerated in some respects. Hunters are allowed more leeway with anger, as it bolsters offensive capability. Nursemaids to the hatchlings are encouraged to be affectionate, to ensure that the young are well fed. Scouts are driven by curiosity, the urge to see more. Gatherers… Well. Much is presumed about the gatherers. But rarely do they spend much time within the hive. My curiosity, however, was for how things work. This may seem like no crime. However, the hive runs like the gears of a clock. Our tasks are completed in the manner they were explained, and no more. One does not simply alter the schedule. And the hive has little tolerance for unimportant questions. Curiosity does not warrant concern from a drone, especially one tasked to expansion of the nest, as I was..."The Changeling of the Guard
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic by VDrake77. It is the story of Idol Hooves, a very unusual changeling
After being exiled from The Hive
by Queen Chrysalis
for the crime of questioning the rigid protocol of changeling society, Idol travels Equestria in search of his own identity, meeting other ponies along the way and attempting to satisfy the curiosity that got him exiled in the first place. The problem is, drone changelings like Idol aren't exactly equipped to blend in for long periods of time... and of course, his natural form would be most unwelcome among ponyfolk. Is there any place in Equestria that Idol can truly call his own?
Initially set a number of years before Luna's redemption
, the author promises that the story will eventually catch up to the events of A Canterlot Wedding
and beyond.Needs Wiki Magic Love
This story contains examples of:
- Adorkable: Topaz, when it comes to insects. See Nerdgasm below.
- The Cameo: Idol accidentally runs into Daring Do and Ahuizotl in the middle of a confrontation, causing a hell of a lot of confusion for both of them.
- Emotion Eater: This applies to all of the changelings, but Idol explains that emotions of all kinds, not just love, can serve as nourishment for changelings. Different emotions can have different effects on the one who's feeding.
- The Exile: Queen Chrysalis banishes Idol from The Hive for going against the established order.
- The Face: Silver Tongue is this for the caravan. Idol describes her as knowing when to "lay it on thick", though he doesn't quite understand the meaning of the expression.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Chrysalis banishes Idol from The Hive simply for questioning its structure. And poor Idol, not knowing any better, doesn't blame her in the least for this...
- Hero of Another Story: If Word of God is to be believed, when the story catches up to A Canterlot Wedding, we'll see what happens in that episode from Idol's perspective. He might even visible in the episode as one of the background Royal Guards...
- The Hive: It's the story of a changeling being exiled from his hive, and what happens afterward.
- The Ingenue: Idol is a male, but he otherwise fits this to a tee. Seeing as he's recounting his first time exploring the world outside The Hive, his naivety is understandable.
- Nerdgasm: Topaz, an entomologist, has one upon discovering Idol's true nature.
- No Sense of Humor: Idol completely misses most of Wasta's humor at first, though he comes to find it fascinating.
- Pungeon Master: Wasta Matter, fitting given his name. note
- Punny Name: Wasta (see above), and Idol himself.
- Quest for Identity: It forms the crux of Idol's journey, though it takes him a while to realize it for himself.
- Shape Shifters: The changelings, obviously. Idol explains the mechanics and technical aspects of shapeshifting quite thoroughly. He can even take on the form of an alicorn, though not without rather serious consequences... see With Great Power Comes Great Insanity below.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Rough Shod, as befitting his Grumpy Old Stallion archetype. He drops quite a few Cluster B-Bombs when talking to Idol.
- Wandering Equestria: Though Idol stays for quite some time in a Saddle Arabian caravan, he eventually leaves to wander on his own.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: When Idol takes on the shape of an alicorn to intimidate an attacking manticore, he gets far more than he bargained for... His very personality changes, and he gets completely burnt out afterwards.