Fan Fic: The Changeling Of The Guard
"I have always been… different. Special. Aberrant. I possess less of the ability to control my emotions. Curiosity compels me, and not merely towards outside of the hive. Amongst our kind, lack of fine emotional control is embarrassing, but tolerated in some respects. Hunters are allowed more leeway with anger, as it bolsters offensive capability. Nursemaids to the hatchlings are encouraged to be affectionate, to ensure that the young are well fed. Scouts are driven by curiosity, the urge to see more. Gatherers… Well. Much is presumed about the gatherers. But rarely do they spend much time within the hive. My curiosity, however, was for how things work. This may seem like no crime. However, the hive runs like the gears of a clock. Our tasks are completed in the manner they were explained, and no more. One does not simply alter the schedule. And the hive has little tolerance for unimportant questions. Curiosity does not warrant concern from a drone, especially one tasked to expansion of the nest, as I was..."The Changeling of the Guard is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic by VDrake77. It is the story of Idol Hooves, a very unusual changeling.After being exiled from The Hive by Queen Chrysalis for the crime of questioning the rigid protocol of changeling society, Idol travels Equestria in search of his own identity, meeting other ponies along the way and attempting to satisfy the curiosity that got him exiled in the first place. The problem is, drone changelings like Idol aren't exactly equipped to blend in for long periods of time... and of course, his natural form would be most unwelcome among ponyfolk. Is there any place in Equestria that Idol can truly call his own?Yes there is: in Princess Celestia's Royal Guard.Initially set a number of years before Luna's redemption, the author promises that the story will eventually catch up to the events of A Canterlot Wedding and beyond.Idol and Topaz have a Character Blog, "Out of Idol Curiosity", which can be found here.Needs Wiki Magic LoveFeatured on Equestia Daily.
This story contains examples of:
- Achievements in Ignorance: Idol manages to find his way into a temple right before Daring Do and Ahuizotl show up - and marvels at the imagery on the walls, grows annoyed when loose stones cause spikes, darts and arrows to try to impale him, and eventually just passes by all the (undoubtedly trapped) loot within to grab a mysteriously enchanted gob-er, chalice. He then escapes without qualm or concern, completely and utterly failing to realize what he's just done.
- He later joins the Royal Guard by accident.
- Adorkable: Topaz, when it comes to insects. See Nerdgasm below.
- Alien Catnip / I Can't Believe It's Not Heroin: Changelings have interesting reactions to honey or anything sugary. They are insects, after all...
- Bee People: Changeling society and hive structure is expanded upon in great detail, though very little of the story actually takes place in The Hive itself.
- The Cameo: Idol accidentally runs into Daring Do and Ahuizotl in the middle of a confrontation, causing a hell of a lot of confusion for both of them.
- Character Blog: Out of Idol Curiosity
- Cloud Cuckoolander: To be fair, Idol hasn't exactly had a whole lot of experience outside of The Hive, but some of the things he does are... strange. Such as filling his saddlebags with cement mixture after his first encounter with it, and mistaking a prison cell for comfortable lodging space.
- Emotion Eater: This applies to all of the changelings, but Idol explains that emotions of all kinds, not just love, can serve as nourishment for changelings. Different emotions can have different effects on the one who's feeding. And it can be taken too far... see Empty Shell below.
- Empty Shell: What happens when a Changeling feeds on somepony's emotions too much. Idol does this to poor Topaz by accident, just by feeding on her interest. She can barely walk, speak, or eat until he manages to snap her out of it. He also mentions that this has happened on occasion to the parents of hatchlings in TheHive... their own children can consume them if they feed them too much love.
- The Exile: Queen Chrysalis banishes Idol from The Hive for going against the established order.
- The Face: Silver Tongue is this for the caravan. Idol describes her as knowing when to "lay it on thick", though he doesn't quite understand the meaning of the expression.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Chrysalis banishes Idol from The Hive simply for questioning its structure. And poor Idol, not knowing any better, doesn't blame her in the least for this...
- Hero of Another Story: If Word of God is to be believed, when the story catches up to A Canterlot Wedding, we'll see what happens in that episode from Idol's perspective. He might even visible in the episode as one of the background Royal Guards...
- The Hive: It's the story of a changeling being exiled from his hive, and what happens afterward.
- The Ingenue: Idol is a male, but he otherwise fits this to a tee. Seeing as he's recounting his first time exploring the world outside The Hive, his naivety is understandable.
- Is That What They're Calling It Now?: "Manticore attack".
- Literal-Minded: Sort of like a Changeling version of Drax, Idol tends to have trouble understanding metaphors and figures of speech. There are quite a few Expospeak Gags relating to phrases he finds confusing, some of which are very subtle.
- Nerdgasm: Topaz, an entomologist, has one upon discovering Idol's true nature.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Nothing much seems to hurt Idol, demonstrated when he explores a crypt and is only mildly annoyed by the constant booby-traps... the booby-traps he even notices, anyway. He later demonstrates this to a very alarmed Topaz by jumping off a very high roof and landing in front of her without a scratch while wearing his unicorn disguise.
- No Sense of Humor: Idol completely misses most of Wasta's humor at first, though he comes to find it fascinating... to the point that in a later chapter, he horrifies Topaz with an ill-timed joke about changeling drones typically eating other drones that have been injured. Topaz is not amused.
- Pungeon Master: Wasta Matter, fitting given his name. note
- Punny Name: Wasta (see above), and Idol himself.
- Quest for Identity: It forms the crux of Idol's journey, though it takes him a while to realize. This includes choosing a name for himself... Topaz shoots down several of his suggestions before he settles on "Idol Hooves".
- Shape Shifters: The changelings, obviously. Idol explains the mechanics and technical aspects of shapeshifting quite thoroughly. He can even take on the form of an alicorn, though not without rather serious consequences... see With Great Power Comes Great Insanity below.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Rough Shod, as befitting his Grumpy Old Stallion archetype. He drops quite a few Cluster B-Bombs when talking to Idol.
- Later, the Drill Sergeant Nasty who welcomes Idol and Shining Armor to the Guard also fits the bill.
- Wandering Equestria: Though Idol stays for quite some time in a Saddle Arabian caravan, he eventually leaves to wander on his own.
- Wham Line: “Not supposed to be moving around while at ease, you know. But you can call me Shining.”
- Why Did It Have To Be Trains
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: When Idol takes on the shape of an alicorn to intimidate an attacking manticore, he gets far more than he bargained for... His very personality changes, and he gets completely burnt out afterwards.