Recap / Futurama M 2 The Beast With A Billion Backs
Professor Farnsworth tries to solve the mystery behind the interdimensional anomaly that's been seen in the sky since Bender's Big Score
. Meanwhile, Fry dates a female police officer named Colleen (voiced by Brittany Murphy
, in what would sadly be her last voiceover rolenote
) who is in a polyamorous relationship with four other guys, Amy becomes Kif's fon-fon-ru, and Bender joins a secret society of robots that everyone else thinks isn't real.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Electromatter paper acts like this towards regular matter, and also Yivo. Bender makes great use of it by covering his sword in pieces of the electromatter paper that Fry sent as correspondence, allowing him to actually harm Yivo.
- Adam and Eve Plot: Zapp suggests he and Leela repopulate the human race when it seems that the two of them and Amy are the last un-tentacled humans on the planet. It doesn't work, though Zapp does end up sleeping with a grief-stricken Amy. It's not the last time he'll bring it up.
- Back from the Dead: Kif gets killed early on in a botched attempt to attack the anomaly. Yivo brings him back later on.
- Black Comedy: Being of the Futurama equation, we're provided with quite a bit of this. A notable example would be Bender reuniting with his estranged first-born son in a heartwarming reunion scene, then taking him to the Robot Devil's office and punting the child into a vat of electric magma, which kills the tortured robots inside. The Robot Devil's reaction:
Robot Devil: Wow, that was pretty brutal even by my standards.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Yivo takes it Up to Eleven, fitting the Trope despite having billions of potential lovers.
- Comforting the Widow: Zapp Branigan and Amy, after Kif is killed, thanks to Zapp's incompetence. Gets kinda awkward when he inevitably gets better.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Yivo doesn't like shkler paramour(s) talking to other universes, meaning shke tries to cut off all contact with the now robot filled universe. Because Fry continued to contact Bender afterward, Yivo breaks things off.
- The Dog Bites Back: Kif punches Zapp in the belly at the end for sleeping with Amy while Kif was dead.
- Double Standard: Rape, Divine on Mortal: Not only is it viewed as okay here, it's viewed as funny by viewers.
- The Dragon: Fry. And as "tentacle-pope of the world", he's surprisingly competent.
- Eldritch Abomination: Yivo is an extremely friendly and sympathetic version of this.
- Enormous Engagement Ring: Yivo proposes to the universe with one of these ultra-large rings.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: A Stegosaurus inexplicably shows up grazing on the White House's lawn.
- Amy funeral outfit◊. And she was the WIDOW!
- Before, her bride outfit for the Fon Fon-Rubok ceremony.
- Hell Invades Heaven: In what is likely to be his most Awesome Moment, Bender gathers the Legions Of (Robot) Hell and drags Yivo's Heaven down to Earth.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Upon completion of the Fon Fon-Rubok ceremony in "The Beast With A Billion Backs", Amy joyously declares "Oh, Kif, this is just like a movie with this happening in it!"
- Love Freak: Yivo, along with anyone with one of shkler tentacles in their neck.
- Moving Buildings: There's an apartment block where the apartments rise and fall, like elevators.
- Only Sane Man: Leela is this. While everyone else in the universe was absorbed into the "love" from Yivo, Leela was the only one who saw the flaws in it. She eventually gives into it though, only to be interrupted by Bender.
- Punny Name / Getting Crap Past the Radar: The title is a parody on "the beast with two backs", which is a euphemism for sex and famously heard in the Shakespeare play Othello.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Fry and Colleen are this at first. Leela even lampshades it
Leela: It is pretty sickening.
- Spoof Aesop: Love that shares itself with the world isn't real love, because real love is selfish and greedy.
- Touch of the Monster: "Calamari Surprise" version on the cover of "The Beast with a Billion Backs", showing Leela in a skimpy nightdress struggling in the grip of Naughty Tentacles as the rest of the cast look on in horror.
- Unwitting Pawn: Fry feels this way when it's revealed what Yivo had really been doing to the universe, since he was the first one to make contact and thus feels responsible for putting it upon the universe.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Fry wants to shove a tentacle into everyone in the universe so he can "share the love" with them.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: When Fry comes back from the other universe with a tentacle attached to him, he speaks like this until Leela makes fun of it.
- You Said You Would Let Me Go: Zoidberg's reaction to the Professor after the game of Deathball in, "The Beast With a Billion Backs, Part I".
Farnsworth: Congratulations, Deathballers! We've won the right to explore the anomaly!
Zoidberg: What? I thought I was playing for my freedom!
Farnsworth (offhandedly): No.