Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 6 E 15 As You Were
Riley: I've been up 48 hours straight tracking down something bad. Now it's come to Sunnydale.
Riley returns to enlist Buffy's aid in tracking down a demon black market dealer.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: Buffy gets pissed off when a vampire doesn't want to eat her.
- Battle Couple: Riley and Sam
- BFG: Riley wields a USAS-12 shotgun. Though in a Fridge Logic moment he hands it to Buffy at the one time a full-auto shotgun would have come in useful.
- The Bus Came Back
- Blatant Lies
Dawn: How's the soon-to-be newlyweds? Nervous?
Dawn makes rapid exit...
Riley: National Forestry Service, we got a wild bear!
- Boy Loses Girl
- Butt Monkey: Spike gets slugged by both Riley and Buffy, his black market deal falls through, then his girlfriend blows up his lair and dumps him.
- Brick Joke: Riley loves Buffy's new haircut. Not so the burger smell.
Buffy: You smelled the smell?
Anya: "Planning this marriage is like staging the invasion of Normandy."
Xander: "Without the laughs. We should have eloped."
Anya: "No. I've been through too much planning this wedding, and it is going to happen. It is going to be our perfect, perfect day if I have to kill every one of our guests and half this town to do it."
- Buffy Speak: Buffy's not exactly Gun Girl.
- Call Back
Sam: You got a safe house?
- Cannot Spit It Out: Averted; Buffy finally admits out loud that she's sleeping with Spike, and that admission helps her to end their self-destructive relationship.
- Consummate Liar: Spike doesn't even blink when Buffy tells him she's looking for a demon trafficker called the Doctor.
- Did You Die?: Buffy and Riley promise to swap stories if they get a chance and see whose were more exiting/dangerous/crazy etc. She asks if he died, and when he says he didn't, she says, "I'm going to win."
- Dogged Nice Guy: Both Riley and Sam in their interactions with Buffy.
- Double Entendre: Spike suggests that as Buffy won't let him come inside her house it's time she came...outside. Cue Spuffy sex on the lawn.
- Dawn sees the grass stain on the back of Buffy's coat and asks if a vampire got rough with her. Buffy mutters, "He's not getting any gentler."
- The Easy Way or the Hard Way: Riley Perp Sweating Spike. "We can do this the hard way, or the fatal way."
- Explosive Breeder: The Suvolte demon.
- Fast Roping: A good opportunity for UST.
- Geographic Flexibility: Sunnydale now has a dam.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
Spike: I can't go inside, so ... maybe the time is right ... for you to come outside.
- Golden Moment: Though everyone but Buffy hugs Riley.
Riley: You're up, you're down ... it doesn't change what you are. And you are a hell of a woman.
- Homoerotic Subtext / Why Don't You Marry It?
Anya: You know, if you love Riley Finn so much, maybe you should just marry him.
Xander: He's taken. And that's not the point.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Lampshaded when Buffy asks Riley, "Were you always this tall?"
- Humiliation Conga: Buffy's life is in a rut. Her old flame turns up and sees her wearing a silly hat. He turns out to be married. Then he catches her in bed with an evil bloodsucking fiend. Who turns out to be the black marketeer they're looking for.
- Hypocritical Humor: Willow says she'll be petty and nasty to Sam on Buffy's behalf. She eventually calls Sam a bitch — after she's left.
- Idiot Ball: Riley recruits Buffy to join him on a demon hunt, but forgets to tell her he needs it alive. But somehow we're still supposed to see this as Buffy's fault.
- Spike traffics in demon eggs but doesn't store them properly, so they start to hatch.
- I Can Explain: Spike is just holding the demon eggs for a friend—(Buffy punches him in the face)
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy:
- Buffy seems about to tell Riley that she tried to stop him leaving in "Into the Woods", but then changes it to say she just regrets things didn't work out between them.
- Riley tells Buffy he has authorization to terminate 'The Doctor', but won't do so unless that's what Buffy wants.
- Spike insists that there's nothing wrong with them being together even if Buffy's being weak and selfish until she says that it's killing her.
- Interrupted Intimacy: Riley walks in on Buffy and Spike in bed together. Despite having threatened to kill Spike in "Into the Woods" if he ever touched Buffy, Riley resists the temptation to blow the smug vampire's head off.
- Kill It with Fire: Buffy throws Riley's grenade belt down into the crypt to destroy the Suvolte hatchlings. Spike is later shown contemplating the burnt out wreckage of his once-comfy crypt.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: Used as an excuse so Buffy can leave Sam to go and shag Spike.
- Love Martyr: Buffy tells Spike she's just using him for her own selfish needs. Realising that Buffy is serious about breaking up, Spike hastens to say that he's really not complaining about that.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Buffy has sex with Spike on the lawn of her house while Dawn is waiting for her inside.
- Master of the Mixed Message / All Take and No Give: Spike lets lose his frustrations about Buffy.
- Meaningful Echo
- Spike will unconsciously repeat Riley's "You are a hell of a woman" in "Touched", and in much the same context.
- "Tell me that you love me." Warren demanded the same from a brainwashed Katrina in "Dead Things".
- "Girl just needs a little monster in her man." Spike said this to Riley in "Into the Woods".
- Modesty Bedsheet: Justified for once — Buffy is embarrassed when Riley bursts in on them, so she cowers behind the sheet while a smirking Spike doesn't hide his naked body.
- Moment Killer
- Mundane Solution: Buffy says the Suvolte demon is too fast to chase. Description Cut to them chasing after it in Riley's SUV.
- Neck Snap: Buffy killing the Suvolte demon.
- The Nicknamer: Xander refers to Sam/Riley as Nick and Nora Fury. Sam calls her husband Captain Can-Do.
- No Means Yes: Averted; Spike is initially amused by Buffy's break-up speech, assuming she'll come back to him as she always does. Buffy admits she still desires him, but sticks to her guns.
- Obligatory Joke: On Riley's sweet ride.
Buffy: Nice wheels.
Riley: They came with the car.
- Oblivious Mockery: Sam asks Buffy if she's seeing someone. Buffy waffles on that she doesn't need a guy at this time.
Sam: Yeah, better no guy than the wrong guy, that's for sure.
- Poor Communication Kills the Suvolte Demon: Riley fails to tell Buffy they need the demon alive. He also fails to mention he's married, but as Buffy (who on their last encounter had been furious with him) was acting like the flirty, quirky girl he'd fallen in love with, his reluctance to drop that particular bombshell was understandable if not excusable.
Buffy: "We need to stop this thing before Sunnydale turns into the Trouble Meat Palace. ... I wish I'd said something different."
- Puppy-Dog Pout: Spike's reaction to Buffy refusing to let him into the house for sex.
- Rugged Scar: Riley now has a standard Awesome McCool scar across his left eye.
- Rule of Symbolism: At the end of the episode after dumping Spike, Buffy walks out of his crypt into the light.
- Saying Too Much
get rough with you?
Buffy: He's not getting any gentler.
Buffy: They! Them...you know...vampires in a...general sense...
- Selective Obliviousness
Buffy: The Doctor...it can't be Spike....
Spike: No need to defend me, luv.
Riley: Right — deadly, amoral, opportunistic...or had you forgotten?
- Sex for Solace: "Being with you makes things simpler. For a little while."
- Spider-Sense: Buffy senses Spike lurking outside her house, though he says it doesn't count as he wasn't exactly hiding.
- Spy Catsuit: Riley provides Buffy with her own kevlar 'ninja wear'.
- Suggestive Collision: Happens twice to Buffy/Riley.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Buffy is upset that Riley has gotten married, so she flees back to Spike's arms.
Buffy: Tell me you love me.
Buffy: Tell me you want me.
- Skewed Priorities: "My hat has a cow." "You smelled the smell?"
- Smug Snake: Spike can't resist riling Riley over how he's boffing Buffy.
- Stock Phrases: Riley says he's going to search Spike's crypt.
Spike: Over my dead body.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Buffy blows up Spike's crypt using Riley's grenade belt.
- Talk to the Fist: Buffy every time Spike pisses her off.
- Testosterone Poisoning
Glad to be back in Sunnydale. The locals all speak English, and I know who to beat for information
. It's all brought me here. Spike:
Look, Crew Cut
. She's not your bint any more. And if I can speak frankly, she always had a little thing for me, even when she was shagging you. Riley:
Nice. That's very distracting. Now tell me, before I get unprofessional... (pointing his gun at Spike) ...where are the eggs, Spike?
- This Is the Part Where...: Spike quickly realises Buffy is going to break up with him, but doesn't take it seriously. "I've memorized this tune, love. I think I have the sheet music."
- Took a Level in Badass: Sam — from Peace Corp volunteer to Action Girl.
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth: A vampire takes a raincheck on trying to eat the Slayer because she stinks of fried food. Next moment a stake is hurled into his heart.
- The Triple
Riley: You want me to say that I liked seeing you in bed with that idiot? Or that blinding orange is your very best color? Or that that burger smell is appealing?
Buffy: (appalled) You smelled the smell?
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Averted; Dawn asks if Riley is going to split all secret-agenty like last time. Instead Riley and Sam are pulled up into a helicopter while everyone waves goodbye.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods / Sex Goddess: Five hours of sex? Really?
- Villain Ball: Spike not keeping the Suvolte eggs frozen.
- Walk In Chime In
(leaping out in front of her) Least of your problems now, little girl
- Weirdness Censor: Rampaging demon = wild bear.
- Wham Line
Riley: That's not why I'm here...Doctor.
- Writer on Board: Guns = Never useful.
- You Called Me X, It Must Be Serious: Buffy calls Spike 'William' when breaking up with him, ironically showing him more respect than when they were lovers.
- You! Exclamation
Buffy: Doublemeat Palace, how can I help— (realises the 'customer' is Riley) ...you!
- You Need a Breath Mint: Buffy is on the way home from her shift at a Greasy Spoon when a vampire tries to eat her, only to back off because she smells terrible. Buffy naturally takes offense.
"You're dead! You smell like it! How do you get to say I'm the one who's stinky?"
- You Talk Too Much: Spike
Riley: Can't you make him shut up?
Buffy: Not so far.