The Onion Book of Known Knowledge
is a mock encyclopedia by The Onion
. Entries go from A to Z, including an extra letter made up for the book.
This Book Provides Examples of:
- Ironic Hell; The entry on Osama bin Laden says he's in a dimension of hell where he's the sole mail-room clerk in the still-standing World Trade Center.
- Puff of Logic: One entry that reads as follows:
Duane Reade (b. Feb. 12, 1919): American entrepreneur and the founder of Duane Reade drug stores, who promptly evaporated into thin air upon discovering that Duane Reade pharmacy was actually named after the corner of Duane Street and Reade Street in New York, and that he did not exist.
- Running Gag:
- The narrator waxes wistful about his ex-girlfriend Caroline.
- Griping about statutory rape laws.
- Story Arc: Anders Van Braak and sonic-neural technology.
- Take That, Audience!: The introduction makes it clear that The Onion isn't kidding with its motto, "Tu Stultus Es." (Latin for "You are dumb.")