labeled this as "the funniest animated film of all time".
- The beginning with the merchant;
Merchant: Please, please, come closer. [face gets smushed against the screen] Too close, a little too close.
- Also, this gem, before he shows the lamp:
: Look at this! Yes! Combination Hookah and Coffee Maker. Also makes Julienne fries
! It will not break!! (taps it on table
) It will not—*'BOING!!
(tosses it over his shoulder
) Oh! Look at this! (pulls out a small white box
) I have never seen one of these intact before. This the famous Dead Sea Tupperware. Listen. (razzes
) Ah, still good!
- This gem.
Jasmine: Please try to understand! I've never done a thing on my own! I've never had any real friends. (Rajah growls) Except you, Rajah. I've never even been outside the palace walls!
Sultan: But, Jasmine, you're a princess!
Jasmine: Then maybe I don't wanna be a princess anymore!
Sultan: [growling with frustration]: Oooh!!! Allah forbid you should have any daughters!
[Rajah grunts in confusion, thinking the Sultan is referring to him]
Sultan: I don't know where she gets it from. Her mother wasn't nearly so picky.
- The bit where Genie snaps his fingers and turns Abu into all kinds of different things, before settling on an elephant. He's not even looking at Abu, he's letting his mind wander, and that just makes him more human.
- It's very quick but during "One Jump Ahead", a lady takes a swing at Aladdin's head with a broom, so he ducks but his hat stays where it is, spinning in the air. He rises back into the frame to put it back on his head with the most unamused look on his face you can think of.
- If you had to name a moment that doesn't include the Genie, it would be in the "One Jump Ahead" sequence, when Abu pulls a scimitar on the guards.
- Abu pulled the scimitar from a sword-eater's mouth, then the sword-eater grabbed his throat and start gagging.
- At another point in the same sequence, Aladdin tries to lose the guards by going over a bed of hot coals. He uses the performer as a stepping stone, while the guards just run over coals while comically dancing on their scorched tootsies.
- During the "Prince Ali" song, there's two for the price of one:
- Jafar - not the kind of character usually susceptible to slapstick - tries to keep the parade out of the palace only to get squashed by the door. How he and Iago look afterwards◊ also counts.
- And then when the Sultan introduces him, joyfully telling "Ali" that Jafar is delighted to meet him too. Cut to Jafar standing with his arms crossed giving them a Death Glare, and then mutters "ecstatic" in the most deadpan voice possible.
- In between those two, during the song's big finish there's a brief shot of Jafar shoving the entourage out of the palace, then at the very end him slamming the doors with a hilariously irritated look on his face.
- The Sultan's joyride on Carpet, which includes him telling Jafar to "button up", buzzing Elephant!Abu, terrorizing Iago, who bumps into a pillar after dodging the Sultan, lands at the bottom, and sees miniature Sultans flying on Carpets, chanting, "Have a cracker! Have a cracker!", and Carpet ending up falling-down dizzy.
- Jasmine yells at Aladdin, Jafar and the Sultan for talking about her behind her back and even Jafar looks uncomfortable as she tears them a new one.
- Aladdin's ploy to rescue Jasmine from the marketplace after she steals an apple. It becomes even funnier as Jasmine plays along with his insanity plea.
Aladdin: Now come along, sis. Time to go see the doctor.
Jasmine: (addressing a camel while staring vacantly into space) Why hello, doctor. How are you?
Aladdin: (in a tone of voice that clearly says "Dial it back, dial it back.") No, no, no, not that one.
- Also kinda a moment of heartwarming because it shows their connection. They both connect and understand each other and are willing to assist the other, something rather differing from previous Disney relationships.
- "I can't believe it; I'm losing to a rug."
- Let's face it, Abu has a bunch of the funnier moments here. Here are just three examples:
- Abu bitching Aladdin out in monkey speak, ending with his sarcastic monkey-speech impression of Jasmine. The fact that you can tell exactly what he's trying to say is also a real tour-de-force for Frank Welker's acting and animal noise-making abilities.
- There's also the look on Abu's face when Aladdin manages to spin the monkey-tantrum into fuel for seducing Jasmine. His expression◊ is one of rage, disbelief, and confusion all rolled into one face.
- And then Abu sets to freeing Aladdin...with a set of lockpicks. How often does Abu have to bust Aladdin out of handcuffs?
- During the aforementioned insanity plea, Aladdin says that Jasmine thinks Abu is the Sultan. She plays along, bowing to Abu and greeting him formally, and he responds by actually acting like a sultan.
- The "Prince Ali" song is funny enough in its own right, but the way it repeatedly cuts to Jasmine's utterly unimpressed face is hysterical.
- When Jafar rubs the lamp for the first time:
- "I think it's time to say goodbye to Prince Abooboo."
- After Aladdin exposes Jafar:
Iago: We gotta get outta here! We gotta get out! I gotta start packing, your highness! Only essentials, we gotta travel light. I'll bring the guns, the weapons, the knives... And how about this picture? I don't know, I think I'm making a weird face in it?
- He then makes said weird face, complete with buck-teeth. As well as guns and swords, he tosses a set of knuckledusters in there.
- A meta example involving that particular bit: not only was that line improvised by Gilbert Gottfried, but it made Robin Williams laugh!
- At the very beginning, there's a scene where Aladdin meets a noble, heading to the Palace on his horse. As the rude man rides away, Aladdin hollers out:
- Not only is the horse also offended, but he realizes it's an insult before the noble does.
- For the people who missed the reference, Aladdin called the noble a horse's ass
- Not a joke but Hilarious in Hindsight after he tells Aladdin he will amount to nothing and have no one. Not only does Achmed fail to marry Jasmine and get attacked by Rajah, Aladdin himself ends up with her.
- The noble tells Aladdin that he will die a worthless street rat and only his fleas will mourn him. After everyone's gone, he mutters that he's not worthless and doesn't have fleas, then immediately scratches his head.
- Aladdin is battling Jafar (currently in giant snake form) and, in an Indy Ploy, flings an 'always second best' jibe at him. The Genie wishes he hadn't.
Aladdin: The Genie has more power than you'll ever have!
Genie (looking awkward): Al, what are you doing? Why are you bringing me into this?
- "Tell her the TRUTH!"
- How the Genie takes his time to save Aladdin from drowning like he's expecting to get an answer from Al's unconscious body.
: Never fails. You get in the bath, and there's a rub at the lamp
(squeaks rubber duckie) Hello? (sees the unconscious Aladdin
) Al? (gasps
) Al! Kid! Snap out of it! Oh, you can't cheat on this one! I can't help ya unless you make a wish! You have to say "Genie, I want you to save my life." Got it? Okay. (shakes Aladdin
) C'MON, ALADDIN!! (Aladdin's head droops
) I'll take that as a "yes". (head becomes siren
) WOOGA! WOOGA! (Genie turns into a submarine
) Upscope! (babbles in German as he pulls Al out of the water
Genie: I'm gettin' kinda fond of you, kid. Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything...
- The alternate line from the "Genie Outtakes" on the Diamond Edition is probably even funnier:
- Jafar trying to hypnotize the Sultan the second time.
- Also oddly heartwarming: the ONLY time he manages to resist Jafar's hypnosis is out of concern for Jasmine, even when his pushing her to marry sets off the plot.
- The Sultan ranting about how Jafar has been plotting against him, he breaks up Aladdin and Jasmine about to kiss. Neither of them seem bothered by it and go back embracing and making eyes at each other.
- When Iago's impersonating both Jasmine and a flamingo, another actual flamingo gets the goo-goo eyes for him, tongue hanging out and everything. After tricking Aladdin, he turns around mid-evil laugh to come face to face with aforementioned lovesmitten flamingo...
Iago: Ya got a problem, Pinky?! (kicks the flamingo over) Jerk.
- "How many times do I have to kill you, boy!?"
- The Ironic Echo when Jafar gets everything that's coming to him:
Aladdin: eeeeety-bitty living space.
- "But remember: Beeee yourself!"
- When Snake!Jafar has Aladdin in his coils, Iago tries to goad Jafar into crushing him and Genie comes along and nonchalantly whacks him.
"Squeeze him Jafar! Squeeze him like a... AWK!"
- "Jafar! Get a grip!" [GLOMP] "Ack! Good grip..."
- Jafar was described as "Señor Psychopath" by the Genie, who also briefly changes his face to Jafar's.
- The Sultan innocently addressing the scary man in the Obviously Evil costume as "my most trusted advisor".
- The above image.
Sure you can! You just go, (holds Aladdin's head and uses him like a puppet) "Geenee, I wish you twee!" Aladdin: (pushes Genie) I'm serious!
"Pst! Your line is 'I'm going to free the Genie'. Any time."
- All of Jafar's puns during his final battle with Aladdin.
Jafar: Ha ha, Princess! Your TIME IS UP! (to Jasmine, who's in an hourglass) Don't TOY with me! (to Abu, who's been turned into a toy monkey) Things are UNRAVELING fast now, boy! AH HAHAHAHA! (to Carpet, who's been unraveled) Get the POINT? (to Aladdin, when he's surrounded by swords) I'm just getting WARMED UP! (again to Aladdin, when he breathes fire)
- The look on Iago's face when he spots Aladdin trying to sneak up to the lamp.
- When Jasmine kisses Jafar, both Abu and Iago adopt identical expressions of shock and disgust. Aladdin is also squicked out.
- Iago's rant after the Cave of Wonders eats Gazeem.
- Iago suggesting Jafar marries the princess, and Jafar's reaction.
Wait a minute, wait a minute, Jafar! What if you
were the chump husband? Jafar: What?! Iago:
OK... OK, you marry the Princess, all right
?! And then, then you
become the Sultan! Jafar:
] Marry the shrew. I
become the Sultan. The idea has merit
) Yes, merit, yes! And then we drop [makes himself look plump like the Sultan
] "Papa-in-law" and [makes his shape petite
] the little woman off a cliff!
[divebombs off Jafar's staff
] YAAAAAAHHH!!! KER-SPLAT!!! [laughs
the way your foul
little mind works!
- Just before the exchange above, Jafar and Iago's simultaneous Squick reaction to the prospect of being beheaded. Given their dynamic for the majority of the film, seeing them on the same wavelength for just a quick moment is hilarious.
- Right after Aladdin frees the genie:
Genie: Quick! Quick, wish for something outrageous, say "I want the Nile." Wish for the Nile, try that.
Aladdin: Uh, I wish for the Nile!
Genie: NO WAY!! [laughs] Oh does that feel good!
- Possible bad Stealth Pun there; Aladdin got "denial," just like he wished!
- While fleeing the Cave of Wonders:
Abu! Abu, this is no time to panic! [sees they're flying straight into a wall] Start panicking!
- Aladdin/Jasmine: "They're after me! They're after YOU?"
- Also noteworthy is, after Aladdin frantically asks her, "Do you trust me?", Jasmine gives a hesitant, "...Yes??"
- Iago's Establishing Character Moment. Having spent his first few minutes on screen acting like a normal parrot, he breaks character when Gazeem goes to enter the Cave of Wonders;
Iago: Awk! The lamp! Awk! The lamp! [quietly, to Jafar] Geez! Where'd you dig this bozo up?
- In fact, anytime Iago suffers. Like when he's powering Jafar's clockwork contained-storm generator and gets pulled into the gears. When he finally is shot out he's without his feathers.
Iago: With all due respect, your rottenness, couldn't we wait for a real storm?
- During Aladdin's fight with Snake!Jafar, Genie becomes a cheer squad and cheers for Aladdin. Jafar tells him to shut up and Genie responds with this gem.
': Rick 'em, rack 'em, rock 'em, rake. Stick that sword into that snake! Jafar
: YOU STAY OUT OF THISSSSS!!! Genie:
) Jafar, Jafar, he's our man. If he can't do it, GREAT!
- "Hello, Aladdin. Nice to have you on the show. Can we call you Al? Or maybe just Din?"
- "Prince Ali" is outside the balcony on Carpet, desperately trying to describe how he can't possibly be the guy she met in the marketplace because he has "servants who go to the marketplace for my servants." Jasmine and Rajah turn to each other to share a look of pure "is this guy for real?" The way Jasmine purses her lips just seals the deal.Just look at it!◊
- When Jafar thinks he has the lamp after leaving Aladdin and Abu trapped in the Cave Of Wonders.
- Aladdin tricking Genie into getting them out of the cave without wasting his first wish. Especially funny is when Aladdin dismisses him and tells Abu that they'll have to find a way out themselves.
Genie: Excuse me? Are you lookin' at me? Did you rub my lamp? Did you wake me up? Did you bring me here? And all of a sudden, you're walkin' out on me?! I don't think so! NOT RIGHT NOW! YOU'RE GETTIN' YOUR WISHES, SO SIDDOWN!!!!!
- Later when they arrive at the oasis to discuss the wishes.
: Now about my three wishes? Genie
: Dost mine ears deceive me? Three? You are down by ONE, Boy! Aladdin
: Ah, no. I never actually wished
to get out of the Cave. Heh! You did that on your own. Genie
: (Jaw Drop
)...Well, I feel sheepish. (turns into a sheep)
Alright, you ba-aaa-d boy, but no more freebies. Aladdin
: Fair deal.
- The Genie vents about his lot in life, especially the overly-sarcastic way he does the "arms folded with head bobbing" gesture typically associated with genies.
- You have to admit, Iago getting his revenge on the poor old Sultan for years of unknowingly patronizing cracker feedings is pretty hilarious.
Sultan: Have a cracker, pretty Polly! [stuffs cracker down Iago's throat]
- "My lord, you sure have your way with dumb animals." Followed by Iago's reaction to that.
- Honestly, it looks like he's gonna THROW UP on Jafar more than a death glare, but it's still damn funny!
- Later, After Jafar has deposed the Sultan, who is now tied up and dressed as a Jester: And when Jafar raises his hand for Iago to stop, (on behalf of a begging Jasmine), Iago pauses...then shoves more crackers down the Sultan's throat one final time.
Iago: Puppet Ruler want a cracker? [stuffs cracker down the Sultan's throat] Here!, Here's your cracker! Shove em' all the way down your throat, have lots of crackers! [stuffs more crackers in his mouth]
Jasmine: Stop it! Jafar, leave him alone!
(Jafar holds out his hand to signal Iago to stop. Iago pauses...then stuffs more crackers down the Sultan's throat one last time.)
- When Genie lists his three rules when it comes to his three wishes, he briefly turns into a green, oozing zombie, complete with a hilarious (Peter Lorre-inspired) voice:
Genie: ARULENUMBAHTHREE! (turns into zombie) I can't bring people back from the dead... It's not a pretty picture, I DON'T LIKE DOING IT!!
- Aladdin's blink-and-you-miss-it reaction to this is priceless, too. He clutches his stomach and gags as if he's going to throw up.
- When Jasmine pretends to fall in love with Jafar so she can distract him long enough for Aladdin to get Genie's lamp, Jafar and Genie's reactions are priceless, especially Genie's.
- Once "Friend Like Me" is done, all the magical stuff the Genie conjures goes away, leaving only a beeping sign saying 'Applause'.
- Aladdin meets Jafar for the first time. All of it. Jafar's old man disguise, the Gross-Up Close-Up of his teeth ("You've heard of the golden rule, haven't you? Whoever has the gold makes the rules. HUUUUOOOOYYYYYEEEEE!!"), and the scene reveals that poor Iago has been stuffed under his cloak the entire time.
- On a more meta-note: Google Translate Sings: "A Whole New World" from Aladdin. Of particular note is the line "Via Hentai diamond skies".
- When it's revealed that "Prince Ali" has ninety-five white Persian monkeys, we cut to the captain and the guards doing a goofy little dance while singing "He's got the monkeys! Let's see the monkeys!"
- Jasmine confront Jafar just as he's sneaking out of his secret door, forcing him to try to conceal it throughout the whole conversation. Iago doesn't quite make it out:
Iago: (struggling in the door) "Jafar could you just..." (Jafar kicks Iago through the door crack) "OW THAT HURT!!"
- Iago's "How in the He- I mean, uh, RAWK!"
- Iago impersonating Jafar and Jasmine (with the actual Jafar and Jasmine voices coming out of his mouth). Bonus points for briefly looking like the two he's imitating. It's almost like Linda Larkin and Jonathan Freeman are actually coming from Gilbert Gottfried's mouth!
- The October 2015 Blu-Ray release has some never-before-heard outtakes from Robin Williams on it, complete with drawings of Genie acting them out, including one where he accidentally spills coffee on the script note . See it here before it probably gets taken down.
Robin: Whoa! It's everywhere! There's coffee everywhere. We'll take a brief break while we clean up.
- At the end, he even handwaves his usual humor style as Genie.
Robin: It's really wonderful, is I say it and they draw it! [laughs] We'll both be arrested!
- This, in the storyboards, is swiftly followed by Police-Genies appearing behind Genie.
Not since the dancing mushrooms
have we seen this much intensity.
- Alternate takes for the "Jafar, Jafar, he's our man" cheer
"Time for a Jafar cheer! Give me a B, give me a B, give me a B, B, B, give me a B, B, B, B, B! What's that spell?" (bbbbbbbbbb)
Cheerleader-Genies: "Push 'em back! Push 'em back! Ja-farther, Ja-farther!"
- And Genie's advice during the battle.
Genie: "Nonviolence, Al! Turn the other cheek!" (he turns his lower body around) "Matter of fact, turn both cheeks, and RUN!"
- The image and voice when Genie says, "The long contaiiiiiined..."
- "A Whole New World" is generally beautiful and romantic, but still contains some amusing sight gags, such as the startled bird and the pyramid guy who breaks the nose. Then, afterwards, Jasmine tripping up Aladdin by commenting, "It's a shame Abu had to miss this," and Aladdin falling for it hook, line and sinker before realizing he's been made.
- When Jafar declares that the Sultan and Jasmine will finally bow to him, the Sultan actually does briefly start to bow before stopping in a hurry when Jasmine states "We will never bow to you!"
- "Made you look!"
- Look at the bottom of the background that he pushes out of the way. Both the peg-bar registration and the scene number are animated onto it!
- Once their secret is out, Iago sets off immediately to pack their bags and leave the country for good for some far away land where they could start over, only for Jafar to start laughing like he just heard the best joke ever.