Guard: He's got a sword!
"He's got a weapon!" is the cry of panic made when someone who had appeared to be or make an empty threat shows, intentionally or otherwise, that he can back his threats up. He's not harmless; he has a weapon.
This cry is also used if someone has something that only looks like a weapon. Expect such people to become the targets of preemptive strikes before the mistake is noticed. People who truly have weapons don't get this treatment: they either dominate, or there will be a true Fight Scene
The exact cry tends to include the name of the weapon. "He's got a gun!" "He's got a bomb!"
Compare I've Got an X and I'm Not Afraid to Use It
. May have shades of Captain Obvious
; however, in Real Life
situations, it's safer for everyone in earshot for it to be announced as a warning.
May turn into Shoot Him, He Has a Wallet!
if he didn't have a weapon after all.
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- In the dub of the Memory World arc of Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yugi when Bakura materializes a Duel Disk. "He's got a Duel Disk!"
- Shows up in AKIRA at the beginning, when a cop yells that their suspect has a gun. Sadly, none of the other cops say "You idiot, we've ALL got guns!"
- Super Mario Bros.: "He's got a bob-omb!"
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi: "He's holding a thermal detonator!"
- It was used in Shrek 2 for comic effect, when Shrek and Donkey first encounter Puss in Boots:
"Shrek, look out! He's got a piece!"
- The Big Bus, a Disaster Movie spoof: early in the film, we see the driver in a bus driver bar, and there's a fight. One guy grabs a quart carton of milk and bashes the end off, threatening someone else with it. "Look out! He's got a milk carton!" The other guy grabs a candle and breaks the end off of it. "Look out, he's got a candle!"
- Crocodile Dundee:
"Mick, give him your wallet."
"He's got a knife."
Guard: Look out! He's got a sword!
Rasoul: You idiots! We've all got swords!
- Even funnier when they're panicking because it's a teeny, tiny MONKEY with the sword — that's three times his size.
- Santa With Muscles: "Look out! He's got a candy cane!"
- Wrongfully Accused: "He's got a leg!"
- In Lethal Weapon, Murtaugh suddenly notices that a man in the police station has pulled a gun. He immediately charges out to tackle him, only to discover that the madman waving a gun around is his new partner.
- In The Hurt Locker, when Sgt. James returns to the base after trying to avenge Beckham's death, he is stopped by the soldiers standing guard there.
Guard: Get on the ground!
James: I have a weapon!
Guard: (searching him) GUN!
James: (exasperated) Like I said...
- Spoofed at the end of The Naked Gun, when the villain is holding Jane hostage and is very visibly brandishing a semi-automatic weapon at Jane's head.
Jane: He's got a gun!
) ...I can see that.
- Also parodied in Not Another Teen Movie, with self-irony. To prove his "love" for her, Jake decides to sing on loudspeakers inside college: "She's got a gun... Janey Briggs' got a gun...". One of her classmates gets scared and screams: "She's got a gun!", so everybody except her starts running away. Cue the cops. (Youtube here)
- In Willow, from Madmartigan: "There's a... a peck here with an acorn pointed at me!"
- Used in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy during the final scene with the Vogon attack.
Vogon Soldier: He's got a towel. Run away.
- Making Money: "Look out, he's got a daisy!" To elaborate: The patrician has engaged in some questionable acts that will only go overlooked as long as he maintains his personal authority and dignity — which is also the only way the main character can hope to survive. Vetinari then engages in conversation with a clown, who in close range has a tendency to wet the converser via squirt-flower. Thus, "Look out, he's got a daisy!"
- The Fifth Elephant: Averted by Sam Vimes. When he is imprisoned by the dwarves, someone smuggles a single-shot crossbow into his cell. Vimes notes that if you want to help someone escape, you send them a key — sending someone a weapon will only get them killed via this trope, which is exactly what the sender had in mind.
Live Action TV
- Frasier episode "Ham Radio":
(Frasier, Roz, Niles, Bulldog, and Bulldog's dyslexic girlfriend Maxine are doing a radio play)
Maxine: Look out, he's got a nug!
- Garth Marenghis Darkplace episode "Skipper the Eyechild":
Thornton Reed: (complete monotone) Look out, he's got a stick.
- Police Squad!! episode "Rendezvous at Big Gulch (Terror in the Neighborhood)":
Jill: Look out, he's got a knife!
(Leo charges Drebin, who fends him off)
Jill: Look out, he's got a club!
(Rocky runs at Drebin but is punched in the face)
Jill: He's got a signed Picasso!
(Leo uses the Picasso as a shield but Drebin punches him in the stomach)
Jill: Look out, he's got herpes! He's got cold sores.
(Rocky runs at Drebin with his face forward, Drebin makes sure not to come too close)
- Blackadder III:
Prince Regent: He's got a bomb!
Blackadder: It's not a bomb, your Highness, it's a sponge.
Prince Regent: Oh. So it is. Well, get it out of here before it explodes.
- Oh my God, Uncle Phil, he's got a... business card!
- Used in Forbidden Broadway's spoof of Ragtime:
Sarah: I know! I'll ask the President of the United States for help! Yoohoo, Mr. President? My fiancee won't marry me, and I've got a son!
Aide: Look out, she's got a gun!
Sarah: No, no, I said I've got a son. A son.
- The Bible: The Complete Word of God (abridged), in the Tower of Babel scene: "Look out! He's got a picture of a bomb!" The picture goes off with a Written Sound Effect.
- The Lion in Winter:
John: He has a knife, a knife!
Eleanor of Aquitaine: Of course he has a knife! I have a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183 and we're all barbarians!
- While fighting the Robo-Pirates in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, one of the pirates will say this when you switch weapons.
- Splicers in BioShock may say "He's got a gun!" when they see you, even if you're holding your wrench.
- Justified: Splicers are insane and some of them have issues with perception that makes it a wonder that they can even perceive you.
- Not in so many words, but the guards' reaction to a female City Elf Warden getting her hands on a sword at the beginning of Dragon Age: Origins certainly gives this impression.
- When Mass Effect 3 has Udina pull a gun on a hostage, Shepard (or the Virmire Survivor) will yell "Gun".
- Played for laughs when battling Merasmus in Team Fortress 2. Soldier: "Everyone down! He's got a book!" "It's a book! He's going to read!"
- asdfmovie: Right in the first scene, one guy "steals" a baby's nose.
Man: Got your nose.
Police officer: *bursts through the door with a gun* "Look out, he's got a nose!"
- And a few episodes later...
Woman: What a cute little doggy.
Man: Careful honey, he's got a knife.
Dog (hiding said knife behind him): Wh-what? No, no I don't.
- Done in this short video titled Captain Obvious.
loud gunshots are heard