2009 horror movie spoof from one of the executive producers of Scary Movie
. Not made by Seltzer and Friedberg
, but with a somewhat similar style, if slightly (slightly) higher quality. Was released straight to video.
Stan Helsing parodies Van Helsing
, A Nightmare on Elm Street
, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
, Friday the 13th
, Childs Play
(but not Dracula
or any other vampire film oddly enough). The villains of these movies (except Van Helsing
) are planning to kill the last descendant/reincarnation of the
original Van Helsing and lure him and his friends out to a deserted movie studio lot to do it on Halloween.
It's mostly pretty bad, but there a few redeeming features
: a Leslie Nielsen cameo and Desi Lydic's endearingly ditzy performance as Mia, which belongs in a better movie.
This film provides examples of the following tropes:
- Brainless Beauty: Mia.
- Brainy Brunette: Nadine. Well, brainy compared to the blonde anyway.
- Brick Joke: The giant cockroach in the restroom.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: "Chief Spanks-a-lot" does this while watching Stan use the gas station bathroom through a peephole.
- Dumb Blonde: Mia.
- Genre Savvy: Stan. Justified by the fact he's a video store clerk (who even namechecks several movies while lampshading some of the film cliches) so he does reasonably possess a passing knowledge of all the (parodied) movie tropes the film consists of.
- Stealth Pun: Stan Helsing insists his name is not Van. The actor who plays Stan had a supporting role in the sitcom Reba, where he played... a guy named Van. Some people argue this is too funny to be a coincidence. Others argue that it's too smart to be intentional.
- The Cameo: A cross-dressing Leslie Nielsen!
- The Slacker: Stan.
- Too Soon: This was probably one of the last films made before Michael Jackson died and we get a brief Scary Movie style tasteless joke.