Fan Fic: Prinz Von Sommerhoffnung
Prinz von Sommerhoffnung by Warp Ligia Obscura (also available at SpaceBattles) is supposed to be an Alternate Universe Novelisation Mai-HiME fanfic. It's so alternate that the character names are different... It is best described as a Mega Crossover. It follows The Stations of the Canon/Broad Strokes without adhering tightly.Currently stands at eight chapters, but updates have been... very sporadic.
This fic contains examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: The hooks on Ywiu's ring-knuckledusters punch through flesh and bone easily.
- Acrophobic Bird: When the library basement floor breaks open, Ywiu doesn't fly her way out. Given narrator's justification immediately afterward.
- Actor Allusion: At one point, Su-qi-wu-la says Maximum Power, and later her summon uses the
Starlight BreakerMoonlight Fixer. Later in that same chapter, she is referred to as having 100 fuck buddies.
- Added Alliterative Appeal: "little lilac... loli"
- Aerith and Bob: So much.
- Black Best Friend: Spadotto and Veerasamy, though the latter is technically
- Broad Strokes: Name changes aside, when the first chapter ends with Sommerhoffnung NOT waking up in the middle of a school field with Dai-Ming, you know this is not going to be a faithful adaptation.
- But Not Too Foreign: Sommerhoffnung is half-
GermanGothofurtoan, quarter-Ch(o)inese and quarter- JapaneseElectopian, and there are others also similarly mixed.
- Celebrity Paradox: Acknowledged in-universe. Ken-ba-ne says "Any similarity to a
Get BackersReTrievers character are coincidental", to which Spadotto shoots back "No more than my similarities to a BleachWhitener character?"
- Christianity Is Catholic: Averted. "You must remember that, while Catholicism is indeed the denomination of the
FrenchRancaskan Church, the Church of ScotlandThaneland that the campus' chapel is subsumed under belongs to the Presbyterian subset of the Protestant denomination."
- Crack Pairing: Ymia and Eywon are Captain Ersatz of Reinforce Eins and Yuuno from Nanoha, so...
- Creator Provincialism: Possibly the only reason why the setting was moved to
- Curse Cut Short: '"I know you've heard this before, Som, but how do you live with," she pointed at Winterhandlung, "such a du..."' Fill in your own blanks as to whether it's meant to be dummkopf, dumbass/arse or something else!
- Deadpan Snarker: Ken-ba-ne is clearly trying to be this.
- Death Seeker: Sommerhoffnung. Implied in the sixth chapter when she seems disappointed that the Childless missed her, made explicit in the seventh.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Musterteklang is interpreted as being of this sort.
- Dramatis Personae: There's one in progress at the SpaceBattles thread.
- Eldritch Abomination: Subverted. Spadotto notes that the Childless, while Starfish Aliens, do not have the Brown Note effects commonly associated with Hateworkian Horrors.
- Establishing Character Moment: A few thus far -
- Sommerhoffnung's hair colour comment on the ferry marks her as Genre Savvy.
- Ywiu proves to be a foul-mouthed Action Girl early enough.
- Spadotto's self-discussion of the methods he would prefer to destroy the Childless with reveal that he's not Dumb Muscle.
- Ken-ba-ne's near-nonstop sass as a (attempted?) Deadpan Snarker.
- Must's refusal of help revealing his Don't You Dare Pity Me! attitude.
- Fun with Acronyms: "KOUTAISHI", the local replacement term for "HiME", stands for "Knowledgeable Operative Undercover Terminating Application Issue Servitude Hyper materIaliser". Whatever that means.
- Wedey stands for "Weaponised Enhanced Demolishing Evolutionary prototYpe".
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: In addition to Ywiu dropping Mandarin and Hokkien all over the place like the beng she is, we also have:
- Hand Cannon: Sommerhoffnung's revolvers are (modelled after) .44 Colt Anacondas.
- Hannibal Lecture: When Sommerhoffnung tries to do a What the Hell, Hero? in chapter seven, Ywiu and Romea shoot her down harshly.
- Happily Married: Ymia and Eywon.
- Hatedom: If the reviews on FF.Net are any indication, there are those who cannot accept the author's style.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: Ywiu's wrist-rings can shrink into knuckledusters and the "commas" are Absurdly Sharp Bladed hooks.
- Inertia Is a Harsh Mistress: Mentioned as a problem Ken-ba-ne experiences.
- Insane Troll Logic/Moon Logic Puzzle: Frequent and the reason why Viewers Are Geniuses is what it is here. For example, Ywiu's name.note
- In the Back: How Asuoui kills the gang leader.
- Istanbul Not Constantinople: The Mega Man Battle Network influence is largely visible from the altered country names, like Japan being called Electopia. Not all are from MMBN, though.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: "As You Know – and I wasn’t being facetious in emphasising those three words...."
- Lemony Narrator: Sometimes.
- Mind Screw: A series of seemingly-inexplicable images described in the first chapter. Word of God says he was trying to put the original OP into words.
- Sommerhoffnung's recalled conversation with Timo at the end of the second chapter. Supposedly a Mondegreen of the lyrics of "Mezame".
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: "a shadow resolved into a horrible monster that exposed more teeth than… than… than some family that cannot quite be recalled at the moment."
- Mugging the Monster: The gangsters who target Ywiu.
- Musical Assassin: Mei-ya-nuo-kou-qi's power.
- Mythology Gag: Sommerhoffnung's default outfit is based on that of Dark HiME Natsuki from the Mai-Otome manga.
- Never Bring A Knife To A Fistfight: Double subverted in Ywiu's fight with the gangsters. First subversion is that she uses her own bladed knuckledusters and some of the knife-using thugs manage to scratch her. Double subversion comes when some other thugs with metal poles tag in and she flies into an Unstoppable Rage, demolishing them and turning their weapons against them. Possibly a response to Singaporean incidents where thugs with metal poles fatally wounded innocents.
- No Conservation of Energy: Sommerhoffnung points out the sheer impracticality of energy-mass conversion, to which Ywiu mentions that their powers have Elemental Baggage and that she shouldn't be so concerned.
- Not Using the Z Word/Writing Around Trademarks: The fanfic. The author's efforts to avoid invoking the canonical names can get Narmful.
- OC Stand-in: This appears to be why everyone is a Captain Ersatz.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Hei-gu-la-shi being made to give up her powers. "Negotiating from such a position of weakness... is not."
- Offscreen Teleportation: Invoked/Parodied. "If no one's observing you, you can get to places faster than you should be able to, is it not said…?" Also done when Spadotto shows up near the end of the Childless fight in the sixth chapter.
- Oh Crap!: He-mu-la has one in the seventh chapter. What exactly he's shitting bricks about is currently unclear. He has another in the eighth when Wedey activates her Blade Below the Shoulder.
- Out of the Inferno: Done by Ywiu in the fifth chapter.
- Patchwork Kids: Nyarsrof has Ymia and Eywon's cowlicks, as well as Eywon's hair and eye colours. "Sommerhoffnung had the feeling that things did not work that way, but who was she to question it?"
- Poirot Speak: Pretty much everyone identified as having foreign blood will lapse into their mother tongue during an English sentence at least once, if not outright use full sentences.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Used by Spadotto when speaking to the mystery viewer, who throws it back at him promptly.
- Quip to Black:"Sommerhoffnung, we believe we've told you before to call us by our first names," Ymia said. "Calling us Herr und Frau Reyrcs makes us feel like... like..."
"Yes, dear?" Eywon asked.
"Like dusty old tomes."
The couple burst into raucous laughter at this, along with Nyarsrof and the twins.
Sommerhoffnung had the odd feeling that the Reyrcses had forgotten to do something. Something about eyewear that she just could not pin down.
- Retcon: The Nanoha parody was originally called Mundane Girl Tonedeaf Gigaha, but was changed to Empath Girl after the author used the latter in another, unconnected work of his.
- Retired Badass: Asuoui's proficiency with a knife, combined with some self-admittedly loose-tongued comments, suggest that he once carried out wetwork for Mother Sharo. Whether he served in GRU, KGB-now-FSB, Spetznaz or something else has not been revealed.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Done at the end of the eighth chapter, though the culprit has not been revealed yet.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Prebr, pretty damn hard. Kan-za-ji usually shies away from contractions too.
- Shout-Out: Many. The tagline doesn't contain "Reference-filled" for nothing. Whether you recognise the better-hidden of them at first glance, though... A (currently) cursory examination will reveal:
- "Envy is a nasty little bunch of things. Can't be launched without Real Impact and the usage of Swordsmaster takes away from your evasive ability." As well as more glaring invocations of DMC moves.
- "It's a Bridget."
- "Help me, Hei-gu-la-shi! You're my only hope."
- "Fuck it! We'll do it live!"
- Empire Minds
- "Let's Move Zig for Great Justice."
- "Releasing control arts restriction levels...."
- Sommerhoffnung sings a few lines from Emerald Sword before naming her Parent Draysoph, and names her guns U3 and Airmaker.
- Noisy Valley
- In the fourth chapter, Sommerhoffnung quotes Friedrich Nietzsche at length.
- Very Real Competition
- PS^2N plays Dusk Horizon from the Very Real soundtrack.
- "Wei he zhao ji?"note .... "Don't so serious!" .... "Will you be wanting the sundae, maam?" .... “Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! We’re tonight’s… entertainment!”.... Very poor choice of words, [she was] afraid .... "Not very subtle. I most certainly hope not."
- No More
- Seizure-afflicted Shrubberies
- Tactical Dreadnought, complete with trademark Out of the Inferno. Also, Battlenail 1,600,000,000note
- ".... wear garish pointy orange shades with no apparent frames.... Kamina and
- “You want a piece of m-”
- Fabricati Diem Pvnc expression
- “You want it?”
- “Oh-ho-ho! This is delicious!” ... “Yes! Yes!”
- Kan-za-ji said as he shifted a pair of unfortunately non-METALlic BOXES.
- "Are you so sure of your success, or will you say 'damnit, he got me' when it falls apart?"
- “Is this some Tactical Espionage Action you’re involved in....?”
- "Only a fool trusts..."
- Susanoo's beatdown of the sixth chapter's Childless riffs on the game version of Dio Brando's ZA WARUDO combo.
Giga Drill Starlight Breakernote Pico Wrench Moonlight Fixer
- 'come out of gorram nowhere'
- "Let's have a go at it!"
- "I am going to kill them and kill them and kill them."
- "Does he still Remembah Me?"
- Ken-ba-ne likes the term nineball.
- "Take it easy!"
- "To win, you must fight with heart and brains and your entire being!"
- "I am a star! And what do stars do? Shine! Shine shine shine shine shine....!"
- Must finishes off his first Childless with a Potemkin Buster.
- "Ooo what'cha say?"
- "Treasure Type O"
- ".... give them nothing, but take from them everything?"
- "There is no such thing as overkill, only open fire and I need to reload?"
- "We'll show you some proper, ah, use of weapons!"
- "but we are... outside context, I think you can say?"
- Are you dense? What, are you retarded? Who the hell do you think you are?
- ".... Sometimes the world dun like us to be a man, do the right thing."
- "Finish him!"
- "Because... of me? This... isn't about the Kelly Clarkson song right?"
- "Daughter, I am disappoint"
- 'Monster!' 'Beautiful monster... wait, a monster? T-that's so mean. That's so mean, Su-zu-shi-luo, that's so mean'
- "Five years ago, Shou-qin Enterprises faced insolvency… and you all just fucking watched. Tomorrow… There will be no shortage of volunteers, no shortage of loyal shareholders. We know you understand."
- The emcee said something about the next performance, something about the band Abismal Dusk?
- "Would you kindly move?"
- "Alright, chums, let's do this... GOHROY… WESKINS!" For added irony, they're running away from danger.
- "I thought 'What?' when they told me the fate of the world and they were kind enough to not ask me if I spoke Kinglish."
- "Let's face it, this not the worst thing you caught me doing, yah?"
- Having the feeling that something was off, Hei-gu-la-shi looked at her, then at Rondeng, then back at her, before looking back to Rondeng again. She had the feeling that something was off and it was certainly not just the fact that Wedey was not her.
- "Return to your abode and be a family person..."
- "Why waitest we upon stale custom for consummation?"
- Sincerity Mode: When Sommerhoffnung shoots a District Ten Man In Black, Ywiu claps and assures her that she was being genuinely appreciative. Also done when [[spoiler: Ywiu agrees with Romea's Hannibal Lecture against Sommerhoffnung.
- Single-Stroke Battle: Ken-ba-ne kills his first Childless this way.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Ywiu, which is pretty much par the course for Singaporean beng.
- Slasher Smile: "Su-zu-shi-luo screamed, a disturbingly self-satisfied shit-eating grin stretching her facial muscles".
- Small Girl, Big Gun: Sommerhoffnung isn't exactly small, but U3 and Airmaker are modelled after Colt Anacondas.
- Sophisticated as Hell: The gang leader in the seventh chapter. Broken English, more broken English, The Order of the Stick reference, Poirot Spe- What?
- Left the Background Music On: Played with. Something plays Fitting Music in-universe at appropriate times, with characters aware of this.
- Stealth Pun: Shortly after He-mu-la mentioned "bad girl", Sommerhoffnung hums a bit of "Pleather for Breakfast", the theme of Bad Girl from No More Heroes.
- STYLISTICSUCK: The usage of Singaporean pidgin English, aka Singlish, by Ywiu is intentional and apparently part of the Hatedom's beef.
- Surprisingly Good English: If Ywiu's really serious about something, she drops into proper Queen's English.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Sommerhoffnung says this in Gratuitous German in the fourth chapter. Ywiu does this in the seventh in Spanish.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Asuoui kills the gang leader with a spine-stab, throat stab-and-slash, then heart-stab. Might not be instant death stab, but almost all muggles will go to the morgue after that. He then stabs the victim a few more times so that it looks more random and less "professional, if anyone experienced sees they might be suspicious." Might even be Cruel and Unusual Death.
- This Cannot Be!: Used word-for-word by He-mu-la after Hei-gu-la-shi chooses to give up her powers rather than let Rondeng die.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Ymia and Eywon.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Parodied. Ywiu tells Sommerhoffnung that she could do this, but the latter does not buy its possibility.
- Viewers Are Geniuses: How many of the more disguised/subtle Shout Outs will the average reader recognise? Lampshade Hung in One of Us fashion at the end of the fifth chapter via author's notes.
- Vigilante Man: Parodied with the in-universe series Doghunter.
- Waxing Lyrical: When Sommerhoffnung names Draysoph and her guns, she sings lyrics from the relevant bands. The mystery speaker in chapter four sings Don't Say A Word from
Sonata ArcticaConcerto Sahara when leaving Spadotto.
- What Could Have Been: Author's notes for chapter eight mention that Nyarsrof was meant to have a smaller role and Ymia and Eywon were not supposed to exist.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Lampshade Hung at the start of the fifth chapter, where Spadotto attempts to think of how best to defeat the Childless but notes that all he has... is a hammer.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Asuoui asks Ywiu why she did not start the fight against the gangsters with torching them. Her reply fails to convince even herself.