Fanfic: Prospit Nights
"TO BEGIN AT THE END, WE MUST END AT THE BEGINNING!"Inspired by Atlanta Nights, Prospit Nights is a collaborative effort by the MS Paint Adventures forums that attempted to create the best, worst badfic of all time. As with Atlanta Nights, each of the writers had to write a chapter using only a brief chapter and character outline without talking about their chapter with anyone else, leading to a nonsensical and convoluted plot that crosses over with everything from BioShock to Sam & Max.The "story" (such that it is), follows four kids; Trudy Tavis, Travis Trudy, Alex Alexson, and Vmsdfx Rewoi, as they stumble through a SBURB session that has fallen under seige by a malevolent entity known as Seigneur Français. But could the mysterious troll known as Reno Blight truly be behind everything? Hell if I know.The project was originally concieved by Edrobot (of Jake Englishs Mysterious Theater Of Scientific Romance From The Year 3000 fame), though BlackHolePA took over about halfway through.You can read it on AO 3 here, and you can read the google docs version here.
— Andrew Hussie
Tropes that can be found in this work include
- Arc Words: "To begin at the end, WE MUST END AT THE BEGINNING!"
- A Wizard Did It: In Chapter 11, it's revealed that AT LEAST one chapter worth of inconsistencies and stupidity is because Vyro has a draft copy of the book, and he's writing bullshit to mess with people
- Author Appeal: There's a few shout-outs to Grant Morrison, mostly because Edrobot (who wrote most of the outline) is a huge fan of his.
- Breakout Character: Seigneur Français was originally an imaginary joke character from Alabaster: The Doomed Session, who Edrobot got permission to use.
- Cliff Hanger: "and no one knows if they survived. :( Keep reading to find out."
- Crossover between Homestuck, L.A. Noire, Halo, Mass Effect, BioShock, Bio Shock Infinite, Red Dead Redemption, Doom Patrol, Get Smart, Dead Poets Society, and Final Fantasy XIII-2.
- Dragon with an Agenda: The semifinal chapter reveals that Caius Ballad was seeking to claim the Iblis Trigger. But then he gets shot to death by Blasto.
- Everyone Calls Him The Evil Father From Dead Poets Society.
- Also The Villain From Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is not referred to as anything else.
- Featureless Plane of Disembodied Dialogue: All the time.
- Fantastic Racism: Pops up here and there. Overcoming prejudice against titans is basically the plot of Chapter 4.
- For the Evulz: Signeur Francais' story-warping agent Vyro completely changes Trudy's world, helps Conroy Duex send Travis to Colombia, creates an evil corporation, and turns the ending into a shitty CYOA. Why? Because he can.
- Parody Sue: Trudy Travis. An Albino, Half-Japanese girl with mysterious powers that seem to change every chapter.
- Rummage Sale Reject: Lillith and Trudy are described like this in chapter 11.
Targeting Computer: Bruce! You've switched off your targeting computer!Troll Bruce Campbell: Yes I know. I did that because I'm going to use the force to blow it up as a refrence to start wars
- Trudy's land is "The Land of Ebony and Darkness", while Travis' Land is "The Land of Blood And Bananas".
- In the first epilogue's dialogue between Andrew Hussie and The Villain From Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, dialogue was cribbed from Waiting for Godot, Paprika, and Mystery Men.
- A Luchador named Rob Liefeld is blamed for having invented Youngbloods' Disease
- The big twists at the end of Bioshock and Bio Shock Infinite are parodied, but in ways so outlandish that you'd be forgiven in thinking otherwise.
- Travis is named after Travis Tea, the alleged author of Atlanta Nights.
- Travis' speech at the end is a variation of the Unlimited Blade Works chant
- Invoked in a later chapter:
- Song Fic: Chapter 3 dips into this with lyrics from "„The End“ from My Chemical Romance“."
- Spoiler Title: Double subverted with the final chapter, "THIS TITLE HAS SPOILERS MAKING IT MORE AERODYNAMIC ALSO SEIGNUR FRANCIES DIES"
- Take That:Targeting Computer: But bruce! Star wasr is just a movie its not real! The force is just made up bullshit like Unicorns, the Loch Ness Monster, and Tea Party.
- Time Paradox: Cole Phelps becomes John Marston, who becomes Master Chief, who becomes Booker DeWitt, who becomes Zachary Comstock, who then goes back to being Master Chief as part of a complicated time loop. And yet somehow later Cole, John, Booker and Chief are all fighting alongside each other in later chapters without so much as a mention of this.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: Vyro directly messes with the readers by making the book unbearably stupid, especially in the second epilogue.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Chole Phelps dies at least 5 different times in the same chapter.
- Unusual Chapter Numbers: Chapter 15 is titled "Chapter 42" and chapter 20 is titled "Chapter 22".
- Wacky Wayside Tribe: The Men From N.O.W.H.E.R.E. kidnap Travis at one point, and even (seemingly) kill Seigneur Français. But by the end of the chapter they've all but vanished in a Puff of Logic.