Eugenesis (n.) The quality or condition of having strong reproductive powers; generation with full reproductive fertility between different species or races, specifically between hybrids of the first generation.Eugenesis
is a Transformers
fanfic written by James Roberts. Yes, that James Roberts
It is the year 2012, and the war between the Autobots and Decepticons is at a standstill, both sides poised for a big push. But outside the plotting and schemes of the Cybertronian forces, there are others with their own dark designs for the children of Primus, as elements of the Transformers' past long since forgotten return for their revenge.
One of the most well-known Transformers fan-fics out there, Eugenesis is a much darker and more cerebral view of everyone's favourite robots in disguise, and also very, very long
. It's also not for the feint of heart, with some very grim and graphic sequences, but it isn't a mindless gore-fest. It... well, it might just be best to read the thing itself.It's also part of the Shared Universe
produced by the group TMUK.
Can be found here
It also has a short (very
short) follow-up named Telefunken
which is included here for completeness' sake.
This Transformers fanfic contains examples of:
Telefunken contains examples of:
- Bad Future: As bad as it gets. The Autobots have turned into fascists, and the Decepticons have turned into Unicron-worshippers.
- Blatant Lies: Rodimus Prime is in fine health.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The Unnamed Autobot notices the turrets of Iacon face inward. Star Saber's reaction? Declare him an anarchist.
- Doing In the Wizard: What Autobot High Command and its theoscientists and timeliners are doing, along with everyone else, so that the "One True Origin" of the Cybertronian race is basically derided.
- Fake Memories: The Neogens were given these as a survival mechanism. Apparently one of them was given every fake memory possible. The Unnamed Autobot can't remember what it was. Kip, or Kap, he thinks.
- Newborns have these as well. The Autobots have improved on Prime Nova's old ideas. The new Neogens have brilliantly crafted false pasts of incredible depth and complexity. Such Neogens as Tarantulus.
- Foreshadowing: The Unnamed Autobot mentions rumours of scientists huddled over their work muttering about "''Maximised'' speed, ''maximised'' efficiency", and that one Newborn who realised what he was took off and started a new sect, with a name based on that phrase...
- It's All About Me: The least of Star Saber's problems. Even when the other Autobots are worried about a possible resurgence of Unicron, Star Saber is annoyed they're putting their faith in prophecy, rather than him.
- Oh, Crap: The final line mentions that, thanks to Unicron influencing the Matrix, the Matrix Flame is burning black.
- Slowly Slipping Into Evil: A lot of Autobots who are still alive are thuggish or threatening to their own people.
- Start My Own: Whether intentionally or not, Ultra Magnus has managed to create a small cult of Quintesson worshippers, thanks to what he learned on Aquaria.
- Start of Darkness: For Tarantulas.
- The Bus Came Back: The Unnamed Autobot is from Aspects of Evil, a short storyline from the tail-end of The Transformers. This story is the framing device for that story.
- Un-Person: Several Autobots protested against one of Star Saber's acts, and mysteriously "vanished".
- Wham Line: "What's his name again?" "Tarantulas."