Ensemble Darkhorse: Sonic the Hedgehog
Due to the nature of this series Sonic the Hedgehog has many characters that can be considered Ensemble Darkhorse by different sorts of fans.
- Fang the Sniper (known as Nack the Weasel in the U.S.) was a recurring character in the Sonic franchise between the years of 1994 and 1998 and has many fans who want him to make an appearance in anything. Some of these fans got their wish when he cameoed on a wanted poster in Sonic Generations.
- All of the Chaotix are this, especially after Sonic Heroes revamped them into a trio of screwball, Crazy Awesome detectives. Espio especially. After all, he is a no-nonsense ninja and the Only Sane Man of the trio.
- Though they are controversial characters among the fanbase due to debuting in the infamous Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Silver the Hedgehog and Mephiles the Dark have their share of fans. Silver, after his boss fight in Sonic Generations proved to be actually fun and also do to the Archie comics featuring his as a major character. Mephiles who while his plans are so ridiculously complex that they should not work, fans actually consider him a pretty cool villain. This could be attributed to actually killing Sonic.
- E-123 Omega, especially when he became an Expy of HK-47 (see below).
- There's also Jet the Hawk and the Babylon Rogues who have a sizable fanbase.
- E-102 Gamma, extraordinaire, is notable as one of the few faces in this series not to attract bile from the fanbase. His Heroic Sacrifice (which stuck, not counting E-102r "Chaos" Gamma in Battle) and the nature of his existence in general most likely helped.
- Tikal and Shade, the female echidnas who each have a pretty big fanbase considering how little they've been in the games. Tikal actually managed to defeat Dr. Eggman in Sonic Wiki's Character Tournament.
- Orbot (aka "Ergo") from Sonic Unleashed. His Scratch and Grounder-esque dynamic with Cubot in Colors further cements this.
- In another corner of the fandom, a great deal of prominence has been given to Honey the Cat, an extraordinarily detailed character who was Dummied Out of Sonic the Fighters. This may have motivated Sega's decision to promote her to playable in the 2012 Xbox Live Arcade & Play Station Network Updated Re-release.
- Tiara has her fair share of fame despite never being properly released. Tiara's game (Sonic X-Treme) was infamously canceled.
- In addition you'll often find a strong fanbase of particular alternate media characters, many of which urging for them to appear in the games canon. Princess Sally Acorn has perhaps one of the most notable fanbases even compared to some games characters (even if it extends to Base Breaker status) with Cosmo and Bunnie Rabbot also worth special mentioning.