Film: Sonic the Hedgehog
An untitled Sonic the Hedgehog film project is currently in production at Columbia Pictures. The film was first hinted in December 2013, when Sony Pictures registered three domain names related to a potential film based on the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. The project was officially announced by Sony in June of the following year. It is expected to be a live-action/CGI hybrid film and will be produced by Neal H. Moritz, of The Fast and the Furious fame, with much of the animation done by Sega's own Marza Animation Planet studio. The screenplay will be written by Upright Citzens Brigade alumni Evan Susser and Van Robichaux.As the film is in pre-production, a release date has not been laid out, the screenplay is still in writing stage and a plot is yet to be determined.Not to be confused with Sonic The Hedgehog The Movie.
This film provides examples of:
- Darker and Edgier: The Tracking Board supposedly claims that this film will get that treatment, although a plot hasn't been written yet.
- Co-writer Van Robichaux hinted on Facebook that Sony was aiming for a PG-13 rating.
- Human-Focused Adaptation: Questionable, though possible thanks to the film having been confirmed to have live-action sequences.
- Irony: Fans couldn't resist pointing this out when it came to Sega allowing a studio owned by who was once one of their biggest rivals in the video game console market to co-produce the movie with them.
- Live-Action Adaptation: Expected to be this and mixed with CGI.