SegaSonic the Hedgehog
is Sonic the Hedgehog
's first Arcade Game
(not counting his appearance as an inanimate object in Rad Mobile
), released in 1993. 1 to 3 players can choose between Sonic and his friends, Ray and Mighty, to escape from Eggman's Island while the doctor sends all sorts of traps to run over them. Character movement was controlled with trackballs.
The objective of each level is to get away from whatever is chasing you while dodging thematic obstacles and trying to collect as much rings as possible since they recover HP, give you a health bonus if you collect more than 50% of them and are also the only things that increase the score.
This is also the first Sonic game (alongside Sonic CD
) to have voice acting and dialogue for the characters.
This game contains examples of:
- Advancing Wall of Doom: The very first thing chasing the heroes during gameplay.
- Alliterative Name: All level names, except for Eggman's Tower.
- Big Fancy Castle: Trap Tower and Eggman Tower
- Boss Battle: Just one, in Landslide Limbo - and it's a hard one!
- Bottomless Pits: They surround the heroes most of the time. If you run into them, you usually have a chance to turn to the other side before falling for real.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Ray the Flying Squirrel, this is to date the only game he has appeared in as a playable character. Lampshaded in Sonic Generations, where he and Mighty appear on a missing poster. And speaking of Mighty, we haven't seen him in a game (though he has been in the comics once in a while) since Knuckles Chaotix...
- Death Mountain: Landslide Limbo
- Disney Villain Death: Eggman falling into the ocean in The Stinger, of course he's not gone for good, as he points out while doing so.
- Dummied Out: Sprites of Robotnik as he appeared in the American SatAM cartoon are buried in the game's code, suggesting the possibility of a western release that, sadly, never came to be.
- Escape Sequence: The whole game.
- Evil Laugh: Dr. Eggman does this all the time. And it's not his usual "hohohohoho".
- Game Over Man: Dr. Eggman.
- Gotta Catch Them All: You can recover some health if you beat a level with 50% or more of it's rings.
- Hit Points: If they reach zero, the character dies. Rings in this game only recover a bit of the health bar.
- Lethal Lava Land: Volcanic Vault
- Indy Escape: A giant boulder appears at least twice.
- Nonstandard Game Over: Failed to escape from Eggman's Tower? Then there are no continues, my friend.
- Noob Cave: The first area. You can't even die in it.
- Oh Crap: The trio's expressions clearly read this as Eggman's vehicle closes in on them in the intro.
- Power Trio: Sonic, Ray and Mighty.
- Shifting Sand Land: Desert Dodge
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: Icy Isle
- Super Drowning Skills: Averted.
- The Many Deaths of You: The characters have various hurt/killed animations.
- Timed Mission: The end of the final level.
- Under the Sea: Wild Water Ways
- Villain Exit Stage Left: Upon finally reaching Dr. Eggman, he just sets the island to explode and runs away.
- What Could Have Been: Dr. Eggman's cutscene sprites were to be replaced with Sat AM's Ivo Robotnik for a potential western localization, but were Dummied Out when that didn't materialize.
- Winged Soul Flies Off at Death: Upon running out of HP.