open/close all folders
Riku is the story's protagonist and a high-school student who lives with his father (absent for most of the story) and stepmother, Shizuru. He was in love with Shizuru's younger sister, Amane, but she is presumed to have died two years ago in a fire at Kazama Hospital. He receives a text message from her phone address and goes to the place of her death, providing the setting for the start of the series.After sustaining, near start of the series, a fatal wound from a Kanshuu, Neene turns Riku into a special Kanshuu that can retain his own consciousness as long as he has a Jinki.
- Zero-Approval Gambit: He's done a few. All justified. By having the people's hatred focused on him, his allies can focus on saving the world.
- Affectionate Nick Name: He is called "Ricchan" by his family.
- Clara and Joe call him "Rikkun/Rick".
- The Atoner: After Neene's death and the memory trip, he seeks to atone for his lies.
- Bifurcated Weapon: Part of his sword detaches into a smaller dagger after he gains a second Jinki core.
- Big Sister Attraction: He was in love with Amane, his step-aunt, whom he considered as an older sister.
- Cool Sword: Chainsaw sword... with attachable baton. At the end of the series, he gets a laser one to replace it.
- Consummate Liar: He considers himself to be a great liar.
- Chainsaw Good: A feature of his sword.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Dear sweet lord does he go through a lot! It even takes a Zero-Approval Gambit to get Rena's "memories" back and restore her. He's earned his Tears of Joy when it's all over.
- Facial Markings: When transformed.
- The Glasses Come Off: When transformed. A Justified Trope, as the Jinki transformation corrects his vision. Upon gaining Nanami's Jinki core, the effect becomes permanent even when the Jinki cores aren't active, eliminating his need for glasses entirely.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Several, all justifed.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Repeatedly.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: Chainsaw Sword. Best weapon ever.
- Locked into Strangeness: After getting his second Jinki core his hair stays white.
- Missing Mom: His real mother died when he was a young child.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Let's just summarize this entry by saying that the world is not kind to Riku... Not at all.
- Not So Different: From Shirou Karasawa.
- Only Mostly Dead: It's amazing how many times he's "died" only to show up again later.
- Papa Wolf: Don't mess with Neene! He not only sees her as his daughter, but he treats her as such, and he's extremely protective of her. Whatever flaws he may have, he's the one only one in the entire story to treat a coffin princess properly, like a human being, and actually care for her openly.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: His hair turns completely white save for two strands of hair that turn red.
- Becomes permanent after getting his second Jinki core.
- Slut-Shaming: On Sawako. Justified.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Or rather, the alias he earned through infamy on the net. Earliest translations rendered it as the unaltered romanization "Suraga." Another came up with "Slager." And yet another interpreted it as a transliteration of the word "Slugger," which may be the most appropriate due to his fighting style when he first received his Jinki.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Only when he transforms.
- Superpowered Evil Side: When he was infected.
- Super Senses: Part of the C.A.G.E Package
- Take My Hand: Four times, all beautifully done.
- The Tell: He has a habit of licking his lips a little when he lies. For obvious reasons, he gets periodic close-ups on his mouth.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Rena, obviously.
- Unstoppable Rage: When he gets pissed, he's almost unstoppable.
Rena Arisugawa Ootori
A young Jinki user who is depicted as a quiet and serious person focused on her job, who frequently takes the lead when fighting Kanshus. After Youhei's death, she becomes Riku's partner, whom she appears to have become attracted to, after their meeting with the Source of Infection. She is a Lost Rebound victim; her entire family was killed in Hatsumi Island during the original infection and became Kamogari.
- Abusive Parents: The Ootori family, her biological family, planned to kill her and make her a Kyuuki/Coffin Princess. She was harshly trained and even stripped off her birth name, only to be named "Mitama" (Holy Spirit). Her mother and grandmother were insistent on it, only her father seemed to be against it.
- Affectionate Nick Name: Clara refers to her as "Alice-san"/Miss Alice. It's based on her surname Arisugawa.
- Action Girl: She kicks the most ass in the series
- A-Cup Angst: Mercilessly reminded by everyone, amusingly enough she is the resident Ms. Fanservice.
- Chainsaw Good: A feature of her chakrams
- Creepy Child: Given all the abuse and the horrible situation she was dealing with it doesn't come as a surprise.
- Facial Markings: When transformed.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: Ryuusei Takao used to be her only friend.
- The Glasses Come Off: When Transformed.
- Happily Adopted: By her "master" Shizuku Arisugawa.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Repeatedly with Riku. She vehemently denies having any sort of romantic inclination towards him. At least at first.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After recalling her lost memories.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She resolves to save Neene/Amane for Riku, as she loves Riku and Neene and considers them to be her family. Even though that would mean that she has to die and become a Kyuuki.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon and she wears Impossibly Cool Clothes
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She's a "Lost Rebound", considering her whole island was wiped out
- Laughing Mad: When her family is killed and she is freed of her deadly fate.
- Meganekko: Wears a pair of glasses as a diguise.
- Ms. Fanservice: A lot of scenes have her showing up as this.
- Only Mostly Dead: In the final battle, she sacrifices herself to stop the cocoon, and gets torn to pieces. Chapter 97 is Riku hunting the world to get her "memories" back so she can be put back together. He succeeds.
- Raised by Grandparents: After losing her memories she is taken in and raised by Shizuku Arisugawa, who becomes her adoptive grandmother.
- Rapunzel Hair: When she lets her hair down.
- Stern Teacher: To Riku
- Stripperiffic: Her battle outfit, as Lampshaded by Nanami.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: When she uses her Jinki powers her eyes turn gold. Now that she is a Kyuuki it's possible that they might be permanent gold. Just like Riku.
- Super Senses: Part of the C.A.G.E Package
- Take My Hand: To Riku, while he's Heroic B.S.O.D.. He returns the favor.
- Tsundere: Towards Riku initially.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Riku, obviously.
- When She Smiles: Riku hates it, because at first her smiles are full of sadness.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Rena wears short shorts!
Neene was hatched from a cocoon at the start of the story, and grows at a rapid rate, experiencing a growth spurt occurring each time she uses her powers in a Kanshuu fight. A mysterious entity who has an uncanny resemblance to Riku's dead aunt Amane. Neene recognizes Riku as her "papa" and later Rena as her "mama".As the series progresses, she demonstrates various powers, such as turning Riku into a Kanshuu after he is wounded in a fight and creating a giant ball of light that disintegrates anything inside it. She is eventually revealed to be a Kyuuki/Coffin Princess, a queen Kanshuu who receives the memories stolen by other "drone" Kanshu, and she grows as she absorbs more memories.
- The Cutie
- Daddy's Girl: Neene. Played for laughs. Later also Mommy's Girl with Rena.
- Famous Last Words: "Liar".
- Happily Adopted: By Riku, who becomes her papa. She later "adopts" Rena as her mama.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Neene sacrifices herself to stop rampaging Ende, and was narrowly saved by Amane. Made more poignant with her calling Riku a liar, while it is clear that he has begun to sincerely care for Neene, not just as Replacement Goldfish for Amane.
- Identical Stranger: She strongly resembles Amane, prompting people to think that she must be Amane's daughter or at least a close relative. The truth is that her nature as a Kyuuki means that she is actually Amane, or more exactly that she will become Amane.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Neene grows faster than a normal child. She ages as she absorbs memories, otherwise her growth rate is akin to that of a normal human.
- Replacement Goldfish: Takao tells Riku that if he raises Neene she'll grow up to become Amane. But as the story advances Riku begins to care for Neene as just herself, "his daughter", and not as a replacement for Amane.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie
- She Is All Grown Up: After a three months Time Skip after her supposed death she appears to have grown older, looking the same age as Amane, in fact it may be because Amane's ego has woken up.
- Shipper on Deck: Riku is her papa and Rena is her mama.
- Sprouting Ears: Neene does this at crucial moments. Normally they are also present, but closed.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes
- Token Mini-Moe: When she's a child.
- Younger than She Looks: She is born looking already like an almost two years old child. And as the story advances she keeps growing older, even though she should only be a few weeks old.
The main antagonist for the first half of the series, he was known as the Source of Infection that creates and controlled the Kanshuu. Shirou is the son of the elder Tokiji, who lived with his mother after a court case drove them away. When his mother died, he went to see his father but was denied the privilege. That day he met Sayoko Tokiji, who showed him kindness, and thus he fell in love with her. Since that time, he has also sworn to destroy his father, the head of Tokiji and worked his way into the company.
- Affably Evil: He's pretty polite and only wanted Ende back, minus the whole Kanshuu spreading, killing people thing.
- The Atoner: In his final moments...
- Because You Were Nice to Me: He fell in love with Sayoko when they met each other as children since she was kind to him. After meeting again as adults he fell in love with her again.
- Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend: He is the man that Sawako was enganged to.
- Big Bad: He is the "Source of Infection", meaning that he is the one who creates the "Kanshuus".
- Body Horror: What his true form looked like after his last fight with Takao, it was not pretty.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: He's a monster early on.
- Bastard Bastard: He is the illegitimate son of a powerful rich man the Tokiji patriarch. He used to be leaning more towards the Heroic Bastard side of illegitimacy, but it all changed after his Start of Darkness.
- Incest Is Relative: Sayoko and Sawako are his father's grandchildren... Which means that they are his nieces...
- Intergenerational Friendship: Had a friendly relationship with Takao. Shirou was one of the few to be nice to him and Julie. He relied on Takao and trusted him a great deal. The boy's "betrayal" hurt Shirou enormously and he would later "get even" with him.
- Love Makes You Evil: His love for Sayoko/Ende and his desire for revenge are his main motivations.
- Revenge Before Reason: He wants to avenge Sayoko. Plus his original purpose was to get even with his father for discarding his mother and himself.
- Start of Darkness: The Hatsumi Island incident.
- We Used to Be Friends: He used to be friends with Ryuusei Takao.
- Wicked Cultured: Carries this appeal.
- Heel–Face Turn: She later works with FLAG and Riku. She also makes it possible for the Lost Rebound victims to recover.
- Replacement Goldfish: She is after all a Kyuuki, she is the replacement for Sayoko.
- Rapunzel Hair: Only Julie's was longer among the Kyuuki.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: As a Coffin Princess.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards her master. His death leaves her struggling to find an identity for herself until the very end.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
KanshuuA type of new creature that devours memories, the Kanshu are made through a virus which can travel through electromagnetic waves, and can also infect through Television, radio, and speakers. The virus takes over the consciousness of the infected, effectively destroying it. Anyone that becomes or is killed by a Kanshu is forgotten completely, with few exceptions.
Takao Mishima Ryuusei Takao
- Abusive Parents: Well abusive grandfather in his case.
- Affectionate Nickname: He was called "Ryuu-chan" by his mother/Julie and "Ryuu-kun" by Rena.
- Adorkable: His interactions with Yui are quite funny and sweet.
- Brutal Honesty: Given that he doesn't lie.
- The Caretaker: For Julie, who despite possessing an adult body had the mentality of a child.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Very dark, very...
- The Dreaded: He is the Hunter of Jinkis after all.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: He loved his mother (Yuri, and her Kyuuki, Julie) a lot and is still quite devoted to her. Technically he is not evil, but sort of an antagonist.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: He and Mitama/Rena were each other's only friend. He still remembers her, but she doesn't. Justified since Rena suffered from "Lost Rebound" so she doesn't remember him until she regains her memories.
- He Who Fights Monsters
- The Hunter: He only hunts Kanshuus and Jinkis, the latter he does it exclusively for their cores. Which were created from Julie.
- Hero Killer: Because of the above.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Used to be friends with Shirou, as he was of the few to be nice to him and Julie. He gave him information about the Kyuukis/Coffins Princesses and ultimately helped him bring Ende into this world. Sadly he eventually got caught by the adults of the village and was forced to "betray" Shirou.
- Meaningful Rename: Ryuusei created the alias "Takao Mishima" borrowing the fake last name that Sayoko, his teacher, used.
- Mercy Kill: To some of his "victims".
- One-Man Army: Tears through Kanshuu and lesser Jinki-users.
- Revenge Before Reason: His motivation is to find the "Source of Infection", his name being Shirou, and get his revenge on him.
- The Stoic: Most times.
- Serial Killer: How he is perceived by the rest of the world.
- We Used to Be Friends: He used to be friends with Shirou Karasawa.
- Will Not Tell a Lie: He decided to live by this principle.
An organization that fronts as a cell phone company, they handle the Jinki Users and Kanshuu incidents.
Tokiji Sawako is the Chairwoman of F.L.A.G. and one of the heirs to the Tokiji Company. In the past, she was engaged to a man called Karasawa, and she was pregnant with his child. After turning into a Kanshuu he was captured but he could apparently still control his mind, he talked her into releasing him by claiming he was in pain and then attacked her. The resulting injuries rendered her unable to bear children anymore, and she stated that the attack also killed the child she was pregnant with.She became a manipulative woman, willing to drive Riku into a rage if it meant bringing an end to the Infection. She disappeared after Ende's attack and was hospitalized in a coma until fragments of Shirou returned her stolen memories.
- Always Identical Twins: She and Sayoko were identical twins, the only way to difference them was Sayoko's scar.
- Angsty Surviving Twin: She forgot about her twin sister Sayoko, given that her loss would be too much for her to handle.
- When she finally remembers her she starts crying and exposes herself to a really dangerous situation.
- Beauty Mark: Under her left eye.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She's good at hiding it and Riku only saw through it at first with help from the "Source of Infection" Shirou.
- She is not a bad person at heart, but she's determined not to make the same mistake as before to prevent more people dying like when she released Shirou. So she commits the exact opposite mistake, and it costs her dearly.
- Defiled Forever: Since she lost her child and became unable to have more children, after the injuries she received when she was attacked by Kanshuu-Karasawa, she is treated like this by her grandfather.
- Freudian Excuse: After all that happened with Karasawa, she decided that she would do anything to ensure that F.L.A.G. would find the "Source of Infection" destroy it and eliminate Kanshuus forever.
- Incest Is Relative: Unknowingly to her she was in a relationship with her uncle, as Shirou Karasawa was her grandfather's illegitimate child.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover: She has TEN cats, and she ends up adopting the cat of a Jinki user who died.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She doesn't have any recollection of ever having a twin sister, at first.
- Poor Communication Kills: She alienates Riku by lying to him, a Consummate Liar, which makes him far more likely to see through it. To make it worse, she has people experiment on Neene without his knowldege or consent. To say that goes wrongly is an understatement of legendary proportions.
- Replacement Goldfish: She was more or less this for Shirou.
- Shameful Strip: Her grandfather has a truly depraved ritual that he puts her through every time she comes to visit him, especially if he summons her. He calls her to his bedroom, loudly and angrily demand that she disrobe, to expose the scar of her injury which rendered her barren, and then slut shames her before throwing her out again. Yeah, he's not winning any parent of the year awards. Mental illness or no.
- Slut-Shaming: On the receiving end from both Riku and her grandfather. Her grandfather does it because he's mentally ill, and a dick. Riku does it because she not only pissed him off by experimenting on Neene which let "The Source of the Infection" contaminate and use More Than Mind Control on Neene, but then she goes and serves to enrage and disgust him even further by "offering to help him with his virginity" as he's cornered, and using her as a hostage.
- Theme Twin Naming: "Sawako" and "Sayoko".
- Trauma Conga Line: Sawako has had a rough time since finding out that her former fiancee was "alive". Not only didn't he even care about her, he openly mocked and scorned her and tried to kill her. Then, when she finally remembers the existence of her sister, Sayoko, and goes to confront Ende, hoping that she may recognize her... But Ende doesn't and she categorizes Sawako as her enemy and tries to kill her. This doesn't even account for what her grandfather puts her through, or what she brings on herself by pissing off Riku.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Twice. First she lets herself be tricked by Shrio, by being a bit too honest with him, then she makes the exact opposite mistake by outright lying to Riku and Neene. Both times go very, very badly.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Karasawa has to be stopped, even if it means sacrificing someone else to do it.
Sayoko Mishima Tokiji
- Always Identical Twins: She and Sawako were identical twins, their only difference was that Sayoko had a scar on her face.
- The Lost Lenore: To Shirou.
- Theme Twin Naming: "Sawako" and "Sayoko".
- Posthumous Character: We met her trough a flashback.
- Undying Loyalty: Whenever she speaks about her grandfather the elder Tokiji, Shirou notices that she has eyes full of loyalty and submission.
The department that handles underage Jinki Users.
Youhei is a Jinki user and Rena's partner. He is depicted as an optimistic and cheerful person. Before the series began, he and Riku met during their stay at the hospital and became fast friends. At the start of the series, Youhei and Rena rescued Riku when he was first attacked by Kanshus. His Jinki resembles a short blade and was given to him by his teacher, to save him from Kanshuu-inflicted wounds. In an ironically similar situation, Youhei ends up entrusting his own Jinki to a wounded Riku. At his own request, he is beheaded by his old friend before he could become a complete Kanshuu.
- Affectionate Nick Name: He is called "You-Nii" by Riku.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Riku, who is two years younger than him and his Childhood Friend.
- Dead Side Kick: To Rena, and most of the people who knew him.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Gives Riku his Jinki core to prevent that his friend becomes a Kanshuu, saddly this turns him into one himself.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: One of the most selfless people around.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Hayato.
- Sacrificial Lion: He dies early on.
19 years old, Department leader of the annex division. He looks out for the underaged Jinki users and is shown to care about them greatly, not even hesitating to disobey the chairwoman's orders so as to protect his subordinates. He was Youhei's former partner before Rena, and has a Jinki as well.
- Bishounen: He's pretty for a guy.
- Handicapped Badass: He is in a wheelchair. As a result of his Jinki core approaching its limit. He improves near the end of the series.
- Non-Idle Rich: He's loaded.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Listens to Riku before making any judgement and is always fair.
- Young and In Charge: He basically runs the annex division.
- Big Brother Instinct: To younger members.
- Brother-Sister Team: With his little sister.
- But Not Too Foreign: He and Clara are 1/4 Japanese.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has some scars, even a X Marks the Hero scar between his eyes.
- The Nicknamer: Joe and Clara enjoy given nicknames to the other characters.
- Precision F-Strike: one chapter showing his and Clara's past has them speaking English and him swearing a lot.
- Raised by Grandparents: After their mother died.
- The Rival: He considered Youhei to be his rival.
- Sunglasses at Night: His reason is that his eyes have turned golden meaning that his Jinki core has started to give out.
- Younger Than They Look: He is the same age as Hayato.
- Action Girl: Always in the action.
- Brother-Sister Team: With her older brother.
- But Not Too Foreign: She and Joe are 1/4 Japanese.
- Expy: She is an american blonde girl with blue eye(s) who has a strong bond with her brother... Mmm I wonder why that sounds familiar.
- Little Miss Badass: She relatively small in stature, but badass.
- The Nicknamer: She along with her bother enjoys given nicknames to the other characters.
- Raised by Grandparents: After their mother died.
- Shipper on Deck: She is quite fond of the idea of Riku and Rena getting together.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: One of her eyes is gold. Which is in that state permanently as her Jinki core has begun to approach its limit.
The department that Jinki users get sent to when they are running out of power, they handle the Lost Rebound victims.
- Adult Fear: There are over 30 Jinki Users in the reserves department, but the majority don't fight. They know that their deaths would lead to them being erased from memories and are terrified because they have too much to leave behind, such as children, that can't go on without them.
- Sacrificial Lion: Did they all really have to die?
President of the Reserves Department's "Jinki users mutual aid society" (a.k.a. The Meeting Of Flags). She works as a volunteer counselor, going around the hospitals and homes to lend a hand on taking care the Lost Rebound victim. Her Jinki "Nuiyami" has the ability to revitalize other Jinki Core, although it can't repair the one that already damaged.
- All Anime Is Naughty Tentacles: Nanami's Jinki, of all things.
- Big Sister Instinct: For her younger brother.
- Cool Big Sis: To Riku and Rena sometimes
- Covert Pervert: The look on her face when she was treating Rena says it all.
- And then there's chapter 68...
- The Medic: To other Jinki Users
- Take Up My Sword: Her Jinki passed onto Riku.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: She was easily one of the sweetest characters in the series.
- Replacement Goldfish: She starts to see a bit of her younger brother in Riku. Just as he is reminded of Amane when he is with her.
Riku's stepmother, she witnessed Neene's birth and acts as a surrogate mother to Neene. She was originally a student of Riku's father, but moved in with her sister when their father died. After 8 years, she married his dad and they lived as a family ever since.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Well, justified in that she is Riku's step-mother. It is mentioned that Riku's father is a decade older than she is.
- Affectionate Nick Name: She was called "Shizu-nee" by Amane and young Riku. She calls Riku "Ricchan".
- The Ditz: A bit.
- Good Parents" To Riku.
- Happily Married: To Daiichi Amami.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She has Lost Rebound relating to Amane's birthplace
- May–December Romance: Daiichi, Riku's father, is at least ten years older than she is.
- The Medic: When introduced to Neene, she made sure the little girl was healthy by putting her through standard, non-invasive, medical diagnostic testing, and keeping up with the data. Riku remains infinately grateful for her aid in this.
- Not Blood Siblings:With Amane
- Parental Substitute: For Riku, who is her step-son, and for Amane, her little sister.
- Promotion to Parent: To Amane after their father died.
- Action Girl: She used to be in the kendo club. In fact Riku was never ever able to beat her. When her ego wakes up in Neene she becomes a Dark Action Girl.
- Affectionate Nick Name: She called Riku "Ricchan" and Shizuru "Shizu-nee". Riku refered to her as "Amane-nee".
- Bigger Bad: As her consciousness wakes up in "Adult Neene" she starts to wreack havoc and tries to destroy the world by reviving the Embryo.
- Or so it seems at first.
- Cool Big Sis: To Riku.
- Disappears into Light: According to Riku, Amane didn't die inside the burning hospital, instead she disappeared after saying him goodbye.
- Happily Adopted:By Shizuru's father.
- The Lost Lenore: For Riku.
- Manipulative Bitch: She manipulated the events of the story so as to get Riku to raise her Kyuuki, Neene, and be able to wake up the Embryo that will wipe humanity.
- Her actions are later revealed to be lean more on the Guile Hero side.
- Never Found the Body Because as a Kyuuki/Coffin Princess she has been "reborn" as Neene.
- Not Blood Siblings: With Shizuru
- Phone Call from the Dead: Not as a phone call but as a cell-phone message to Riku, "Please Find Me".
- Posthumous Character: She is already dead when the story begins.
- Plot-Triggering Death: It's basically the driving force of Riku's motivation.
- Stepford Smiler: She hid her worries and problems behind a smile.
- Tragic Villain: All of the horrible things she did was to save humanity from the corruption that was building up inside of the Embryo.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Amane intended to save humanity all along from the overflowing corruption inside Embryo.