Reggie: What did you do?Alice knows Bob very well. She can always tell what he's feeling. She'll probably say something like:
Joy: I made blueberry pancakes.
Reggie: You make those when you feel guilty.
Joy: I made blueberry pancakes.
Reggie: You make those when you feel guilty.
- "You always clean when you're angry."
- "You're only nice to me when something is wrong."
- "Whenever you have a bad day at work, your foot shakes."
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In Maison Ikkoku, you can tell Kyoko's angry because she becomes VERY enthusiastic while cleaning (more so than usual). That, and her tendency to break broomhandles by squeezing them.
- In Bitter Virgin, Yuzu notices Daisuke is upset by Kazuki's unwelcome affection because he keeps holding his forehead.
- Invoked in Liar Game where Fukunaga tells their opponent that Nao blinks twice when she lies. This was apparently a scheme the two came up together with, to trick their opponent into betting all their money in the last round of the roulette. Nao doesn't actually have a tell.
- In Jo Jos Bizarre Adventure Diamond Is Unbreakable, one of the enemy Stand users can imprison people inside sheets of paper if he get them to show their fear through a Tell; for example, Josuke's Tell is biting his lower lip. He almost succeeds, but when things turn around and Josuke catches Miyamoto's Tell, he's affected by his own Stand and gets turned into a book.
- In ReLIFE An says that when something upsets Yoake, he can't help but tap his index finger.
- Good Poker players can recognize their opponents' tells, while at the same time hiding their own.
- In So Much for No Strings Attached Snape knows that Lucius Malfoy is feeling stressed about the current situation because it's the only time he drinks O'Keaffles Irish Whiskey.
- The New Kid:
Sirius: Come along Gwenog, let's go get changed for our date.
Gwenog Jones: Hold on, you never use my full name unless you've done something you haven't told us about.
Fred: You did something, didn't you?
Ginny: No I didn't. What gave you that idea?
George: Yes you did. You mess with your hair when you're hiding something.
- In the Fairly Oddparents story, Never Had A Friend Like Me, Amanda notices that Norm tends to push his sunglasses up, blocking his eyes from sight, when he wants to hide something.
- Played with in What Happens in Vegas when Tonks deliberately turns her hair yellow while lying to Mundungus Fletcher.
"Bright colors make people think you're trustworthy and honest," Mad-Eye had told her more than once when she was still a cadet. "So long as you also do that when you are telling the truth, they'll think it's one of your tells."
- In MirrorMask, when Helena's father is trying to calm her about her mother's impending brain surgery, and unconsciously chews his lip, she blurts, "Anyway, you're worried. You only do that when you're worried!"
- Kung Fu Panda. "You eat when you are upset."
- In Casino Royale (2006), Bond figures out that Le Chiffre is bluffing when he goes to rub his eye - though Bond loses that particular hand, he explains afterwards to Vesper and Mathis that Le Chiffre bet big and only got lucky on the river card, meaning he had a weak hand when he bet big. Le Chiffre later repeats it but this time, having been tipped off about his tell and that Bond is looking for it, uses it to clean out all of Bond's chips. Bond only gets a buy-back into the game when Felix Leiter steps in.
- In House of Games, a sequence involved one main explaining to another what a "tell" is—down to demonstrating it, with a "hidden penny" game.
- It is repeatedly mentioned in the Mercy Thompson books that Mercy bakes when she's upset. It is actually pretty consistent, and is remarked upon a few times.
- In The Princess Diaries, Mia's nostrils flare whenever she lies, although she's an excellent liar otherwise, and no one had noticed the nostrils thing before Grandmere.
- From Dead Like Me:
Reggie: What did you do?Joy: I made blueberry pancakes.Reggie: You make those when you feel guilty.
"You (referring to Susan) only say apparently when you're annoyed at something"
- In Aquila one of the protagonists' mothers realises he's upset when he begins sorting his rock collection.
- Ellie Nash from Degrassi cooks when she's angry, according to Marco.
- Babylon 5: Commander Ivanova knows something is up when she sees Garibaldi "eating like a man starved", but she doesn't know him well enough to be sure there's a reason behind it. It turns out it is something Garibaldi does when faced with death (in this case, a ship full of colonists he came across who were killed by Space Pirates.)
- In Frasier, Niles' nose bleeds when he's broken his ethical code. Likewise, when Frasier has knowingly broken his ethical code, he starts having attacks of nausea.
- House can tell when Cuddy's bluffing even when he's not in the same building because he's talking on a phone with Wilson.
- In the season 2 finale, the guy who shot House knows when House isn't sleeping, because his nostrils flare when he sleeps. Although, most of the episode was All Just a Dream, so make of that what you will.
- In The West Wing episode "Two Cathedrals", Mrs Landingham explains in a flashback that when Bartlett has made up his mind to do something, he sticks his hands in his pockets, looks away, and smiles. If you're paying attention at the end, he does the same thing when asked if he's going to run again.
- In The City Hunter, Prosecutor Kim Young Ju knows his ex-wife, Sae Hee, is lying about the whereabouts of The City Hunter because she draws a circle on the table with her finger.
- In Necessary Roughness, Dani squints a lot whenever she doesn't like something or someone.
- In Corner Gas, Emma cleans whenever she is angry about something. In the same episode, Davis and Karen take advantage of this by bringing her to their dirty kitchens and riling her up.
- In Korean Drama, Secret Garden, Gil Ra Im taps one of her feet, when she's interested in has-been singer Oska. Oska sees this after a "Freaky Friday" Flip from his male relative, and gets seriously squicked out.
- Stormbringer supplement Demon Magic, adventure "Sorcerer's Isle". From the description of the pirate Janar Ra:
When she is angry, she goes into the jungle and hacks away at trees; when she is very angry, she sullenly sharpens her axes. The rest of the pirates do not disturb her when she sharpens her axes.
- This is a game mechanic in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney- when a witness is nervous while testifying they'll perform some sort of habitual action that you have to zoom in on and then call them out on.
- Also a benefit of the advanced facial animation technology present in L.A. Noire, where during interrogations, a suspect may have a telling reaction as they wait your response to their testimony and you must gauge the correct response based on that. Some more telling than others.
- Also subverted in that a tell is not a sign of lying, and a lack of tell is not a sign of telling the truth.
- In Ozy and Millie, the tail of foxes shows their emotions. This is mentioned many times, including for Ozy and Ms. Mudd
- In Girl Genius, Baron Klaus Wulfenbach has one that Lucrezia knows (spoilers):
Lucrezia (In Agatha's body): It is you! You're doing that thing you do whenever I catch you at something!
Klaus (In Gil's body): What thing?
Lucrezia: Ha! As if I'd tell you!
- When "discorded", Applejack in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic lies every time she speaks. Every time she does, however, her face crinkles up and her eyes flick back and forth.