open/close all folders
The life and blood of our dear establishment! Without them, there wouldn't be a hotel in the first place! While I can't disclose ALL of their personal details, I can indulge you in some gossip and maybe a little hearsay...
805: Kuzuki TaizouOne of our more recent guests! He paid for an extended stay, and has so far been making himself quite the face around the island, however unintentionally.
- Beat Still, My Heart: Open-heart surgeon she is not, but Elena's cuddling of Taizou's cardiac muscle saved his life.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Kuzuki had his eye put out and fingers cut off by some Yakuza who came to call. Miss Elena was most displeased.
- Dark and Troubled Past: There are some rumours that Mr. Kuzuki had quite the life in Japan—and not exactly a legal one.
- Official Couple: Elena certainly seems to dote on him quite a bit.
- May–December Romance: Miss Elena has taken quite the shine to him.
- Tattooed Crook: As a result of his shady past with the Yakuza.
804: KurosawaA rather pleasant man, though rumor has it he's actually the world's #1 assassin.
- Bi the Way: Is quick to remind potential suitors he's gay, but fell in love with Stark and is implied to have had relations with Mamiya in the past.
- Back from the Dead: His ghost tries to dissuade Mamiya from targeting Taizou, but she doesn't listen.
- Bury Your Gays: He disappeared shortly after going for coffee at Snark's cafe. A pity, because he was going to confess to her too.
- Hitman with a Heart: Kurosawa may be the world's #1 assassin, but he's a genuinely good guy as long as you don't have a bounty on you.
402: HarakiA manga artist.
- Starving Artist: He always seems to be fretting over deadlines and the like, but I've never really seen him actually drawing till the last minute—or past it.
- A True Story In My Universe: In the epilogue, he has written and published a manga based on the events comprising the series, titled The Voynich Hotel.
303: Tamara, Misha, and KarieA rather interesting trio. They skipped housekeeping and room service, for some reason.
- Becoming the Mask: A few rumours surrounding Karie say she's actually an undercover agent for the FDA to bust a drug operation, but as the police have yet to darken our doorstep, assume them to be just that: rumours.
- Only Mostly Dead: Tamara, despite having her head blown open by Kurosawa, revives just enough to demand Karie pay her back for the pilfered drugs before dying for real.
VIP: The Assassin SistersA pair of white-haired black-eyed sisters who showed up recently.
- Black Eyes of Evil: They don't possess noticeable irises or sclera.
- Frankenstein's Monster: Fortunately Beluna took pity on the younger sister after she ran afoul of Snark and stitched her back together.
- Genki Girl: The younger sister, who has a passion for the parasite Gilty. (The cat is its host.)
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: The hotel's new decoration just happens to look exactly like the severed head of the eldest sister.
- Off with Her Head!: Mamiya runs afoul of Elena when she targets Taizou.
- Revenge Before Reason:The younger sister was overheard vowing to avenge her older sister's death.
- White Hair, Black Heart: They have snow-white hair and are rumoured to be high-ranking assassins.
A hotel is only as good as its employees—and what the Voynich lacks in quantity, we have in quality.
Elena AKA Lachrymarum, the Mother of TearsOne of our two maids. Very cheerful and upbeat, together with Beluna, she keeps the Voynich spotless and still has plenty of energy leftover for her own pursuits!
- A-Cup Angst: Please do not remark on her lack of cleavage.
- Action Girl: Despite her short stature, Elena is quite active.
- The Beastmaster: The local man-eating tigers seem to be remarkably obedient around her.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Be you human or demon, lay so much as a dirty look in Kuzuki's direction, and she'll make your stay abrupt and unpleasant.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: I hear she can get rather unpleasant if provoked.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: When poor Elena returned home from visiting her mother, the sight of Taizo being mutilated by the Yakuza caused this reaction.
- Eyepatch of Power: She had an eyepatch for a time, when her glass eye was accidentally destroyed.
- Glass Eye: She has one. It's a slightly different colour than the other as Taizo made a slight mistake at the shop.
- Genki Girl: It's rather hard to find people as upbeat and cheery as her.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: Elena is very strong for her build and stature, and if the rumours about her are true is a powerful witch.
- Moe Green Special: She lost her eye way, way back when the colonials shot her with an arrow.
- Mystical Pregnancy: Elena was heard gushing that she might be pregnant after Kuzuki spent the night in her room, but nothing's come of it since.
- Power Tattoo: Has tribal tattoos all over her body, though her maid uniform covers them up.
- Really 700 Years Old: Some say she is really Lachrymarum of the Three Mothers.
- Skeletons in the Coat Closet: Elena possesses a number of masks crafted from animal skulls and one of her hobbies is wearing bones.
- Tranquil Fury: Elena was unable to protect poor Taizou from the repercussions of his past. She was able to do some redecorating, and was surprisingly calm about it.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Attention all yakuza, assassins, demons, etc.: You mess with Kuzuki, you wind up with your severed head impaled on the hotel roof or used to repaint the room.
BelunaThe second of our housekeeping duo. Together with Elena, they keep our dear hotel spotless. She's also quite handy if you need anything lifted—or destroyed.
- Emotionless Girl: It's hard to tell how she's feeling at any given moment, really.
- Frankenstein's Monster: The numerous scars all around her body give out this sort of vibe. Appropriate, considering she is one.
- Replacement Goldfish: Constructed by Lachrymarum as a (unintentional) simulacrum of Suspiriorum, the Mother of Sighs.
- When She Smiles: She's very pretty, actually.
- The Eeyore: Poor girl's led a hard life. Lost her parents to a landmine, suffered from an eating disorder till the owner snapped her out of it, and her job isn't exactly the easiest (or safest) out there.
- Establishing Character Moment: Now why would one of our employees try to poison a guest as part of her own suicide attempt? How ridiculous.
- Suicide as Comedy: Alas, the poor girl thinks she's better off dead than alive.
Umeda KandreOur owner, a retired luchador. Quite the man about town, famous for his career and now for his hotel.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He may not look like much, but rumor has it that he punched out the Chuck Norris himself.
- Masked Luchador: Though he's now retired, he still wears his masks on a daily basis. It's quite the sight to see, really.
- Nice Guy: He makes it a point to regularly visit and assist orphans from the war.
While the Voynich most definitely does not employ nor house beings of the supernatural kind, there have been numerous rumours and "sightings" going around.
The Yakuza GhostsA pair of yakuza killed by Kurosawa. Not much is known about them, though one had quite the interest in strange stories, apparently.
- Those Two Guys: There really isn't anything TOO remarkable about them... except that one is a dead ringer for Vegeta.
MerceloThe namesake of that new drug. They say she still lives in the room she overdosed in.
- Boy Meets Ghoul: As if the idea of ghosts wasn't silly enough, some have taken to saying she's actually taken a shine to Mr. Haraki.
The island is home to all sorts of interesting personalities, too.
ZepisThe legendary second-rate boiler engineer! He can fix anything, really, but let's just say his head is a little beyond repair these days...
- Artificial Limbs: With thanks to the war. Not entirely a bad thing; his leg acted as a ground and saved him from that one time he got struck by lightning seven times in a row. And it was such a fine day, too...
SnarkAlice's older sister. Owner of a local restaurant, and DAMN fine chef. I wonder how she does it with two prosthetic arms...
- Artificial Limbs: Lost both of her arms in the war. She's been doing amazingly well at her job without them, though. Just goes to show what a lot of passion and some fancy prosthetics can do.
- Buxom Is Better: Certainly subscribes to this belief, since she got herself a bust enhancement.
- Cool Big Sis: For all her flaws, she truly loves her sister.
- Deal with the Devil: There's really no shortage of rumours on where she got those skills of hers.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Is the proprietor of a popular cafe and a wanted serial killer whose name is known to the police. How she does it no-one knows.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Rumour has it Snark really likes to get it on with hot guys.
- Mundane Utility: Her prosthetics really come in "handy" for all sorts of things.
- Out with a Bang: Said to her favourite way of expressing her "love".
- Serial Killer: Some say she's not altogether well in the head, but don't tell Alice.
- Wolverine Claws: The true form of her "Demon's Claw +2" prosthetics.
Officer OlgaOne of our fine law enforcers. Currently in charge of the "Snark" serial killer case, alongside her partner, Andyroid.
- Covert Pervert: The lines on her palm indicate that her sex drive is distressingly insatiable. Assuming you trust Andyroid, anyway.
- Only Sane Woman: She's quite responsible and mature compared to... well... pretty much most of the island.
AndyroidThe cutting-edge of crime fighting technology: a robot detective! He hasn't really solved anything yet, but I'm sure he will eventually! It's not as if he's a giant waste of money and research, right?
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Rumour is that a secret facility is producing killer robots. Is this guy a defective model? Who knows?
- Bumbling Sidekick: Officer Olga doesn't seem to like having him around. (I can't say I blame her...)
- Expy: Visually is one of Robot Keiji K
- Ridiculously Human Robot: According to the droid himself, they really went out of their way to make him as human as possible. I'd say they succeeded—a little too well, actually...
- Sex Bot: Self-proclaimed. It's not what he was originally built for, but he's certainly "well equipped".
The Sleuth Brigade
A rather energetic bunch of kids, dedicated to solving the "mysteries" of the Voynich. Heaven knows what they expect to find.
- Five-Man Band
- The Leader: Leader—why else would he be called that?
- The Lancer: Vixen, no matter how adamantly she tries to be "The Chick."
- The Smart Guy: Professor, of course.
- The Big Guy: Fatty, to no one's surprise.
- The Chick: Formerly Peace, it seems Alice has taken over for her. Vixen tries to be this, but the poor darling just doesn't have the disposition for it.
- Kid Detectives: The whole lot of them.
- Scars Are Forever: Has a scar on his face from the landmine detonation that killed Peace.
- Survivor Guilt: One of the two to have taken Peace's death hardest. It wasn't really his fault he stepped on a landmine, though.
VixenA little girl trying to grow up too fast. Quite the hothead.
- A-Cup Angst: Like most girls her age, she tends to worry about her lack of assets. Poor girl just can't seem to wait.
- Fiery Redhead: Has quite the temper on her.
- Fille Fatale: Well, she tries to be one, at any rate.
- Survivor Guilt: The second of the two who've been hit hardest by Peace's death. She was her rival, to some extent, though I doubt she'd have wanted to have "won" in this fashion.
PeaceA former-member. Poor dear died saving Leader from a landmine. She was, true to her name, the diplomatic one of their group.
- Buxom Is Better: She was older than the rest of the group.
- The Chick: Formerly the group's diplomat and glue.
- The Lost Lenore: Though the poor dears put on brave faces, its obvious they're still hurting from losing her. Even worse that she'd usually be the one consoling them, if it'd been someone else.
- Meaningful Name: Like I said, they didn't call her Peace for nothing.
- Tuck and Cover: Threw Leader to the side of a landmine he'd accidentally stepped on.
ProfessorAKA Doctor. The Brigade's expert on mythology and legends! There's no story or mysterious past this guy doesn't know.
- Boy Meets Ghoul: Rumour has it he has a thing for Tenebraum.
- The Smart Guy: If there's anything to be done that requires research or delving into the realm of the obscure, he's their man—er, boy.
- Big Eater: They don't call him "Fatty" for nothing!
AliceSnark's younger sister. A rather nice girl, if painfully shy without her mask on.
- Alice Allusion: As if it were not enough that she's such an innocent child in the middle of this chaotic island, one must think her parents were very into Lewis Carroll's work, considering her and her sister's name, and the rabbit mask she's so fond of.
- Cassandra Truth: She says some pretty interesting things. While we won't say she doesn't know more than she lets on, you have to admit that most of those are probably products of an overactive imagination.
- The Chick: She seems to be filling in the void Peace left quite nicely.
- Expressive Mask: Funny how that mask seems to mirror her emotions and mood, like it's reflecting her true face. We wonder how the maker did it?
- Mask of Power: There's some talk of her mask not being all it seems. I wouldn't put much weight into it.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: Sort of appropriate that her mask's a rabbit, isn't it?
First gangsters, drug dealers and assassins, then zombies, ghosts, and witches. I suppose the inhabitants from way down below were bound to make an appearance in all these silly rumours, eh?
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Easily defeats Beluna, and has it done to him in turn by Elena.
- Reality Warper: Replaced the local donut shop with his own hotel for a little while, though he's still less powerful than the youngest of the Three Sisters.
- Cyclops: Her mask conceals her single eye.
- Deal with the Devil: Is the one who supplied Snark with her prosthetics and boob job.
- Bullying a Dragon: Ashy shouldn't have tried to steal Taizou's soul when Elena was around.