open/close all folders
The Sole Survivor
- Affably Evil
- The Alcoholic/Off the Wagon: Sadly has become this after winning. See his appearance on Dr. Phil
- Ascended Fanboy
- The Bad Guy Wins: Though he's not a full-fledged one in the way, say, Richard Hatch and Brian Heidik were.
- Celebrity Resemblance/Identical Stranger Looks quite a bit like Adam Scott
- The Chessmaster
- Deadpan Snarker: His reaction to Jean Robert finding out there's idol sums it all up.
- Evil Genius / The Smart Guy
- Genre Savvy:
- Knew the consequences of becoming the leader of Fei Long, so instead tried to shove that responsibility onto Aaron.
- Quickly deduced that the Final 5 immunity challenge was Second Chance challenge.
- Last of His Kind/The One Guy: The only male in the Top 5.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Wears red clothes and he originally belongs to the red tribe Fei-Long. No wonder he won.
- The Man Behind the Man: While Aaron appeared as the leader of Fei Long before the swap, Todd was actually the one calling the shots for his tribe.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Non-Action Guy: Todd is one of the few winners to not win a challenge.
- Negated Moment of Awesome: Happen twice in Individual Challenges
- Todd was leading the way in the Final 6 Immunity Challenge but gotten an wrong key at the . The mistake allowed Peih-Gee to win immunity.
- In the final 5 reward challenge, Todd landed 5 of his 6 arrows on his targets. However, Denise ended up winning the challenge because Courtney landed on Denise's targets more than Todd's.
- Shorter Means Smarter
- Sole Survivor
- Straight Gay: Todd became the second LGBT contestant to make it to Final Tribal Council after Richard Hatch.
- The Strategist
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: He uses this a lot.
- Worthy Opponent: Especially to Jean Robert.
Courtney was selected to compete on Heroes vs. Villains
- Badass Adorable:
- Call Back: References Jonny Fairplay's Dead Grandma Lie when Todd said her sister's
- Child Hater: Admitted to being one at the Reunion.
- The Cutie
- Deadpan Snarker: One of the show's best example's.
- Defeat by Modesty: At one challenge.
- Fag Hag: To Todd.
- Genki Girl
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Leslie.
- Kid-Appeal Character: Ironically, she is an Child Hater.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Also wears red clothes and she also originally belongs to the red tribe Fei-Long.
- Lean and Mean: She's quite skinny.
- No Damage Run
- Out Numbered Sibling: As revealed in her biography, Courtney is the only girl out of her four siblings.
- Ship Tease: With Frosti.
- The Snark Knight: One of the most sarcastic, acerbic players in Survivor history. Outright says she hates everyone in the game at one point.
- Ungrateful Bitch: Invoked by Amanda for why Courtney didn't deserve to win.
Amanda was chosen to compete on Fans vs. Favorites and later, Heroes vs. Villains.
- Action Girl: Her ability to defeat Denise and Peih-Gee in the last two immunity challenges was crucial in determining the final three.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Male Gaze: Almost unavoidable when every single moment she's on screen her rear-end is blurred out.
- Ms. Fanservice: Former Miss Montana, ladies and gentlemen.
- Nice Girl
- No Damage Run
- Pixellation: Read male gaze above.
- Poor Communication Kills: The reason she lost in the final tribal council is due to this.
- The Runner-Up Takes It All: Or rather, The Second Runner Up Takes It All
- Statuesque Stunner
- Fish out of Water: A big theme of her story was her experiences on reward trips where she was completely amazed and humbled by the culture she'd never experienced.
- Hidden Depths: Would you believe she's a black belt in Kenpo?
- Out of Focus: Early in the season entire episodes would go by without her having a single confessional. It's only after James and Aaron are sent to Zhan Hu that she starts getting attention.
- Perpetual Poverty: Denise discusses how that while Todd will have his flight attendant job, Courtney will have her waitressing job and Amanda will have her modelling career after the show, this trope is all Denise has to go back to after the show is over.
- It was since revealed that she had lied about this.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To Amanda and Todd and Final Tribal.
- Ungrateful Bitch: Peih-Gee certainly thinks so.
- Unwitting Pawn: Duped and dumped at the Final Four.
Peih-Gee was chosen via Public vote to return for The second Chance season.
- Action Girl
- Born Unlucky: Peih-Gee was on the losing tribe pre-merge, in the minority post merge and was ostracized for threat status.
- Butt Monkey: Read born unlucky.
- Determinator: She did everything she could to make sure she wouldn't go home, including winning two clutch immunities.
- Facial Markings: In Food eating challenge.
- Foreshadowing: Peih-Gee's confessional about feeling like she was on an losing tribe.
- Graceful Loser
- Last of Her Kind: She was the last Zhan Hu left.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Peih-Gee was the only China player to return but play not play on Heroes vs Villains.
- Plucky Girl
- Spell My Name with an "S": Her name is typically spelled "Peggy."
- The Strategist: When trying to find ways to vote off Todd.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Started as Alpha Bitch of Zhan Hu, but after merge, she mellowed.
James was selected to return to for The first Fans Vs. Favorites and Heroes Vs. Villains
- Bald of Awesome
- The Big Guy: To Fei-Long.
- Big Eater: Jean-Robert got on James for eating extra rice and On the Day 27 immunity challenge, James opted to eat burgers instead. At tribal council, James claimed he at 7 burgers.
- Breakout Character: Won the fan favorite this time and in Micronesia.
- Gentle Giant
- Heroic Build:
- Ineffectual Loner: James admitted he like being a Gravedigger because he like being by himself.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Oh, the Humanity!: Said this when the very real prospect of being transferred to Zhan Hu.
- Pixellation: James had his butt blurred while Showering at the Chinese bathhouse.
- Scary Black Man: He's very imposing. Nice Guy, though.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Too Dumb to Live: You will get stuck with this stigma if you don't play one of your two idols.
Michael "Frosti" Zernow
- But Not Too Foreign: Stated in his Profile that he is half-Russian and Half-Japanese.
- Informed Flaw: Frosti states he sucks with Memory challenges. However he won the first immunity challenge and nearly won immunity in his last episode, both involved memory.
- Kid Hero: He was the youngest contestant of the season and was at the time, the youngest survivor ever.
- Le Parkour: An honest-to-goodness practitioner of it.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Frosti.
- Pint Size Powerhouse: Frosti stated he was the smallest on Zhan Hu. He was also the most athletic of his tribe and performed well in all of the individual immunity challenge.
- The Quisling
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Defects to Fei Long believing that he's become a fully integrated member, only to be unanimously voted out by both by Fei Long and Zhan Hu alike.
- Ship Tease: With Courtney.
- Tagalong Kid: At first to Zhan Hu, then to Todd's alliance
- Character Development: Invoked - his plan was to be lazy and uncooperative at the start of the game, so when he did start to become helpful around camp, his tribemates would mistake that for the aforementioned trope.
- French Jerk
- Genre Savvy: Jean-Robert was quick to identify Todd as a Strategic player from the onset.
- Hidden Depths: Shocks everyone when it turns out he speaks semi-fluent Mandarin, which comes in handy when a Chinese fisherman and his family visit Fei Long as a Reward Challenge prize.
- Jerk Ass
- Lazy Bum: Deliberately invoked this trope in order to lower the tribe's expectations of him and then pleasantly surprise them when he did start working hard. It only worked partially.
- Pixellation: During the Episode 2 reward challenge.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: To Courtney.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Genuinely believed himself to be the best player in the game. The actual sequence of events that leads to his being voted out proves otherwise, and he actually refuses to admit he made mistakes as a player at the reunion in spite of it.
- Smug Snake
- The Strategist: Attempted to be this, but it never really panned out.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- The Unfavorite: Liked by basically nobody else on his tribe.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Todd this when all is said and done.
- Disc One Final Boss
- Dumb Blonde: Despite being a fairly competent leader, this is how the other tribe and most of the cast saw her.
- Failed a Spot Check: Mistaking a plank of wood for the hidden immunity idol.
- Humiliation Conga: Her last episode is an endless parade of mockery.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Nice Girl
- Ship Tease: With Erik. They got married post show and had a son.
- Southern Belle
- Smug Snake: Especially when throwing the challenge to get rid of one of Zhan Hu's new tribemates.
- Diabolus ex Machina: Had it not been for the tribal shuffle, there was little doubt that he could make the jury. Instead, the shuffle put him on a tribe with people that don't want any part of him, so they throw a challenge and vote him out.
- Puppet King: While it appeared that he was in charge of Fei Long, Todd was actually calling all the shots. It's subverted when you realize that Aaron gotten his way at Fei Long's tribal Council when Leslie was voted out over Jean-Robert.
- Standardized Leader: To Fei Long.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Dave's abrasive personality is what gotten him voted out.
- The Leader: What he tried to be for Zhan Hu.
- The Load: His hard work made him weak in challenges.
- Naked People Are Funny: In the episode 3 reward challenge.
- Pointy-Haired Boss: For Zhan Hu
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: With Ashley especially, but basically his whole tribe.
- Stupid Boss
- Ascended Fangirl: Leslie applied 11 times before getting casts
- Can Not Keep A Secret: The reason why she was voted out was because of telling Zhan Hu about Fei Long's dynamics.
- The Fundamentalist: Arguably, she receives a more positive edit than most devoutly religious people on this show.
- Graceful Loser
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Courtney & Todd.
- Team Mom: For Fei Long
- Gag Boobs
- Ill Girl: Was sick the entire time she was there.
- The Load: Her illness turned her into this.
- Multicolored Hair: Black, Blonde and Pink.
- Shout-Out: Mocked Dave's past as a model by voting for "Derek Zoolander" — I mean, Dave" at her last Tribal Council.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: To Dave.
Steve "Chicken" Morris