open/close all folders
Voiced by: Sayuri Yoshida (JP), Luci Christian (EN)The sixteen year old heroine of Prétear, After her mother's death and her father's remarriage, Himeno is thrust into a high-class society life where she has trouble adjusting. She meets Hayate and the Leafe Knights, who tell her that she's the Prétear who is needed to save the world.
- Action Girl: She's a real hot-blooded girl sometimes.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Himeno chooses cranky, abrasive Hayate over friendly, approachable Sasame. Arguably subverted once Sasame does his Face–Heel Turn in the anime.
- An Axe to Grind: The Fire Axe.
- Badass Princess
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Hayate.
- Berserk Button: She is not fond of Hayate's nickname for her.
- Betty and Veronica: She plays two roles in two different triangles: the Archie to Hayate's Veronica and Sasame's Betty, and (at least initially) the Veronica to Sasame's Archie and Mawata's Betty.
- BFG: The Ice Arquebus.
- Big Eater: Hayate tries to test her endurance by placing her in front of a table full of sweets and seeing how long she can last without eating them. She scarfs down the entire spread before he can finish explaining the challenge.
- The Chosen One: She was chosen by fate to bear the mantle of Pretear and all the responsibilities that come with it.
- Elemental Powers
- The Exile: Temporarily self-imposed.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation
- The Heroine: The main character and the titular Pretear.
- Hot-Blooded: Played with. She's fired up when her mind's set on something, but her own emotional and self-esteem issues prevent her from being all too eager to just jump in at any time, especially with regards to her job as the Pretear.
- Luminescent Blush: From time to time, especially whenever the boys are just too close for comfort with her.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: A variation of this. She gets different powers when she prets with different Knights.
- Nice Girl: While she has her limits, she's overall pretty kind to people around her, even to her stepsister Mawata, who, before Character Development kicked in, was pretty cold and a bit of a Jerkass towards her.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Plucky Girl
- Refusal of the Call: She initially didn't want to take the Leafe Knights' offer of becoming the Pretear because she believed that they were just fooling her into "making her feel good about herself". Hayate's attitude towards her didn't exactly help their case. Thankfully, she relents just in time and accepts becoming the Pretear.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: In some fansubs, though it never really crosses Precision F-Strike territory.
- Stepford Smiler: She may appear cheerful and energetic on the outside, but it's made apparently clear that it's a coping mechanism she uses as a response to her family issues and her own emotional problems.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: She's very tomboyish compared to her stepsisters, especially Mayune, the girly girl.
- Transformation Sequence
- Whip It Good: The Water Flail.
- Happily Married: To Natsue.
- Let's Get Dangerous!
- Not with Them for the Money: Kaoru genuinely loves his wife instead of her wealth.
- Parents as People: A kind-hearted man who does his best, but doesn't necessarily understand his girl even when he tries.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Natsue.
Voiced by: Kikuko Inoue (JP), Lauren Goodnight (EN)Natsue is a wealthy and powerful executive who, after her divorce is Happily Married to Kaoru Awayuki. In the anime, while strict with Himeno, she also greatly cares about her wellbeing.
- Happily Married: To Kaoru. It's almost sickly-sweet how much those two are in love.
- I Own This Town: In the anime, all businesses in town are affiliated to Natsue's business conglomerate. After marrying Kaoru, she renames the businesses and the town after him.
- Parents as People: Likewise. She does attempt to be kind to her stepdaughter in her own way, but she's quite disconnected from her and her own daughters.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: In the manga storyline, Natsue is the CEO of a cosmetics company but this fact is rarely stated and the only time she's ever seen doing something related to that is during a flashback from when she asked her butler to test one product. One of the other few times her job is mentioned has Himeno comment that "at least she's supposed to be".
- Spoiled Sweet
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: With Kaoru.
- Wicked Stepmother: Moreso in the manga than the anime.
- More Beautiful Than A Goddess: So she tells us, and she just LOVES to rub it in.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: She seems to be a bitch, but she's really not so bad. In fact, in the anime she actually tears up and screams in horror when it looks Himeno has died.
- No Guy Wants to Be Chased: They certainly don't want to be chased by Mayune.
- Rich Bitch
- Took a Level in Badass: In the finale, she's seen attempting to help Himeno to free Mawata alongside the parents, using her bare hands to try getting thorns and roots outta the way.
Voiced by: Akemi Kanda (JP), Mandy Clark (JP)Intelligent and composed, Mawata is the seemingly perfect child of the family. However, her outwardly calm demeanor is used as a facade to hide her loneliness and mask her own sense of loss and heartbreak. She also has a crush on Sasame.
- Barrier Maiden and Dark Magical Girl: In the anime, after crossing the Despair Event Horizon and being seized by Takako immediately afterwards. Himeno and her family have to work hard to bring her back.
- Broken Bird
- Despair Event Horizon: She breaks when she sees her beloved Sasame kiss Takako. After rejecting her. In front of her family.
- Lonely Rich Kid: To some extent.
- Stepford Smiler: She's polite and a little cold, but still good-hearted. In reality, she has massive issues as she never recovered from her dad's death.
- Wise Beyond Their Years
Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (JP), Paul Sidello (EN)Is the Awayuki family's chauffeur. He and Natsue used to go to school together, with Mr. Tanaka harboring a crush on Natsue while she pursued other interests. He once offered Natsue a ride, which lead to his employment as the Awayuki's chauffeur.
Voiced by: Yui Horie (JP), Kaytha Coker (EN)A maid at the Awayuki estate who is friendly with Himeno and regularly provides her with advice. She's actually Takako in disguise.
Knights of Leafe
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Himeno.
- Blow You Away: Knight of the wind.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He sacrifices himself protecting Himeno from Fenrir. He gets better thanks to Himeno's massive outpouring of leafe.
- Failure Knight: Takako's fate has left him determined to fight without a Prétear rather than put another girl through the same risk. It also makes him overprotective of Himeno, in spite of his harshness toward her.
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Long Haired Prettyboy
- My Greatest Failure: He blames himself for Takako's fall and her transformation into the Princess of Disaster, because he wasn't able to return her feelings but led her on rather than risk rejection interfering with her ability to fight as Prétear.
- Jerkass Façade
- Razor Wind
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome and Tall, Dark, and Snarky
Sasamehe later becomes Fenrir's Knight of Darkness after confessing that he was in love with Takako 16 years ago, pitting him against the Leafe Knights and the Prétear. In the anime adaptation, his personality is changed to a quieter, more serious nature.
- Adaptational Dye Job: In the manga, he's blonde, but the anime gives him white hair and violet eyes.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: He makes the power of sound look AWESOME!
- Face–Heel Turn: He loves Takako/Fenrir so much, he'd leave the Leafe for her.
- Magic Music: Knight of Sound, it's kinda the same thing.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Hayate's Manly Man.
- Tender Tears
Voiced by: Makoto Naruse (JP), Victor Carsrud (EN)The Knight of Light and works at an Internet company. Kei is the most practical and direct of the Knights, which sometimes leads to confrontation. He's also a narcissist.
- Combat Stilettos: His Knight outfit features some lovely high heels.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: In the anime. In the manga he has a lighter skin tone.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Not so much in the manga, but definitely in the anime.
- Shock and Awe: Being the Knight of light, he can fire bursts of light energy as his weapon.
- The Spock
Voiced by: Tamaki Nakanishi (JP), Sasha Paysinger (EN)The youngest member of the Leafe Knights and the Knight of Plants. He can use his abilities to heal plants, and is very sensitive to anyone hurting them. In the manga, when he prete's with Himeno he dies as the Pretear must draw energy from the knight to fight, but is revived. In the anime, Shin is the only knight never shown preting with her.
Takako/Fenrir, the Princess of Disaster
Voiced by: Yui Horie (JP), Kaytha Coker (EN)Takako was the last Prétear before Himeno. She fell in love with Hayate but he was unable to reciprocate her feelings, causing the heartbroken girl to turn her powers towards evil. In the anime adaptation, Sasame confesses that he had loved her all along; she doesn't return his feelings but has him become her Knight of Darkness and orders him to kill Hayate. At the end of the series, Himeno's kindness and Sasame's death out of love for her enables her to regain her humanity and return to normal. She is last seen with the revived Sasame, finally free from her hatred. Fenrir's ultimate goal is to destroy the world by taking away the Leafe that preserves all life.
- Dark Magical Girl: The rare Big Bad example
- Despair Event Horizon: Crossing it due to her unrequited love for Hayate is what turned her from Prétear to Princess of Disaster.
- Falsely Reformed Villain: Poses as Mikage, a friendly maid at the Awayuki residence.
- Hero's Evil Predecessor: She is the previous Pretear, fallen to darkness, and it's suggested it may have also happened before and could happen to any Pretear.
- Love Makes You Evil —> Love Redeems: In the anime.
- Mind Rape: Attempts it in the anime, via distorting Himeno's dreams.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast
- Rapunzel Hair: As the Princess of Disaster.
- Villainous Breakdown: One of the most heartbreaking you'll ever see.