open/close all folders
Ofelia / Princess Moanna
Played By: Ivana Baquero
A child who comes to believe she is the reincarnation of a princess from a fairy tale.
The Human World
Played By: Sergi López
Ofelia's new stepfather and a Falange officer.
- Abusive Parents
- Asshole Victim: His death left few, if any of the audiences to tears.
- Big Bad
- Blood Knight
- Classic Villain
- Clock King: Dowplayed, Vidal (who does have a clock motif) makes many plans, manipulating the rebels to come to him while reinforcing the countries power as well as estimating where the rebels will go and whether or not his house staff are trustworthy.
- Disappeared Dad: His father was killed in Morocco when Vidal was only a boy, and made him obsessed of having a son of his own.
- Fantasy Forbidding Parent
- Freudian Excuse: See Disappeared Dad above, since his own father's death shook him up badly. But it doesn't excuse his depravity at all.
- Hero Killer: He slaughters a bunch of Rebel soldiers and tortures the stuttering kid horribly. Oh, and he kills Ofelia.
- It's All About Me: Vidal is more concerned about preserving his legacy than actually caring for a child.
- Jerkass: This is the nicest way to describe him.
- Kick the Dog: Vidal treats this as his daily routine.
- Offing the Offspring: After Ofelia takes her brother away from him, Vidal eventually tracks down Ofelia, takes the brother back and kills Ofelia.
- Pragmatic Villainy: He was annoyed that killed two innocent hunters he's mistaken for rebels. Only because his men didn't check on them thoroughly, thus wasting his time, and killing innocent civilians would probably incite the townspeople to support the rebels.
- Supernatural Proof Father: Is unable to see the Faun.
- Torture Technician
- Would Hurt a Child
Played By: Ariadna Gil
Ofelia's mother and Vidal's wife.
Played By: Maribel Verdú
Played By: Álex Angulo
A doctor in the service of Vidal who is also an anti-Francoist and aids the rebels.
Played By: Roger Casamajor
Mercedes' brother, and leader of the rebels.
Played By: Doug Jones & Pablo Adán
An ancient creature, he has been waiting in the Labyrinth for the reincarnated princess to return.
- Berserk Button: He really doesn't like it when rules are broken.
- The Fair Folk
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He can be downright scary, but he really does want the princess to return.
- Rapid Aging: Inverted; he becomes visibly younger as the film progresses. When we first meet him, he moves as if his joints are stiff; by the film's end, his movement is quite normal.
- Time Abyss: He's so old, his true names can only be pronounced by "the wind and the trees."
Three fairies that are friends with the Faun.
The Pale Man
Played By: Doug Jones
A child eating monster.
King & Queen of the Underworld
Played By: Federico Luppi & Ariadna Gil
A plant "that dreamed of being human." The Faun gives it to Ofelia in order to help cure her mom.