Characters: My Babysitter's a Vampire
open/close all folders
Portrayed by: Matthew Knight
Ethan Morgan just wants to be a normal high school student, continue his unbroken streak on the honor roll, and maybe, just maybe, impress his beautiful babysitter and best friend, Sarah. But two things are making that almost impossible: the constant paranormal chaos of Whitechapel, and his best friend, Benny. Luckily, Ethan has his visions to prepare him for the excitement that's sure to find them in Whitechapel.
- Action Survivor
- Afraid of Needles
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: At least until he has to dress up like one.
- Badass: At times.
- Batman Gambit: Uses's this to provoke Vice Principal Stern into absorbing the Lucifractors power, possibly killing Stern in the process.
- Deal with the Devil: Ethan offering a pint of his blood to nurse vampires, in exchange for Rory and Erica.
- Genre Savvy
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Benny.
- Hollywood Nerd: Type II.
- Kissing Cousins: To his credit, he didn't know.
- Mistaken for Gay: Happened once after his dad walks in on Ethan's web chat with Benny.
- Official Couple: With Sarah, by the time of season two finales, but like most of the finale, it's not all that clear. And even the writers and cast are not even sure. Mike Kiss (a writer on the show) says that while they are not a couple at the end of the season 2 finale, he agrees with Vanessa Morgan (Sarah) that Ethan and Sarah have progressed to more than friends. Whatever that means. So yeah, nothings clear.
- Seers: It's insinuated in The Movie that that it's a familial trait, so his children might have the same gift.
- As of the end of Season 2, Ethan's powers have evolved to outright Telepathy by touch.
- Ship Tease: With Sarah, ALL THE TIME!
- Socially-Awkward Hero: And HOW!!!
- Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious: Has a rare blood type that is especially appealing to vampires, as revealed in Blood Drive.
- Teen Genius
Portrayed by: Vanessa Morgan
Sarah was a soft spoken member of the Dusk fan club, until she met up with a real-life fang-boy named Jesse and her life changed forever. Now she's a feisty fledgling: half-vampire, half-human, and forever struggling to find the best of both worlds. When Sarah fell into babysitting Jane and Ethan Morgan, the later who became one of her best friends, she had no idea she'd end up protecting them from werewolves, ghosts, zombies, demons, witches and a rotating roster of bloodsuckers (including some of her best friends)!
- Action Girl
- But Not Too Black: Soundly averted, and in fact, is never, ever brought up.
- Cool Big Sis: To Jane
- Cursed with Awesome
- Cute Little Fangs
- Declaration of Protection: Sarah's feelings towards Ethan, when danger arises. Subverted in Friday Night Frights, when she tells him that she can't fight a ghost, and specifically invoked by Sarah in Welcome Back Dusker.
- Demonic Possession: In Three Geeks and a Demon.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire
- Gasshole: Learned the hard way what happens to vampires that drink too much blood.
- Genre Savvy: Not as much as Ethan, Benny, and Rory, but she's starting to pick up on things.
- Girl Next Door: It's right there in the theme song.
- Heartbroken Badass: As of the end of the season one finale. She gets better, though.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Erica, Best Friends Forever, Forever.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: What Sarah says about Ethan. She's fooling absolutely no one. One memorable denial:
Fine, maybe the one we want is your little vampire hunter boyfriend. Sarah
: Leave him alone! Leave me alone! Unless you want to see some vampire on vampire attacks right now! Beat Sarah:
And he's not my boyfriend!
- I Hate You, Vampire Ex-Boyfriend
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Sarah's greatest fear, as demonstrated in Independence Daze.
- Ms. Fanservice
- No Last Name Given: Her actress, however, has stated that if she could choose Sarah's last name, it would be Fox.
- Official Couple: With Ethan at the end of season two. But it's not clear. And even the writers and cast are not even sure. Mike Kiss (a writer on the show) says that while they are not a couple at the end of the season 2 finale, he agrees with Vanessa Morgan (Sarah) that Ethan and Sarah have progressed to more than friends. Whatever that means. So yeah, nothings clear.
- Ship Tease: With Ethan, ALL THE TIME!
- Vampire Refugee
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Sarah's view on being a vampire. Half the season is her trying to find a way to regain her humanity through magical means. Other vampires actually taunt her on this, with one vampire specifically mentioning that she'll probably forget about Ethan and Benny after a couple of centuries, and Sarah herself saying that they will move on, get married and live fulfilling lives, while she will be 17 forever.
Portrayed by: Atticus Mitchell
Benny Weir has been Ethan's louder, goofier best friend since they were both six years old. His grandmother, an earth priestess, informs Benny that he has the power to use magic. While he is just as brave and strategically clever as his pal, Benny admits that in his case it only applies to video games. Benny's dream is to one day make it big as a sorcerer, paranormal expert, and babe magnet.
Portrayed by: Cameron Kennedy
Rory is...well, Rory. He's the kind of guy even other geeks call a geek. And no matter how odd Ethan and Benny can be, Rory still manages to be the odd man out. Even becoming a vampire "demon of the night" failed to make Rory cooler or more popular. But it does mean he has more time to stay up late and try to beat his solo marshmallow eating record. One day Rory plans to prove to the world (especially the female population) how totally awesome he is. Until then he's just hoping his parents don't find out he is undead— they'd kill him!
Portrayed by: Kate Todd
Erica is a huge fan of the movie Dusk. As former president of the Dusk fan club, Erica spent a long time dreaming of a more romantic, more popular life where she could be confident, powerful and the envy of all. One bite is all it took for her to achieve her dream, and now Erica is enjoying every second of her life as a full fledged vampire. Deep down she's still the "good girl" she once was, but ever since she got her fangs it's just so much FUN being bad. Lucky for her Sarah is not giving up on her BFF.
Portrayed by: Laura DeCarteret
Samantha Morgan is a fun-loving, supportive mom to Ethan and Jane, and she'll do whatever she can to keep her kids happy. But lately she seems to spend more time than ever just trying to figure out what the heck is going on! The house is getting mysteriously trashed almost every other week. Ethan's excuses are getting increasingly bizarre, and even Jane acts as if there's a whole other world only she knows about. Oh, well— as long as everyone seems to be having a good time.
Portrayed by: Ari Cohen
When Ross Morgan isn't taking cookery/dancing/archery lessons with his wife, he sells insurance— which oddly enough is something people in Whitechapel seem to need a lot of. You just never know what's going to go wrong in this town. Ross is a proud father to Ethan and Jane, even though he doesn't always understand his son's geeky hobbies. But that doesn't stop Ethan's dad from trying to connect with his boy, though he'll probably never understand why his son seems to need a new microscope and a pound of garlic every other week.
Portrayed by: Ella Jonas Farlinger
Jane Morgan is Ethan's little sister. Ethan insists that she's the one who needs a babysitter, but Jane doesn't miss a trick. Her father calls her "enterprising," and for good reason. Jane knows exactly how to get what she wants out of her family, Ethan in particular. She has a certain talent for magic, though her inexperience and lack of formal training cause her unsupervised spells to have less-than-desirable results.
Portrayed by: Joan Gregson
Benny's grandma and an Earth Priestess (a witch on the side of good).
- Adults Are Useless: Pretty much the only adult that averts this, aside from the villainous adults.
- Cool Old Lady
- Genre Savvy
- Glory Days: Touches upon this in the movie, when she says that after living in Whitechapel for almost a century, one learns a few things.
- I Was Quite a Looker
- The Mentor: On many things, especially in the "The Date To End All Dates (Part 2) when telling Ethan and Sarah that regardless of the teenage stuff going on that they care about each other and that Ethan want's to protect Sarah most of all.
- No Name Given: Up until Independence Daze.
- Stealth Mentor: Qualifies as of Independence Daze, considering that she sent Benny, Ethan, and Sarah into alternate dimensions to face their individual worst fears, all to teach them a lesson about working together.
Portrayed by: Hrant Alianak
The principal at Whitechapel High School.
Portrayed by: Ryan Blakely
A teacher at Whitechapel High School.
Portrayed by: Addison Holley
A new character introduced in Season 2. She's a little girl vampire who leads the Vampire Council.
Horace "Jesse" Black
Portrayed by: Joe Dinicol
Sarah's vampire ex-boyfriend who sired her against her wishes and the main villain of the Pilot Movie
. Back in the day, he was the leader of a vampiric cult that was wiped out centuries before.
He is a handsome and suave but sinister vampire whose charming smile hides a centuries-old secret. Not one to leave his fangs idle for long, Jesse has ambitious plans that he is determined to see succeed. With his considerable powers of persuasion, he hopes, one day, to control not only all of Whitechapel, but the spirited Sarah as well. Comes back from the dead at the end of Season 1 and, through a Sadistic Choice, forces Sarah to become a full-fledged vampire. Sometime afterwards, he is kicked out of Whitechapel by the Vampire Council. Returns again in the Season 2 finale, this time, as an ally.
Cloaked Man/ Vice Principal Stern
Portrayed by: Richard Waugh
The Big Bad
of Season 2. The Cloaked Man is a powerful mage with a grudge against all vampires, good or evil.
First appeared in his cloaked persona
in Independence Daze,
though he was also responsible for the events of an earlier episode, Welcome Back Dusker
. He is eventually revealed to be Vice Principal Stern, who comes from a long line of powerful wizards. 200 years prior, his ancestor once tried to destroy every vampire in Whitechapel, but was stopped by Jesse. Stern ultimately schemes to reenact his ancestor's plans.