Characters: Hotel Dusk: Room 215
This the the character page for the Hotel Dusk: Room 215
video game. The character page for the sequel, Last Window
, is here
. Note that the main and recurring character entries are duplicated; trope entries should go on the page of the game in which they appear.
Main and Recurring Characters
An ex-NYPD-detective-turned-salesman who works for Ed Vincent at the Red Crown company. A bit of a Jerkass
and most certainly a First-Person Smartass
, Kyle is searching for his partner Brian Bradley, who went missing after he double-crossed NYPD and Kyle shot him. He stays in room 215.
A mysterious young woman who shows up at Hotel Dusk after Kyle passes her on the way there. Nobody seems to know what she's looking for, and the fact she can't talk doesn't help matters.
- Cute Mute - Until chapter 9.
- Mysterious Waif
- Woman in White
- Broken Bird - Oh so very much. Witnesses her friend get kidnapped by a complete stranger at the age of nine, brutally struck by said person and put into a coma, wakes up ten years later as a mute, searches for her father for six months with no sense of direction, and passes out again in the same room where her friend was kidnapped, this time being unable to breathe and narrowly avoiding death. And for all of her trouble, what does she learn? That her father may have been killed by Kyle's partner in the heat of rage when he came to visit her, as revenge for killing his own sister whose name was also Mila. Poor girl. For all of the crap she went through, there's no argument that she deserved a happy ending, either with Kyle or Rosa.
Kyle's boss at Red Crown and a friend of his father. Ed is blunt and to the point, and has plenty of connections that let him know exactly what's going on most of the time.
Ed's secretary and a friend of Kyle's.
Hotel Dusk Characters
Dunning Smith / Marcel Osterzone
The hotel's owner who hates both criminals and cops. He's generally friendly (if a bit dishonest and grumpy) but get on his bad side and it's Game Over for you. He also likes hockey. He's also the painter Osterzone, and together with Robert Evans he created the painter as a fake persona, pretending Osterzone is a long-dead painter.
- Big Bad: Technically serves this role. He's not really that bad a guy, but the actual villains, Nile, are the Bigger Bad.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Started a scam with Robert Evans by creating the identity of Osterzone to sell his paintings. When he began to back out of it, Nile had his daughter Jenny kidnapped to force him into it.
- Dead Artists Are Better: The Osterzone scam maintains that he never had much fame until his death, when in actuality he didn't actually exist until his "death", since he's just Dunning.
- Game Over Man
- Karma Houdini: He's an overall nice man, but his locking Kyle in an airtight room is never addressed or condemned.
- Walking Spoiler: Most of his plot relevance only shows up near the end of the game.
- You Lose at Zero Trust
Hotel Dusk's only maid. She is very talkative and often complains that she is the only hard-working one in the hotel, which is pretty true. She's also a great chef.
- The Cameo - She appears on a photo along with her husband in Another Code R.
- Catch Phrase - "Busy, busy, busy" and "land's sake." The latter may have something to do with her husband being a sailor.
- Collector of the Strange - She collects autographs.
- Horrible Judge of Character - Averted, she's great at judging people, if a bit quick to jump on conclusions. However, Kyle makes her out to be one to keep her from finding out about Louie's past.
- I Was Quite a Looker
- Mama Bear - She gets really protective of Mila, and won't hesitate to chase Kyle off if she thinks he's bothering her. Imagine if she were ever in real danger.
- Only Sane Man - Of the hotel staff.
- Supreme Chef
A former pickpocket who has turned straight and works as the only bellhop in the hotel. His main interests are flirting with ladies and avoiding work. Throughout the game he pops up and helps Kyle a lot. He's also Italian and hates disco music.
- The Bartender - The only job he likes to do - and is actually very good at.
- Big Damn Hero - He saves Kyle's life in chapter 10.
- Butt Monkey - Probably takes the most crap from various characters in the game... as well as the universe in general.
- The Cameo - He can be seen in a photo together with a yet-unidentified man who may be Martin Summer in Another Code 2.
- Catch Phrase - He uses the word "trip" a lot.
- Chivalrous Pervert - Though he backs off real quick when we learn that Mila is essentially 9 - and tells him 'no.'
- Loveable Ex Pickpocket
- Nice Guy - Helpful, funny, and with some surprising Hidden Depths of empathy and understanding.
- Reformed Criminal - Although Rosa and Dunning don't know about his past.
- Side Kick - He doesn't follow Kyle 24/7 like Maya Fey does to Phoenix Wright, but he is quite helpful and at least calls Kyle his partner, since they are both looking for Bradley.
A surgeon who comes to Hotel Dusk with his daughter, Melissa. His wife left him some time ago.
- Back-Alley Doctor - He was accused and successfully sued for malpractice. Whether that means he actually committed it is up to the player to decide, although Kevin says he didn't.
Kevin's daughter, a young girl who misses her mother, even if she can be a brat sometimes.
An enigmatic woman in her twenties who thinks highly of herself and not so highly of others. She's actually Grace's sister, Kevin's sister-in-law, and Melissa's aunt
A polite old woman who comes to Hotel Dusk to stay in room 215 in the hopes of having her wish come true. She is Alan's mother
A best-selling novelist in his fifties who is staying at Hotel Dusk to receive a package for him. Since his first blockbuster novel, he's fallen on hard times, with each of his books selling worse than the last. Sometime after the events of Hotel Dusk
and Last Window
, he writes a number of columns about his time at Hotel Dusk and adapts Kyle's time at Cape West in Last Window
into a novel.
Jeff Angel (Jeff Damon)
Obnoxious and self-centered, Jeff is a college student who stops at Hotel Dusk after picking up Mila on the side of the road. He tends to try and act as though he's a lot more in charge of things than he really is.
Kyle's missing NYPD partner. While working on a case about the crime syndicate Nile, Bradley betrayed the police, causing Kyle to tear up the city looking for him. When Kyle caught up with him at the docks, he shot Bradley, who fell into the river.
- The Chessmaster - Bradley orchestrated Kyle coming to Hotel Dusk in the first place, confident that Kyle would be brilliant enough to close the book on the hotel's many mysteries. He even left behind a good bye letter that he expected Kyle to find.
- Never Found the Body
Kevin's missing ex-wife.
Mila's father, the curator of Gallery May in Santa Monica.
A mysterious man whose name shows up on a decorative pen Summer owns.
A mysterious girl whose name keeps showing up around Hotel Dusk...