open/close all folders
The Fitzgerald Sisters (All three films)
Brigitte Fitzgerald (Emily Perkins)
The plainer younger sister of Ginger Fitzgerald. She is devoted to finding a cure for Ginger's werewolf condition, though she ends up killing her in self-defense. In the second movie she finds herself struggling with a werewolf curse of her own.A very similar girl also named Brigitte lived in the North American frontier in the early 1800s, and is one of the heroines in the "prequel" Ginger Snaps Back.
- Badass BoastGinger: You can't fight what's in us B.Brigitte: I'm not like you Ginger; I am stronger.Ginger: Funny, that's not how I remember the last fifteen years of your life.Brigitte: That's how I remember the last fifteen minutes of yours.
- Brainy Brunette: Has shown to be very clever and resourceful throughout the first two movies.
- Chosen One: In The Beginning. According to the Seer, it's up to her to decide whether to kill Ginger and sever the werewolf bloodline, or let Ginger kill her and allow the curse to plague the New World forever. Brigitte rejects both options, kills the Hunter instead and becomes a werewolf along with Ginger.
- Everyone Can See It: With Sam. Both Trina and Ginger lampshade this.
- I Hate You Werewolf Sister: Averted, Brigitte loves Ginger more than anyone else, even after she murders three people and is indirectly responsible for the deaths of two others.
- My God, What Have I Done?:
- After Ginger's death.
- To a lesser extent Tyler's death in the second movie.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Initially, at least. She quickly learns that death and the macabre aren't as great as she once thought.
- Perpetual Frowner: She only shows a real smile once in the entire series.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: In Ginger Snaps 2. This is partially because Brigitte had hit puberty by the beginning of the movie, but a lot of it also has to do with Emily Perkins persuading the director to have her wear tighter clothes and makeup while filming.
- Shrinking Violet: Brigitte is very shy, which becomes even more obvious after Ginger starts being more outgoing.
Ginger Fitzgerald (Katherine Isabelle)
Brigitte's older sister and best friend. She is obsessed with death and the macabre, and has over the years more or less shaped Brigitte into becoming like her. After being bitten by a werewolf in the woods the night she gets her first period, Ginger finds her body changing, and becomes sexier, more outgoing, and more violent.A very similar girl also named Ginger lived in the North American frontier in the early 1800s, and is one of the heroines in the "prequel" Ginger Snaps Back.
- Alpha Bitch: Starts to turn into one when she gets bitten.
- Drunk On The Darkside: At her early stages of the transformation.
- Fiery Redhead: Hell, look at the title of the movie.
- Knight Templar Big Sister: She is super protective of Brigitte, especially after she gets bitten, to the point of killing people that look at her little sister funny.
Characters in Ginger Snaps
Sam (Kris Lemche)A drug dealer who hangs around Brigitte and Ginger's high school. He helps Brigitte develop a cure for Ginger.
- The Ace: He is respected by the students at the high school. Probably because of his drug supply, but still...
- Brainy Brunette: Is shown to be a smart guy, using his knowledge of plants and werewolf lore into helping Brigitte try to find a cure for Ginger. This is especially interesting seeing as he and Brigitte just found out that werewolves exist.
- Everyone Can See It: Trina and Ginger think that Sam and Brigitte have a crush on each other.
Jason McCardy (Jesse Moss)Ginger's "boyfriend", a stereotypical cocky teenage boy who was infected through unprotected sex with Ginger. He is cured, but it turns out to be just temporary in the second movie. Maybe.
- Body Horror: This is a werewolf movie, but we don't see how far he transforms.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Acts like one to Ginger.
- What Have I Become?: His reaction when he realizes there's something wrong with him.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Given the reveal that Monkshood isn't a real cure, Fridge Horror dictates that he became a werewolf himself. Some speculate he's the male werewolf in the second movie, but Word of God suggests that's not the case.
- Would Hurt a Child: Nearly does this before Brigitte injects him with Monkshood.
Trina Sinclair (Danielle Hampton)Ginger and Brigitte's constant bully, who, despite her rude behavior, is very popular among the other students of Bailey Downs High. You can tell what happens to a character like her.
- Alpha Bitch: Ironically, she is not a werewolf.
- Karma Houdini: Never got punished by the teachers for bullying the Fitzgerald sisters. Ginger takes matters into her own hands.
- Missing White Woman Syndrome: After her death.
Pamela Fitzgerald (Mimi Rogers)Ginger and Brigitte's overly perky mother. She mistakes Ginger's transformations for normal changes during puberty. She's also a little bit crazy, to the point where she finds Trina's dead body, and even plans on burning down their house and run away with them.
- Adult Fear: When she discovers Trina's body.
- Mama Bear: Willing to break the law to ensure her daughters safety. In one of the deleted scenes, she turns herself in as the killer of Trina Sinclair so that her daughters won't get arrested.
Henry Fitzgerald (John Bourgeois)The sisters' father. He really isn't all that involved in their lives, although he seems to notice that what's happening to his daughters isn't normal.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sarcasticlly questions his wife when he notices the girls are suddenly interested in what she has to say.
- Weirdness Censor: He does notice something is going on with Ginger, but having raised the girls, he thinks what's happening is normal.
Mr. Wayne (Peter Kelegahn)The school's guidance councilor. He is confused by the Ginger and Brigitte's antics, and like the others don't understand them. He is Ginger's first human victim not counting Trina.
- The Scapegoat: In a deleted scene, the Fitzgerald sisters get out of trouble when they threaten to accuse him of molesting Ginger.
The Beast of Bailey DownsThe werewolf that terrorized Bailey Downs before Ginger. He was the one that bit her, and was run over by Sam shortly after. Not much is known about him, but it's sometimes hinted in the prequel and sequel that Bailey Downs is home to many, many werewolves.
- Chunky Salsa Rule: Blasted by a speeding van.
Characters in Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed
Ghost (Tatiana Maslany)An odd little girl Brigitte befriends in the second movie. She lives in a rehab clinic/hospital with her grandmother, who is a patient. She finds out Brigitte is a werewolf and tries to help her out. She even helps her escape the clinic. It also turns out she put her grandmother in the hospital in the first place, and is planning to use Brigitte to kill her "enemies".
- Big Bad: Of the second movie. She is the final antagonist of the movie, and throughout the movie has been planning to use Brigitte to kill people she doesn't like.
- Enemy Mine: Even after her true nature is revealed, she, Brigitte and Alice still fight the werewolf stalking Brigitte.
- Karma Houdini: For now, but it doesn't look like another movie is being made anytime soon.
- Replacement Goldfish: Brigitte starts to treat her like the sister she lost.
- Troubling Unchild Like Behavior: Throughout the movie, she has an irrational obsession with comics, fantasy, and has a tendency to narrate to herself, out loud. And that was all before we find out she tried to burn her grandmother alive and is planing on feeding her to a werewolf.
- The Unfought: Somewhat Averted, as she does help fight the werewolf during the climax, but Brigitte's attempt to confront her was cut short by the werewolves attack.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Pulls this one near the end of the second movie.
Tyler (Eric Johnson)A corrupt worker at the rehab clinic. He sells the patients drugs in exchange for sex. He tries to pull this stunt on Brigitte, but naturally it doesn't work. On the other hand, he behaves altruistically towards Brigitte and Ghost on many occasions, so it's hard to judge him. He was killed by the mysterious male werewolf, shortly after being framed of rape by Ghost.
- Affably Evil: He sells drugs to the patients in exchange for sexual favors, but he gets legitimately concerned for Brigitte when her lycanthropy begins to advance and seems to have a legitimate and platonic affection for Ghost
- Asshole Victim: Kind of Subverted; he was an asshole, but he is killed for the wrong reason, and when he gets killed he was starting to lighten up.
- Evil Counterpart: In comparison, he is a darker meaner version of Sam. Adding to irony, Sam's a drug dealer and Tyler works for a rehab.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Zig-Zags between this and Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Really Gets Around: At the expense of the rehabilitation progress of the clinic patients.
Alice Severson (Janet Kiddler)The director of the rehab clinic Brigitte was placed in. She doesn't know that much about her, but is concerned that Brigitte is poisoning herself due to her Monkshood addiction.
- Badass Normal: As seen at the climax.
- The Dreaded: Justified, she is a rehab director, and almost all the girls in the clinic are still taking drugs.
- Genre Savvy: What does she do when a werewolf breaks in? She hides from it and even opens fire at it.
Unknown WerewolfA male werewolf that stalks Brigitte throughout the movie. He intends to mate with her and really doesn't take no for an answer. His true identity is never revealed.
- The Determinator: Will stalk Brigitte anywhere, and kill anyone who tries to help her.
- The Heavy: He's the one who Brigitte is on the run from throughout the movie and an enemy of the Big Bad (Ghost).
Characters in Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning
The Hunter (Nathaniel Arcand)An aboriginal werewolf hunter in Fort Bailey. He is determined to make sure that Ginger and Brigitte pull through to fulfill a prophecy he heard as a boy.
- Mr. Fanservice: Gets a shirtless scene.
- Not So Stoic: The look on his face when Brigitte stabs him says it all.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Strongly believes this, but he is killed instead of Ginger.
Wallace Rowlands (Tom McCamus)The leader of Fort Bailey, which is constantly under siege of werewolves. One of them kills his wife and infects his son, whom he keeps hidden in the fort.
- Jerk Ass: less so than the Reverend or Sergeant James, but on balance he probably falls into this trope
- Pet the Dog: Does this with his son, Brigitte and Ginger.
Reverend Gilbert (Hugh Dillon)The resident preacher at Fort Bailey, a fanatical religious zealot. He is distrustful of the sisters, seeing them as evil. His paranoia is intensified by the constant werewolf attacks on the fort.
- Kill It with Fire: Tries to do this to Brigitte. It's also what killed him.
- Villainous Breakdown: Has one near the end of the movie.
James (JR Bourne)A veteran of the War of 1812, and the Sergeant Major of Fort Bailey. He is less paranoid about the sisters, but is enough of a jerk that he attacks them anyway, simply for being out at night.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With the reverend.
- Deadpan Snarker:Reverend Gilbert: He's turned.James: Turned ugly.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: JR Bourne now stars as a werewolf hunter in Teen Wolf.
- Jerk Ass: If not for the Reverend, he would easily be the most assholish character in the movie
Geffory Rowlands (Stevie Mitchell)Wallace's son, who was bitten by werewolf that killed his mother. To avoid being killed, Wallace hides him in his house.
- Pet the Dog: Gets this treatment from both Wallace and Ginger.