Breed: Akita Inu
Voiced by: Eiko Yamada (GNG), Hiroki Tochi (GDW)The protagonist of the series and Riki’s son. At just one week old he witnesses his father thrown into a crevice by Akakabuto, presumably killing him. Takeda Gohei, Riki's owner, swears revenge and from there on trains Gin to become his next bear hound.Gin returns in Ginga Densetsu Weed, where he is Weed's father and Older and Wiser compared to his younger self.
- A Boy and His X: With Daisuke.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Subverted in the first series where his fur is a gray silver. Played straight in the sequels where his fur is blue like his son Weed.
- But Now I Must Go: Leaves Daisuke and the rest of his life behind in episode 8 to join the pack travelling across Japan in search for strong dogs to defeat Akakabuto with.
- Berserker Tears: When he fights Moss, believing he killed Ben. Also towards Akakabuto at the climax battle.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Especially apparent when he picks up Moss the 200 pounds Mastiff like it’s nothing and slams him to the ground. Gets even worse later on when he... somehow, manages to grab Benizakura (guy almost the size of a bull) and jump with him several feet into the air as if the latter was a feather.
- Chekhov's Skill: His harsh underwater training comes in handy when he's fighting Kurotora, whose breed's only weakness is water.
- Comforting Comforter: He covers a sleeping Daisuke with a blanket before leaving with the Ohu soldiers.
- Coming-of-Age Story: Nagareboshi Gin is told from the day he’s born to the day he becomes the leader of the Twin Pass.
- The Determinator
- Distressed Dude:
- He is nearly killed by Sniper at one point and only survives because Smith saves him.
- Later he’s almost killed by Sniper again, this time indirectly saved by Daisuke, the collar he gave him fooling Sniper into snapping that instead of his neck.
- In Ginga Densetsu Weed, he, along with John and Hiro, were captured by Hougen and tortured. In the anime, he is rescued by Akame along with Kyoshiro, while in the manga he was motivated by the ghosts of John and Smith and managed to escape the prison by himself despite his injury.
- Handicapped Badass: Due to his age and his injuries sustained from the battles against Hougen and later Victor, his sight was weakened and suffered a light stroke. It didn't stop him from fighting and temporarily taking the leader position when Weed was away, though.
- Heroic Second Wind: When fighting Sniper.
- Heroic Willpower: When he pulls Daisuke out from a crevice the latter falls into, letting all of Daisuke’s weight rest on his tiny puppy body while holding onto the rope pulling them up. It got the point his collar tore into his throat and made him unable to breath, yet he refused to let go.
- A Hero Is Born: His introduction in the first episode.
- The Hero's Journey
- Instant Expert: Of the Battouga.
- Kid Hero
- The Leader: The Charismatic type.
- Legendary in the Sequel: In Densetsu Weed, he's the famous "Leader of Ohu" and has been for ten years. His son Weed need only tell the dogs he meets who his father is to cause a lot of either awe or chaos.
- Luke, You Are My Father: Tries to tell Riki this upon meeting him again, but the latter suffers from amnesia at this point and has no clue what he’s talking about.
- Meaningful Name: “Silver”
- Messianic Archetype: As Ben puts it, he sports a strong sense of justice and determination, which is what wins him strong loyalty as well as friendship with his comrades and eventually gives him the leader role. By the end of the anime (and the Akakabuto arc of the manga), he becomes the leader over more than one thousand dogs and the entire Twin Pass territory.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Had a moment of this after he killed Juga, complete with Tears of Remorse.
- Retired Badass: With his son Weed taking the position of the leader in the end of Hougen arc, he becomes this.
- Scars Are Forever: Suffers a blow from the first bear he and Daisuke fights, which gives him three permanent scars on his forehead.
- Unstoppable Rage: After witnessing Fuga being killed by Juga
- What Happened to the Mouse?: He's born with brindle fur (referred to as "tiger stripes" in-universe), which is what makes Daisuke recognize him as stronger and more valuable than his brothers. After three episodes have passed however, said stripes disappear and are never seen again.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: The reason Ben picks him to take over his platoon after the latter's handicap; he has a stronger sense of justice and determination than anyone else, despite only being an adolescent.
- You Don't Look Like You: A common complaint of the Densetsu Weed sequel is how his design changed from the silver fur and brown eyes to blue fur and blue eyes instead.
- You Killed My Father: Towards Akakabuto.
Breed: Akita Inu
Voiced by: Banjou GingaGin’s father and described as the strongest bear hound there is. He’s seemingly killed in the first episode while fighting Akakabuto, but is revealed to be alive later on, having established himself as “The Leader” over the dogs in Ohu, and gathers them to find as many strong dogs as possible to fight Akakabuto. He does not remember Gin or having a past life however.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Has red fur in the manga.
- A Father to His Men: Invoked when Gin calls him out for being his father. He suffers from Identity Amnesia at the time and takes the statement as Gin meaning he sees him as this trope, and proceeds to call the rest of the dogs his "children".
- All There in the Manual: Or at least in a short story. ‘’Ginga Densetsu Riki’’ is a manga-only prequel with six chapters, telling the story of his puppyhood.
- Badass Baritone: Banjo Ginga at his finest.
- Badass In Charge: The leader of Ohu, and the progenitor of the title.
- Badass in Distress: He's temporarily weakened after using the Battouga at one point which results in a surprise attack by Akakabuto's underlings burying him under a pile of timber. He lives however, and somehow gets his memories back following so.
- Big Good: As righteous as he is strong.
- Big Damn Heroes: In the manga, he saves John and an unconscious Daisuke from a bear.
- Came Back Strong: When he’s revealed to be alive, he looks twice as muscular as he did in the first episode, and has gathered dozens of dogs under his command, to which he’s their “great leader”.
- The Cameo: He appears as a ghost at the battle between Weed and Hougen in Densetsu Weed.
- Disney Death
- Dramatic Irony: He was the runt of his litter, strongly attached to his mother and cried easily. It wasn't until a bunch of rogue dogs pushed him into a corner while still a puppy that his "bear-hound blood awoke" and he showed what he was really capable of. Later he turned out the one of Shiro's pups that had inherited his father's genes the most.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": He’s simply known as “The Leader”.
- Final Speech"My son... You've won so don't cry. .. Celebrate! ... Howl for the honor of the dead... and celebrate with the survivors..."
- The Leader: The Mastermind type. Again, it’s even literally the name he goes by. Or more precisely “Boss”.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: He presumably suffered a blow to the head from his deep fall into a crevice, causing him to forget all about his past life with a human owner as well as mate and puppies. The only thing he remembered was his hatred for Akakabuto.
- Meaningful Name: "Strength". Although, he was actually the runt of his litter and was given the name so he’d have something to live up to, making it an Ironic Name to begin with.
- Momma's Boy: He was revealed to be this as a puppy in the prequel.
- One-Man Army
- Papa Wolf: In the first episode, he tries his best to protect Gin from Akakabuto.
- Rousing Speech: Has one about every time he's on screen.
- Scars Are Forever: Has an impressive set of them after all his bear battles.
- Single-Stroke Battle: He delivers this on John, much to the latter's surprise.
- Take Up My Sword: While dying from his wounds, he makes Gin the new leader.
- Undying Loyalty: Towards Gohei, as he demonstrates in both the first and last episode.
- Youngest Child Wins: Again, he was the runt.
Breed: German Shepherd
Voiced by: Hideyuki Hori (GNG), Toru Ohkawa (GDW)A skilled, but arrogant hunting dog who develops a certain rivalry with Gin upon his introduction.
- Anime Accent Absence: He comes from Europe and is given orders by Hidetoshi in English. Even so he speaks fluent Japanese.
- Break the Haughty: Loses his arrogance after being defeated by Riki. In the manga however, he continues to have an arrogant streak, just not to the same extent as before.
- Changed My Mind, Kid: Reunites with Gin and the pack in episode 13 after being delivered a Rousing Speech by Riki.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the sequel, he died fighting Hougen and his army in order to buy time for Hiro and Reika to escape.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: A haughty and ruthless hunting dog at first, but eventually reveals to Gin that his gaze had “swept him away” sometimes, and while they separate he wishes him a good life. Later he returns to join the pack, and develops a close friendship with Gin over time.
- The Rival: To begin with.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: He thinks “The Leader” and the dog pack are crazy for believing they can be stronger than human weapons, and leaves them to stay with his owner. As mentioned above however, he’s eventually convinced by Riki and decides to join them after all.
- You Don't Look Like You: A similar complaint along with Gin in the Densetsu Weed sequel, though in John's case they truthfully tried to make him look closer to how he did in the manga.
- Would Hurt a Child: Ruthlessly kills two innocent bear cubs which infuriates Gin.
Breed: Great Dane
Voiced by: Hideyuki Tanaka (GNG), Katsuhisa Hōki (GDW)The leader of the one of Riki’s platoons that Gin joins.
- Badass Pacifist: When it comes to other dogs, he doesn’t believe in killing or even seriously injuring anyone, but fights through either wearing his opponent out or delivering a brief attack to exemplify his strength. Even towards the traitor Hyena, all he does is briefly beat him up as punishment while allowing him to stay in the pack, consenting he’d rather forgive than kill. It’s only when facing Akakabuto that all morality is thrown out the window and he wants nothing more but to tear the bear apart.
- Battle Aura: Gets this when he prepares to fight Mosa.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Big Damn Heroes: He rescued the Kai Brothers from a rogue dog when they were puppies. This makes them remember him years later and agree to join the Ohu army.
- The Determinator: Even while going blind, he still insists on fighting Akakabuto to the point he scores first blood against him at the climax battle.
- Disney Death: Twice even.
- Handicapped Badass: Akame’s poisoning causes him to slowly go blind, yet he can still hold his own in a fight.
- Large and in Charge
- Made of Iron: Over the course of the series, he gets struck by a giant rock, poisoned, falls down a deep crevice and suffers several harsh blows from Akakabuto’s claws that any of the random dogs would have instantly bit the dust from, but is completely fine by the end of the day, save having damaged sight.
- The Men First: When the pack is poisoned in the Iga village, he refuses to eat the antidote until everyone else has.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: As mentioned above, when he and his pack gets poisoned, he refuses to take the antidote until everyone else has. Because of treating himself too late, the poison ends up slowly ruining his vision.
- Taking You with Me: Hurls himself along with Sniper off a cliff in order to attempt this. They both live however as they fall into a river.
- You Are in Command Now: Makes Gin the leader of his platoon when going blind, even though Gin is an adolescent at the time. Justified as he’s every inch of a Kid Hero.
Voiced by: Toshiko Fujita (GNG), Keiko Mizutani (GDW)The only female in Ben’s platoon, possibly in the entire pack.
- Action Girl
- Action Mom: In the manga. In the anime, she does not fight again after she becomes pregnant.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the manga, she has white fur, but for whatever reason her fur is cyan in the anime adaption of the first series. Her fur is white in both anime and manga of the sequel series though.
- Berserk Button: She apparently hates having her past life with puppies brought up, as Ben finds out the hard way, so to speak.
- Broken Pedestal: She had once hunted Akakabuto along with her owner and several other dogs, to which she was the only survivor while said owner had abandoned them all and run away in fear, despite her having fiercely protected him. This action of his caused her to lose her trust in humans completely.
- Chickification: Eventually becomes pregnant with Ben’s pups and stays completely out of the final battle.
- Disney Death: Falls down a cliff when attempting to save Kurojaki’s puppy, but is shortly after revealed to have survived.
- Dog Stereotype: Being the only female, her breed is a very feminine-looking one.
- Informed Attribute: Very little about her resembles a Saluki.
- Mama Bear: When witnessing Wilson losing Kurojaki’s puppy down a cliff due to the latter’s interference, she immediately jumps in to grab it and falls down with it, upon returning explains that she can withstand sorrow and hate, but not a crying child.
- Pregnant Badass: To a degree. She swims an ocean to reach Gin, and runs with the pack for many miles while pregnant.
- Through a Face Full of Fur: Blushes in both instances where her pregnancy is revealed.
Breed: French Spaniel
Voiced by: Kyouko Tonguu (GNG), Ryusei Nakao (GDW)Another leader in Ben’s platoon. Next to John, he becomes one of Gin’s best friends.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Acts like the comic relief most of the time, but is a capable fighter none the less.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Towards Cross (in manga only).
- Handicapped Badass: In Densetsu Weed, he becomes this after losing his right front leg when saving GB from getting hit by a truck.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In the sequel, he intentionally makes the cave around him and Kaibutsu collapse in an attempt to kill the mutant dog. Unfortunately it turns out a Senseless Sacrifice.
- I Ate WHAT?!: Along with Hyena, he's understandably disgusted to learn that the meat given by the Kouga clan that he almost swallowed was dog meat.
- Plucky Comic Relief
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Makes a rather unnecessary sexist remark towards Cross in the anime.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: Stays out of the climax battle because of an injury dealt to him earlier.
Breed: Doberman Pinscher
Voiced by: Kouji YadaRiki's general, who's really a traitor seeking out to become the sole leader of the Twin Pass.
- Absurdly Sharp Claws: Kills Lloyd by clawing his head.
- Artificial Limbs: In the sequel, he has metal legs that replaced his damaged rear legs.
- Body Horror: In the sequel, his partially deformed face which is covered under a metal mask.
- Death by Adaptation: His last appearance in the anime is of him falling down a cliff along with Ben, which would have you believe he dies. In the manga, he survives, and lives well and on up until the sequel, if anything having had his damaged hind legs replaced with metal substitutes.
- Dog Stereotype: An evil Doberman.
- Finishing Move: Biting into his opponent's throat until they choke or he snaps their neck. He nearly kills Gin twice this way.
- Handicapped Badass: See Artificial Limbs above.
- Humiliation Conga: Suffers this through Gin’s Heroic Second Wind, suddenly being easily dodged by him, flunged around like a ragdoll and stabbed onto a branch through his collar, leaving him to hang there as he angrily shouts for someone to get him down.
- Meaningful Name: Self-proclaimed “never misses my target”.
- Manipulative Bastard: Manages to pit Ben and Moss against each other, and later does nearly the same with Gin’s platoon and the mountain dogs on Shikoku.
- The Starscream: Claims he wants to take over the Twin Pass.
- You Have Failed Me: Kills Hyena when witnessing his act of saving Ben.
Voiced by: Juji MatsudaOne of the dogs in Ben’s platoon, who’s really a traitor working for Sniper.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Loses control of his bladder after being confronted by Kurojaki's ninja clan.
- Dirty Coward
- I Ate WHAT?!: Along with Smith, going a step further as he proceeds to throw up.
- Hazy Feel Turn: He leaves Sniper at one point and tries to get on good terms with Ben's pack again, however, it's implied to just be out of fear for Sniper, and he remains a Dirty Coward that runs away when the dogs are about to face Akakabuto's guard bears.
- Meaningful Name: Hyenas are usually not considered pleasent animals.
- The Mole: Works for Sniper as a spy.
- Redemption Equals Death: When witnessing Ben throwing himself and Sniper off a cliff, Hyena curses his cowardly self for not having helped Ben, and promptly leaps down the cliff with Berserker Tears to follow them. In the manga, all three of them end up in a river where Hyena proceeds to save Ben from drowning. Unfortunately, Sniper kills him shortly after for this.
Akatora, Chutora and Kurotora
Breed: Kai Ken
Voiced by: Kouji Totani, Kozo Shioya and Ryouichi Tanaka (Tadashi Miyazawa in GDW) respectively.Three brothers described by Ben to be as strong as a hundred soldiers between them.Only Kurotora returns in Ginga Densetsu Weed.
- Achilles' Heel: Kai Ken's in-universe are described as bad swimmers. Gin takes advantage of this by pushing Kurotora into a lake and defeats him by dragging him underwater.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the manga and the anime adaption of the sequel, the Kai brothers has white fur underbelly, but in the anime adaption of the first series, they have the same color covering their entire bodies.
- Badass Adorable: They were abandoned in the wilderness as puppies, but when the first predator, a large snake, came by to eat them, they attacked and ate the snake instead, and continued to hunt and fend for themselves up until adulthood, with some help from Ben.
- Eye Scream: Kurotora got his right eye torn out by a killer dog as a puppy.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Akatora gives his life to blind Akakabuto completely in the final battle.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: All of them. They’re extremely hostile to Ben’s pack at first and violently fights him, Gin and Cross. Once they realize Ben is the one who saved their lives while they were puppies however, they immediately apologize and willingly joins him.
- Meaningful Name: “Red Tiger”, “Middle Tiger” and “Black Tiger”
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Chutora is offended to learn he was fighting a female.
- Power Trio
- I Owe You My Life: They had once been attacked by a dangerous dog which was about to kill Kurotora in front of them when Ben suddenly appeared and chased it away, and he had continued to come and check on them several times afterwards. They’re more than happy to join him in gratitude for this.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Chutora never appear in Ginga Densetsu Weed as he's been confirmed to be dead. How he died is unknown.
Breed: English Mastiff
Voiced by: Daisuke Gouri (GNG), Shirō Saitō (GDW)A dog the Kai brothers frequently fought over territory with. They want to settle things with him before following Ben.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Not with himself, but he refuses to join Ben if all he can do is talk; he’ll only follow someone who’s able to beat him in a fight. Ben does this with ease.
- The Big Guy
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Played with. He’s introduced as antagonistic, and becomes furious when being tricked into thinking Ben’s platoon killed his son. He’s eventually shown to be a good guy however (and his son lives as well).
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Large and in Charge: Something like twice the size of Ben.
- Papa Wolf: To Jaguar and later Chibi.
- Parental Substitute: To Chibi after Kurojaki dies.
Breed: Kishu Inu
Voiced by: Michihiro Ikemizu (GNG), Takashi Matsuyama (GDW)A dog Ben met while he had an owner. He seeks him out in order to recruit him, but they’re instead tricked into believing he’s turned himself and his pack into cannibals.
- The Atoner: Ben’s owner had once caged him after being impressed by his jumping abilities, intending to train him for a hunting dog, but he had pleaded for Ben to help him break out. Because of that, and accidentally poisoning Ben and his pack, he swears he’ll do anything for him in amends, and also “be his eyes” once it turns out Ben's going blind from the poison.
- Gratuitous Ninja
- Made of Iron: He gets scythed in the neck by Kurojaki, yet brushes it off like nothing a few minutes later.
- Meaningful Name: "Red Eyes"
Breed: Unknown. Possibly a Shikoku Inu.
Voiced by: Kouji NakataThe leader of a cannibal pack, and an enemy of Akame. His underlings tricks Ben into believing Akame’s pack are the cannibals.
- Arch-Enemy: To Akame.
- Arc Villain
- Cutlass Between the Teeth: Carries a sickle when he fights.
- Driven to Suicide: Coupled with Honor Before Reason. When Akame burns down their ancient “sacred master’s” home, he claims it was his only reason to live and jumps into the flames, followed by his pack.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Genuinly cares for his kid, proven by his Berserk Button being pushed when believing he’s dead.
- Eye Scream: Gin manages to turn his own sickle against him, resulting in it stabbing out his right eye.
- Gratuitous Ninja
- I'm a Humanitarian: The canine equivalent.
- Manipulative Bastard: Pits Ben and Akame against each other, making both believe the other is a cannibal, which results in Akame nearly killing off Ben’s entire pack with poisonous thistles.
- Meaningful Name: “Black Demon”
- Self-Disposing Villain: As mentioned above.
Breed: Tosa Inu
Voiced by: Takeshi AonoA retired fighting dog described as the strongest dog in the world.
- Adrenaline Makeover: After his fight with Gin to which he’s left with the upper hand, he tells Gin that he hasn't felt that excited in years and that what is left of his life, he will give to Gin.
- Badass Grandpa: He’s about 10 years old which equals old age for a dog.
- Retired Badass: He was a champion fighting dog.
- Fluffy the Terrible: His name means "Crimson Cherry Blossom".
- Heroic Sacrifice: Gives his life to drown Mosa in a lake along with himself.
- In-Series Nickname: The loss of his ears caused people to call him "The Sea Beast".
- Not Too Dead to Save the Day: At the battle between Weed and Hougen in the Densetsu Weed manga, he appears as a ghost along with many others. At one point, Hougen grabs a hold of Weed to which Benizakura's ghost manifests himself around Weed, giving Hougen such a bad fright he's forced to let go.
- The Rival: He had been an unbeatable champion dog until he faced one called Tsunarashi, to which the brutal fight between them turned out a tie. Benizakura wouldn’t accept it and trained hard for years until he could face him again, only to find that the retired Tsunarashi had lost his sight and was being used as a punching bag for young fighting dogs. This infuriated Benizakura, causing him to kill the young dogs while leaving Tsunarashi alone, before retiring from being a fighting dog himself.
- World's Strongest Man: Or World's Strongest Dog in this case, as he is described as such. Seeing as he was able to grab a massive bear by its neck and flip it over, the term is well earned.
Voiced by: Chika SakamotoGin’s original owner. A headstrong and determined 12-year old who loves dogs, but also has a brattish streak to him.He returns in Ginga Densetsu Weed as an adult, and is also the one giving names to Gin's grandchildren, Weed's puppies, in Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion.
- A Boy and His X
- Adaptation Distillation: He keeps having recurring appearances in the manga after Gin leaves with the pack. In the anime, he more or less disappears.
- Back for the Finale: Arrives at the final battle once it’s nearing its end in Akakabuto arc.
- Badass Adorable
- Bratty Half-Pint: Usually towards Gohei and Hidetoshi.
- Catapult Nightmare: In the manga, when he dreams that the missing Gohei ends up shooting Riki so he can feed off his dog's meat to survive. What actually happens is a bit different.
- Decoy Protagonist: The beginning of the series would have you believe he’s the main character in a story centering around his and Gin’s adventures together. Then Genre Shift comes along and turns out Gin’s the main character.
- The Determinator: Swears that with Gohei being hospitalized, he will train Gin in his stead and defeat Akakabuto himself, to which he trains for several weeks, becoming a Pint-Sized Powerhouse and skilled archer.
- My God, What Have I Done?: When he kills a literal Mama Bear who just tried to protect her cubs.
- Only One Name: Until Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion where we learn his family name, Fujiwara.
- Out of Focus: After Gin leaves in episode 8, he’s not seen again until near the end.
Voiced by: Takeshi WatabeAn infamous bear hunter and dog trainer. He initially trains Gin before his old age takes its toll and he leaves the responsibility to Daisuke.
- The Alcoholic
- An Arm and a Leg: When he and Riki are trapped in a crevice while Akakabuto is roaming around above, he eventually makes the decision of chopping off half of his wounded leg in order to feed Riki the meat, giving him the strength to escape and run for help. Riki's too loyal to do it however.
- Back for the Finale: In the anime.
- Badass Grandpa
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Inverted. At the end of the manga, he dies of old age while hugging Gin.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: As far as dog training is concerned. His method of training bear-hounds consists of beating them in order to bring out their aggression, teach them to swim by having to dive underwater to get their food, and force them to eat bear meat (consists of a smell so intense "even adult hunting dogs are afraid of it"). In the manga, it’s mentioned that only 1 out of 10 of his dogs survives his training.
- Force Feeding: When trying to make Riki eat his meat. Later he forces Gin to eat bear meat, as part of the training.
- The Hunter
- Manly Tears: Cries these in the finale when Riki is dying.
- Out of Focus: Along with Daisuke.
- Pet the Dog: Literally after Gin saves Daisuke’s life in episode 3. He’s impressed to the point he pets Gin, shocking the others.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: He'll train bear-hounds till they become capable or die trying.
- Would Hurt a Child: Punches Daisuke when the latter tries to interfere with his training of Gin.
Voiced by: Hirotaka SuzuokiThe son of a local major killed by Akakabuto, and John’s owner. He returned from his global hunting trips to take revenge for his father, and eventually mentors Daisuke in archery. Also sports an arrogant personality.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Delivers one to Daisuke when trying to tell him off from pursuing Akakabuto.
- Back for the Finale: Though he only appears in the background.
- Break the Haughty: To a degree. He’s confident that he’s more than capable of killing Akakabuto himself with a modern rifle, but gets a dose of reality when he’s instead tricked into shooting the wrong bear and doesn’t even get a chance to fire against Akakabuto when he does arrive - and disappears again just as quickly.
- Clark Kent Outfit: Has an impressive set of muscles under his plain clothed appearance.
- Gratuitous English: When giving John commands.
- The Hunter
- Only One Name: Like Daisuke, we never learn his full name until Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion.
- You Killed My Father
An insane, man-eating bear, and the main antagonist of the Akakabuto arc.
- Animal Nemesis
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Due to being unable to hibernate, Akakabuto gets bigger and bigger until his size by far towers over other bears.
- Attack of the Killer Whatever
- Bears are Bad News: Well, duh!
- Big Bad
- The Berserker
- Dark is Evil
- Evil Redhead: It's right there in his name.
- Eye Scream: Getting his eye shot resulted in him being unable to hibernate.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Frequently.
- Handicapped Badass: Had his right eye shot out by Gohei, to which the bullet penetrated further into his brain and made him (even more) crazy.
- It Can Think: Knows how to ambush hunters without giving them a chance to fire at him, or stands at a distance that negates clear shots, uses other bears as territory guards, builds himself a fortress of rocks and can predict certain attacks the dogs attempt towards him. In the manga, he's even seen talking at one point, albeit in a different "language" than the dogs.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Meaningful Name: “Red Helmet”
- Off with His Head!: His ultimate defeat by Gin.
- Rasputinian Death: Is attacked over and over by hundreds of dogs, suffers two Battougas and gets shot straight in the chest by Gohei… and still stands up to claw away at his enemies. It takes a well-placed Battouga by Gin to finally finish him off by decapitating him.
A one-armed bear Akakabuto uses as territory guard.
A bear covered in black markings, ending up as Akakabuto’s second territory guard.
- The Berserker
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Is impaled with a huge branch through his mouth out the back of his head by Gin.
- Meaningful Name: “Spots” in reference to his markings.
- Off with His Head!: His introduction is through showing a dog’s head flying through the air, having been torn off by him.