A seventeen year old half-elf
mage, though she ages more slowly than a normal human would
making her look more in the area of twelve. While she starts out irresponsible, selfish, power-hungry, and a bit sadistic she slowly matures over the course of the story
, to the point where she actually feels somewhat compelled to help fix the mistakes she has made. She is somewhat Genre Savvy
several of the tropes on this page by name. She had a crush on Ian, though after he went off the deep end and embarked on a genocidal campaign to exterminate the elves she (mostly) got over it.
However, the two are set back on a collision course (assuming there was a time when they weren't on one, anyway), after she absorbs the essence of the elven god Senilis
.Tropes associated with Meji:
- A God Am I: Funny story, actually. this was the plan Meji had for her final project to graduate from her magic academy. And she actually did it...and still ended up failing the class.
- Badass Boast that doubles as a Kirk Summation:
"There are exactly 763 elves still alive inside this mountain. Some are scared, some are injured, some are buried under the wreckage and will soon die without aid. But 763 are alive. At least for the moment. I can tell because I can feel their heartbeats... every single one... and yours too. I want you to remember that... and remember that I am not the half elf that attacked you today. I'm not Ian because if you do something to make me or any half elf angry... I won't show up here to kick up some dust and make a mess like he would. You will simply stop... fall down dead as I end those heartbeats. And that will be that! Now that we have established that... I suggest you stop bothering me and go save the elves trapped in there while there's still time.
- Character Development: See that Badass Boast above? That was in response to an elf who had just told her that he and his would hunt her to the ends of the earth if she didn't give up her godly powers. Imagine this Meji showing that kind of restraint.
- Decoy Protagonist: Jon and Sarine are the main characters, although Meji is still very important.
- Detached Sleeves: after her mid-series costume change. Her mother is also a fan of this trope.
- Disappeared Dad: Meji's father, the elven ambassador to Tsuiraku, only visits the city about once every two decades. On his previous trip he fathered Meji and he remains unseen until he returns 17 years later. He turns out to be a bit of a dick.
- Genre Savvy
- Half-Human Hybrid: Half-elf, to be precise.
- Lolicon: According to Ellis, these were the only people interested in Meji in Tsuiraku, since being a half-elf makes her look younger than she is.
- Older Than They Look: She's 17 but looks 12 because she's a half-elf. This leads to all kinds of angsting and insecurities.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: She is a powerful mage despite appearing to be 12.
- Vain Sorceress: Meji's mom.
- Unusually, played sympathetically later in the story; Meji's mother is desperately trying to retain her beauty mostly so she can still be desirable to the dashing, immortal elf lord who serves as ambassador to her city every seventeen years. He turns out to be a complete dick who is perfectly fine with the idea of killing his own daughter as a way of maintaining his reputation and apparently was rather vicious in brushing off Meji's mom when they met again after she had carried the torch for seventeen years.
- Meji mentions that there's a bit of a Double Standard involved here. Then Ellis points out that she might qualify herself, given her reasons for studying polymorph magic.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: with Ellis.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: sort of. She never knew her father, and wants to see him at least once to know why he left her. Given that he considers her an abomination as a Half-Elf, this isn't the best idea.
- Yaoi Fangirl with a little Comedic Sociopathy: http://errantstory.com/2003-02-21
Meji's familiar and proof that Cats Are Mean
, Ellis is a loud, obnoxious, winged cat who is (unfortunately) also Made of Iron
.Tropes associated with Ellis:
A Hitman with a Heart
, he starts out trying to maintain an image as a stoic assassin,
but that quickly fades as he shows his true colors.
The resident Badass Normal
, among a cast of magic users he is the only one without a spark of magical talent in him yet is able to defeat most enemies with a combination of creativity, luck, and sharpshooting
. Though on the surface he can appear to be rude, crude, and a bit dim, he can be quite clever at times and is something of a Deadpan Snarker
, especially around Sarine. He also never hesitates to tell any of the several thousand year old elves exactly what he thinks of them.Tropes associated with Jon:
A forty year old
half-elf mage looking for a way to heal his ailing sister.
He starts out as an all around nice guy (if a bit Wangsty
) who constantly worries over the very real possibility of the elves finding and killing him and his loved ones. It doesn't last. Soon after he gets separated from the group he absorbs the powers of the goddess Anilis and becomes a Physical God, albeit a very insane one. After he fails to bring back his now dead sister from the grave he proceeds to blame the elves for all the world's problems and sets out to exterminate the elven race.Tropes associated with Ian:
A three thousand year old
elven ranger who fought in the Errant War that heralded the end of the elven empire, she walks the earth
killing any errants (half-elves who have gone insane) left over from the war. She has a lot of emotional baggage but rarely shows it and was, in fact, rather emotionless
for most of her early appearances. Being forced into new and bizarre situations for the first time in a thousand years has defrosted her a bit, though.
She's revealed herself to be something of a Deadpan Snarker
, particularly when around Jon.Tropes associated with Sarine:
Jon's estranged sister and a relatively new addition to the group, she was a warrior-monk trained
in The Spartan Way
to ridiculous extremes. Between her intense physical training and magical abilities she can move faster than the human eye can track, dodge bullets, and is generally the group's physical powerhouse. She rarely speaks
, more often than not communicating through looks and ellipses. She speaks a little elvish, though her training as a warrior-monk has left her with atrocious people skills.Tropes associated with Sara:
- Action Girl
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Like Sarine, Sara has warmed a little bit, though she's been a bit slower and more awkward about it.
- Disappeared Dad: Sara and Jon's father was killed many years before the main story takes place.
- Distracted by the Sexy: A Tsuiraku battle-mage named Jiro ends up distracted by Sara of all people. Apparently, she made quite the impression on Jiro. Enough so that he actually asked after her later. Like Bani, the rest of us wonder what kind of freaky ninja sex technique she used on him.
- Double Weapon: Sara and Anita both make use of a double bladed Dolon style Durus Flamma, though other Ensigerum monks such as Warrel and Paul utilize a more practical Lancea (spear) form while still others such as Sarine's late husband used the more compact Spatha version. Sarine, during a fight with Sara, Lampshades this, stating that it is a poor weapon that was designed mainly for show and combines the weaknesses of a short sword and a spear into one crappy package. Despite this, Sara and Anita are skilled enough to overcome this handicap in most cases.
- Emotionless Girl: a homicidal 'raised as a soldier' version.
- Full-Contact Magic: Ensigerum warrior-monks makes extensive use of this, when they aren't just beating the living crap out of people normally that is.
- Heel-Face Turn
- Jobber: in one chapter. Mentioned by name here.
- Off with His Head!: to an elf named Rainae.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: she is a deadly warrior-monk despite still being relatively young.
- Strong Family Resemblance: with Jon
- The Stoic: though she's started to talk more as of late.
- The Worf Effect: lampshaded, with a Shout-Out to TV Tropes, here.
Head of the Ensigerum, an order of monks and assassins (think Ninja
with the ability to manipulate time) that live in a Hidden Elf Village
(ironic in view of their "relations" with the elves) in the mountains of Veracia. She was promoted to the position after an Epic Fail
on the part of an Ensigerum monk assigned to prevent a Gewehr hit, and as a result, is on a crusade not just to wipe out the Gewehr in Veracia, but every bit as important, to humiliate
them first.Tropes associated with Anita: