"One Day More," the Act I finale of Les Miserables. Awesome.
- "Stars" and "Javert's Suicide".
- Don't forget "Do You Hear the People Sing"!
- Especially the more universal reprise version:
Do you hear the people sing, lost in the valley of the night
It is the music of a people who are climbing to the light
For the wretched of the earth, there is a flame that never dies
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise
They will live again in freedom in the garden of the Lord
They will walk behind the plowshare, they will put away the sword
The chain will be broken and all men will have their reward!
Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me?
(Epicness ensues, because that, ladies and gents, is how you do a crescendo.)
- "Who am I? Who am I? I'M JEAN! VAL! JEAN!" "Who am I? TWO-FOUR-SIX-O-ONE!"
- Don't forget this, please~
Believe of me what you will // Men like me can never change
There is a duty that // Men like you
I'm sworn to do // can never change
You know nothing of my life // No, 24601,
All I did was steal some bread // My duty's to the law
You know nothing of the world // You have no rights
You would sooner see me dead // Come with me 24601
But not before I see this // Now the wheel has turned around
justice done // Jean Valjean is nothing now
I am warning you, Javert // Dare you speak to me of crime
I'm a stronger man by far // And the price you had to pay
There is power in me yet // Every man is born in sin
My race is not yet run // Every man must choose his way
I am warning you, Javert // You know nothing of Javert''
There is nothing I won't dare // I was born inside a jail
If I have to kill you here // I was born with scum like you
I'll do what must be done! // I am from the gutter too!
- I've seen the show four times, and Jean Valjean breaking the chair at the end of this number, making it very clear that means what he says has never failed to send chills down my spine. And when he then punches Javert out and escapes, it cranks the moment Up to Eleven.
- The scene on the barricades when Gavroche (who is a pretty badass little kid anyway) calls undercover Javert out.
Gavroche: So never kick a dog/Because he's just a pup/We'll fight like twenty armies and we won't give up/So you'd better run for cover when the pup grows up!