A series of Bishoujo
/ sports anime produced by AIC in 1997.
The two anime series, originally titled Daiundokai
("Great Athletic Meeting") were released by Pioneer
in North America as Battle Athletes
(the original OVAs
) and Battle Athletes Victory
(the TV remake). Both star Dojikko
Akari Kanzaki, the daughter of the legendary athlete Tomoe Midoe, as she strives to join the University Satellite sports competition, where she and dozens of others will compete in a variety of futuristic sports, to see who is Earth's greatest female athlete and champion — the "Cosmo Beauty".
- Alpha Bitch: Ling-Pha.
- Anime Chinese Girl: Wong Ling-Pha.
- Anime Hair: Most of the cast, but especially Akari and Kris.
- Asian Air Head: Akari.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The Headmaster of the Satellite catching a falling shuttle with his bare hands.
- Ax-Crazy: Mylandah/
- Betty and Veronica: Ichino and Kris.
- Bird Run: Both Akari's and Tomoe's fastest runs.
- Blood Knight: Mylandah.
- Break the Cutie: Anna Repsighi in Victory.
- Broken Ace: Jessie.
- Broken Bird: Jessie, once again.
- The Chosen One: Akari
- Credits Running Sequence
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Jessie's squad gets smashed against Lahrri's.
- Cute Bruiser: Most of the cast
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Tanya
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Jessie and Lahhri
- Dirty Old Man: Headmaster Grant in the OVA as he's constantly sneaking into the girls' bath and otherwise finding ways to peep.
- Disappeared Dad: Akari's father never gets any mention. At first.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Tanya.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Akari is this to Kris and Ichino. Jessie, meanwhile, is this in general. Too bad she doesn't swing that way.
- Foreign Fan Service: Jessie
- Game-Breaking Injury: Ichino misses the Cosmo Beauty contest due to an injury. Later, Ayla turns out to be pregnant when Akari scrambles the final 7 competitors.
- Genki Girl: Tanya
- Godiva Hair: Mylandah, while she's working out (topless).
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Played straight for Akari, who is the daughter of Tomoe and just needs confidence to win a triathlon without training for it at all. Her teammates on the University Satellite, though, don't train enough, don't train together, and the team suffers as a result.
- Hot-Blooded: Ichino.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Ichino manages to exemplify every possible Osakan stereotype — she's uncouth, ultra-competitive, extremely proud of her native city, and obsessed with Osaka's Hanshin Tigers baseball team.
- Idiot Hero: Akari.
- Tanya's worse, of course.
- Ill Girl: Jessie's deceased sister
- Improbably Female Cast: Justified, as it's the women's competition.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Jessie Gurtland
- Konami Code: Mylandah uses this to brainhack a Nerilian robot in a three-legged race.
- Love at First Sight: In Victory, this happens to Kris with regard to Akari.
- Love Triangle: Akari/Ichino/Kris. Unresolved as of the end.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Mr. Miracle is actually Akari's Disappeared Dad. Oh, and Akari's Missing Mom Tomoe is the last boss.
- Miracle Rally
- Naked Apron: Averted, but when Anna is acting as Team Chef for the group before the final competition she's only wearing her leotard under her apron, giving the illusion of this in many shots.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Ling-Pha
- Nubile Savage: Tanya
- Pair the Spares: Suggested by Kris, when she suggests that Ichino marry Anna so she can have Akari all to herself.
- Pinky Swear: Between Akari and Ichino about trying to get to University Satellite together.
- Psycho Lesbian: Mylandah, in the OVA.
- Rapid-Fire Typing
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Lahhri (red), Mylandah (blue).
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Kris and Akari in the OVA. Ichino and Akari in the first half of Victory.
- Running Gag: Whenever Akari starts losing, she retreats into Akari House.
- Sacred First Kiss: Ichino's brother stole Akari's. Ichino was not amused.
- In the OVA, Akari gets hers from Kris.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: A bunch, but Kris is the most obvious about it.
- School Swimsuit
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Ling-Pha, of course. It never gets her anywhere.
- Worse, she often helps her competition with her antics.
- It's hard to tell if her grandfather shares the same attitude, but he just seems to care about the fact that she loses (even though winning and then being disqualified for cheating would be a much bigger stain on the family name).
- Serious Business: The fate of the world is at stake in a competition between humans and aliens.
- Smug Snake: The Neriri queen
- Soft Water
- Stalker with a Crush: Mylandah
- Stepford Smiler: Anna slowly develops into The Fake Cutie during the second arc under Mr. Miracle's influence until she has to face down a real psychopath.
- Sweet Tooth: Mr. Miracle.
- Team Pet: Gyubei. In a sense.
- The Big Guy: Kris
- The Idiot from Osaka: Ichino
- The Spartan Way: This is essentially the true purpose of the whole University Satellite/Cosmo Beauty system.
- The Stoic: Ayla and Lahhri.
- The Strategist: Anna
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Ichino and Akari.
- Tsundere: Ichino.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Mr. Miracle virtually runs on chocolate.
- Training from Hell
- Underdogs Never Lose: Akari
- Unnecessary Roughness: Mylandah, and to a lesser extent, Jessie.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: OVA episode 3, Anna's secret.
- The Worf Effect: First done against Jessie, then against Lahhri.
- Yuri Genre
- Zen Survivor: Mr. Miracle.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Akari, Leotard of Power version.