- Adorkable: All 5 of the main cars are cheeky and act like children, yet are all very cute in their own ways.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Maxi can either be interpreted as a diva who acts the way he does because he thinks he's still the star and wants to beat Roary, his main competitor or as an insecure guy who is under a lot of pressure due to being the favored one and acts the way he does due to anxiety.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: The entire episode "Maxi's New Engine" becomes this in "Testing Time for Maxi" when Maxi is called a tractor by PC Pete.
- Jerkass Woobie: Poor Maxi. His actions clearly show that he has insecurity issues. Being Italian like Mr. Carburettor made him the favored one, which is an awful lot of pressure. He constantly bullies the others so they can get a taste of how he feels.
- Narm: Maxi's crying in "Testing Time for Maxi". It sounds so weird, it's funny.
- They Copied It, So It Sucks!: Several people (mainly in the preschool show hatedom) have ranted on this show, claiming it ripped off Cars.
- The Woobie: Roary himself can be considered this. He is constantly being taunted by Maxi, and it often really gets to him. But that is only the beginning. Roary also lives in the shadow of Thomas the Tank Engine and Bob the Builder, whose fame overshadowed him. Although Roary achieved fame, it fizzled out quickly, and Roary faded into obscurity.
YMMV / Roary the Racing Car