Works in this franchise with their own YMMV pages:
- Planet of the Apes (1968)
- Beneath the Planet of the Apes
- Escape from the Planet of the Apes
- Conquest of the Planet of the Apes
- Battle for the Planet of the Apes
- Planet of the Apes (2001)
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- War for the Planet of the Apes
The Franchise in general:
- Broken Base: The timeline debates - was it an endless loop, or did history change?
- Complete Monster: Koba. See that page for details.
- Contested Sequel: The two remakes. The original sequels too, to a lesser extent.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Ricardo Montalban's character in the third and fourth films.
- Fanon Discontinuity: Many deny that the sequels and/or remake exist. The reboot prequel series mostly managed to avert this, with Dawn and War in particular being seen as the only films to rival the original.
- Memetic Mutation:
- "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"
- YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP!!!
- "A planet where APES evolved from MEN?!"
- "That is/is not Ape Law!"
- Sequelitis: Until Dawn, no sequel had nearly as warm a reception as the original (Rise coming the closest), with Battle at the bottom.
- True Art Is Angsty: The reboot movies are far more bleaker that the originals and and have gotten the most praise.
- Adaptation Displacement: The original book by Pierre Boulle.
The TV Series:
- Anvilicious: The television show. Each episode has a moral of the week, although Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: It was much more successful in Britain than at home (although it took until the '90s for the series to get a network screening - in its initial run and repeats thereafter it was shown in every ITV region except STV (Scottish Television, in Central Scotland); Channel 4 gave it its first UK-wide airing in the mid-90s, and both the series and the Compilation Movies regularly turn up on cable TV).
- Retroactive Recognition:
- Marc Singer played Dalton in "The Gladiators".
- Jackie Earle Haley played Kraik in "The Legacy".
- James Naughton's younger brother David Naughton played Dr. Stole in "The Surgeon".
- Michael Conrad played Janor in "The Tyrant".
- Sondra Locke played Amy in "The Cure".
- Special Effects Failure:
- In "The Good Seeds", when the chimpanzee Anto grabs a chicken, the actor Geoffrey Deuel's very human forearms can be seen.
- The blackened teeth of the actors playing apes can often be seen behind their prosthetics.